Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
This makes me sick

yet again. Whos next?

The gov really needs to do something about this type of crap. If there is a safety defect in your vehicle that can potentially kill someone it needs to be mandated by the law to be fixed asap and not left up to the manufacturer to get around to it when they feel like it.

http://jalopnik.com/5715961/ford-slo...ect-gets-rossd

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
CamK18

Drives: 2010 1LT Vic Red
That is negligence at its finest ladies and gentlemen. I hope they sue the pants off Ford and get as much compensation as possible...although nothing can replace a family member.

If those roll bars weren't sticking 3 feet out from every corner of that van, that thing would have flipped numerous times...at that was only at 35 MPH? Let's see what happens at 60 MPH...Sickening.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamK18 View Post
That is negligence at its finest ladies and gentlemen. I hope they sue the pants off Ford and get as much compensation as possible...although nothing can replace a family member.

If those roll bars weren't sticking 3 feet out from every corner of that van, that thing would have flipped numerous times...at that was only at 35 MPH? Let's see what happens at 60 MPH...Sickening.
In that video it looked to be a newer Freestar and not even a Windstar though.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Every make is guilty of this. Until our government steps up this will continue.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Every make is guilty of this. Until our government steps up this will continue.
unfortunately, very true.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Why do we need the government to babysit us? The best solution for this kind of thing is for the government to stay the hell out of the way. The government can't do anything about this. What is the government going to do, mandate that as soon as a problem is found in ONE car you issue a recall for every car in the model line? Seriously if the government gets involved in every little freaking problem your 35K Camaro will eventually cost well over 100K. Why you ask will the price go up so much, simple car companies will not eat the cost of potentially recalling every mass produced automobile and will simple build that potential cost into the price of every car. So with hundreds of thousands of parts on any given car times hundreds of thousands of dollars in recall expenses your average car will be astronomically unaffordable by anybody and every car manufacturer will go out of business. Now is getting the government involved in this really such a good idea?
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I'm glad we don't drive a Ford van in my household.....not just for being non-safe but because they look dorky.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Just put some firestone tires on it and really live on the edge!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
JaxJags

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepwr View Post
JaxJags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Why do we need the government to babysit us? The best solution for this kind of thing is for the government to stay the hell out of the way. The government can't do anything about this. What is the government going to do, mandate that as soon as a problem is found in ONE car you issue a recall for every car in the model line? Seriously if the government gets involved in every little freaking problem your 35K Camaro will eventually cost well over 100K. Why you ask will the price go up so much, simple car companies will not eat the cost of potentially recalling every mass produced automobile and will simple build that potential cost into the price of every car. So with hundreds of thousands of parts on any given car times hundreds of thousands of dollars in recall expenses your average car will be astronomically unaffordable by anybody and every car manufacturer will go out of business. Now is getting the government involved in this really such a good idea?
The only positive way I can see the government getting involved with this situation is to mandate better safety inspections, or perhaps requiring a quick response time on all recall notifications (especially for ones that are potentially life threatening like this). Other than that, the judicial system is more than capable of handling the lawsuits that will not doubt result from this. Very tragic that the Bowman family received the recall notice a week too late.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepwr View Post
There were times when I was tempted to put Firestones on my old exploder. But I would have cheated myself out of 4500 bucks in trade so..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Ok, I am going to play the devils advocate here. So this affects windstars from 98 to 03. Which means the oldest one has been on the road 12-13 years depending on original sale date. So, in that 8-13 years the axle began to rust, not unexpected. Also, the recall is limited to northern states which use salt to combat icy roads. So, the implication is that the salt exacerbated the typical rust that one would expect.

Based on that one has to ask what happened to routine maintenance checks? I'm not saying everything would be caught there. What about those who see rust on the body, which is painted and sealed while axles are raw metal, was that dismissed? I read most of the comments in the article and the theme was that they noticed something before the axle broke, not 100% but most, such as their rear end going one direction while they were steering another or a loud sound which wasn't present before.

These cars clearly aren't new and have significant mileage on them. There have been no problems in the south reported. The axles aren't snapping at 40k... More like 100-140k.

Think about it as a whole.

Thoughts?

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Apparently we are going to have mandated backup cameras in all cars by 2015 (or so the rumor is) due to 225 or so people a year die from being backed over....yet cigarettes kill 500,000 a year and ....????? The Gov cannot regulate every aspect of our life (happy meals in CA?) but when they do shouldn't there be some common sense involved? THAT I would vote for.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote