Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #43
Lbness

Drives: 2010 ss M6 Aqua Blue
Send a message via AIM to Lbness
My IROC verty ejected its top twice ....
Make your girls happy too
http://www.lisafreede.com/http://www...s/thumbsup.gif
Lbness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #44
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Well Drago, you most definitely have a defect somewhere. I am actually impressed with the tonneau cover and with practice, can get on and off with your eyes closed. Works great on my vert. Definitely suggest going back to the dealer and see what the issue is with yours; good luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #45
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahulk View Post
+1
Seriously??? Don;t you think I have more pressing things to worry about as part of my $45K car is flapping loosley in the wind at 70+ mph on the hwy during rush hour than trying to grab my cell phone and take a picture?!?!?!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #46
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Sorry- had to post the above!

After a 3 day trip from Port Saint Lucie to Winter Haven then Orlando and back, I've made great progress in the tanneau cover area.

First thing I've learned... it STILL sucks, regardless!

Secondly- once attached, slide the entire cover as FAR TO THE REAR as possible- that will help secure the "tucked under" rear panel which is the first to come loose. There's about 3/4-1 inch of "play" in the top when secured, slide it as far back as possible. It helps. After my 300 mile+ trip, I was fairly comfortable with it secured in this manner up to 80mph. There's still a noticable wind "ripple" that goes through it and keeps me glancing in my rear view at it, but it held this way with no problems. However, in a "special" part of the desolate hwy, where the speed limit does actually raise upwards beyond 90mph (really...it does...seriously!!!! :-) ), it did come loose again (roughly 93 mph)... The clips held, but the rear center portion came untucked and wind filled beneath it, causing me to pull over and reattach it.

Honestly- if you attach it correctly and slide it as far back as you can, driving within normal American speed limits, you'll be fine... but who buys a 427 hp car to only do 65 mph??? For me, the constant worry of it "falling off" seriously detracts from the driving experience... and NO- I'm not out there street racing, nor ripping around at 140 mph... but I'd like to do 80-90 mph occassionally, without worrying about pieces of my car falling off!

I've attached a few pics to illustrate the attaching procedure.

Note the ridgid "legde" around the sides, and the extended lip in the frot, side "slots"- those pieces tuck under the decklid, and side frame. The rear "canvas" looking center portion tucks under the trunk opening... no snaps, just lays loosely (and is what keeps lifting at speed.) Theres close ups of the nylon "fork" snaps... a tight fit to install, and just seem cheap and prone to break and/or stretch to me... The last 2- one is the top down, without the cover, so you can get an idea where/how it attaches, and finally- a cell pic taken by my wife as we pulled off the hwy to reattach the top. the Rear passenger side had come loose, we'd already slowed below 40 mph, so it wasn;t flapping badly when she took it, but you can still see how it's uneven and loose as we were driving...
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #47
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I am going to call on this. Search around, there is a pic of 4 people riding around in a CTF vert in Detroit in the snow. It was in the 20s the day they had it out. A safety lock at a temp is assinine. If I want to put the top down in 20 degree weather, thats my call.

OK dude, now you're being redicular. Put the freakin top down leave the stupid boot in the trunk and drive the hell out of it. Its not going to hurt the top. 90% of people with convertible anythings dont use the PITA boot. I have had several drop tops and unless I was going to a car show, it stayed in the trunk. Stop whining already.
Sorry- Not a CHANCE IN HELL! the wind flops around so much in the top without the tanneau cover, there's no WAY I'd drive without it! It looks to me like it will stratch the hell outta the top! I've driven other verts too- and not had this problem, you drive a 2011 Camaro vert- then come talk to me about it!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #48
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
That is a boot cover from what we've had in the past, and doesn't look like it fits well. A tonneau cover actually covers at least the back seat normally. You might like one of those more. I'll bet you will be able to find one soon.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #49
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeokie View Post
That is a boot cover from what we've had in the past, and doesn't look like it fits well. A tonneau cover actually covers at least the back seat normally. You might like one of those more. I'll bet you will be able to find one soon.
Yeah, symantix... just calling it by what GM refers to it as. I am hoping for a good aftermarket "boot", something that is rigid and secures better. Thus one looks.good on, butnot.worth the headaches.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #50
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

One other side note-

I took off the tanneau posts (installed by the dealer) to add a washer and extend the accessible portion if the post a bit to ease the attacment of the clips. If anyone else tries this, remove the top portion of the trim plastic FIRST, allowing access to the back of the post...otherwise the clips on the other end of the screw will end up somewhere in your frame...

$2 fix at Lowes, but an unnecessary annoyance had I known first!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #51
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Did you write something on your left hand?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #52
BRMcamaro1LE

Drives: 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Missing posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Did the dealer install the posts correctly that those little fork clips go on? Should have been two posts included with the cover, and those posts are dealer installed. There is a bulletin showing how those posts have to be installed, and the plastic corner trim sitting over the cloth trim near the post. Is your cloth trim tucked under the plastic corner trim near the posts? It should be.
Can somebody help me out an post a link or a number for the bulletin listed above? We are having some trouble even finding a part number for these posts, and they are nowhere to be found in the Convert we just had dropped off at our dealership. Thanks in advance.
BRMcamaro1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #53
BRMcamaro1LE

Hey guys we were having some issues at my dealership figuring out the part number for the posts that the tonneau cover attaches to. After a while we were able to figure out some info that may be helpful to others on here so I thought I'd share.

The part number for the posts is 22770125. If you walk in to your dealership they will tell you this part number is for a "Bag." That is what GM's system has these posts listed as. It is an incorrect listing but this is the correct part number.

If anybody is looking for the service bulletin regarding the PDI install of these posts it is #PI0351
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #54
eyeno

Drives: Solstice
The part number you listed is for the complete tonneau cover kit (storage bag, tonneau cover, posts and instructions). Have your dealer contact GM by sending in a product report on the missing parts. GM will send the parts to your dealership for your car.
eyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #55
BRMcamaro1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeno View Post
The part number you listed is for the complete tonneau cover kit (storage bag, tonneau cover, posts and instructions). Have your dealer contact GM by sending in a product report on the missing parts. GM will send the parts to your dealership for your car.
I actually work at a dealership it's for an in-stock car. Nobody we have spoken to through parts (VAC, etc) has ANY clue about the posts. The first guy said it's factory installed but then we sent him the bulletin about installing them during PDI. Do you have the part number for just the bolt if what I listed is indeed not it?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #56
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
The posts come inside the bag that has the instructions for installing the cover. You remove the plastic clips and then bolt the posts into place.

It takes about 15 minutes to install.