Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #197
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
I asked the sales guy where I bought my car the last time I was down, and he said the Tanneau covers were crap, that hes had multiple people coming back about the tops not sticking. He said right now there is no GM fix, but he said he would call me if they heard something. I don't see a need in making them order me another if its the same cover, but if its different I sure would make them replace it! Can someone post a picture of a new/replaced cover?
[/IMG]

1970 Camaro ,2011 Red Convertible 2SS,2008 Saturn Sky,2012 Jeep Wrangler
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #198
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Had my vert for 4 days now... hadn't put the top UP since the dealer and I lowered it and installed the (cheap, worthless) tanneau cover before leaving the lot. I Have put 150 miles on the car, mostly driving around town. I hit the hwy this morning and noticed the tanneau cover gettig "wind ripples" near the center as I cruised through.mornig rushhour at 75 mph...then suddenly- pop, there goes one side snap (mind you, there's only 2), and the covers loose and flappin!!! I immediately slowed, got to the shoulder and put it back in place... this is NOT a good sign.

Im gonna contact GM today and let them.know... if ANYONE else is experiencing similar issues, please do the same. These coveres appear very cheaply made and horribly secured. Perhaps if enough people.complain, we can get a recall and a redesign!

ok, here's my 2 cents hope it helps. i have been over 100 mph and no problem with the cover getting air under it. on occasion, the passenger side fastener didnt lock good, and at 40 mph it got air underneath and got my attention!. i pulled the "latch" button or whatever its called you clip the top to. i put a flat washer under and reinstalled. makes it easier to attach properly. may also work for you. i also noticed the clip part on the cover itself was a little bent, perhaps from not being lined up properly, and made it harder to push down until it snapped in place. it would just bend under pushing pressure. spacing it out with the flat washer helped it line up.
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #199
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrykiller1 View Post
ok, here's my 2 cents hope it helps. i have been over 100 mph and no problem with the cover getting air under it. on occasion, the passenger side fastener didnt lock good, and at 40 mph it got air underneath and got my attention!. i pulled the "latch" button or whatever its called you clip the top to. i put a flat washer under and reinstalled. makes it easier to attach properly. may also work for you. i also noticed the clip part on the cover itself was a little bent, perhaps from not being lined up properly, and made it harder to push down until it snapped in place. it would just bend under pushing pressure. spacing it out with the flat washer helped it line up.
Agreed- I know its a PITA to go through all this thread, but its been posted- a small washer (the diameter of the post itself) to give you more room to "catch" it on, and a larger one to hold the plastic down from "buckling"... that coupled with the new cover has me a happy camper!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #200
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
Glad to hear the new top is working better for you Drago.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #201
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road9494 View Post
which direction does the large part of the plastic piece go. towards the wall or towards the bolt??
The instructions that come with the bolts are clear as mud, huh? I installed them with the large part of the plastic towards the bolt head. I have had zero issues with this, and the clips go on easily and secure. My dealer is also installing them this way on all other convertibles that they have received. I have not needed to use any types of additional washers.