Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Possibly trading in the camaro. Opinions and advice please!

I have te opportunity to possibly trade in my camaro for a c6 vette. I'm looking at 06-07 ls2 z51s or if I can pinch a few more pennies a 08-09 ls3. I'm buying another manual so no auto paddles here. I owe about 7.5k left on the camaro. I have about 12k miles on it and kbb values my car at 18.5k trade in for a dealer or 20k for private party. I can make some early payments and own my car soon. And I should have at least 5k to put down possibly more. This should male my loan and note very small on the vette. And I called my insurance and it'll drop 30 bucks a month. The vettes I'm looking at have less than 25-30k miles on them. So what would you guys do? Love my camaro but I've always wanted a vette and even an LS2 6spd should run hard pretty hard with a few things done to it.

Side note: I may possibly buy a cheap used civic after the vette for a couple thousand just so I have something in case something comes up with the vette or if I have to send it to supercharged one day
What would you guys do and why? Help me out.

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
What are you going to be using it for?

If it's a DD, I certainly wouldn't trade a current model Camaro for a C6 Vette. The interiors of those cars were awful.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
MpCamaro

Drives: Camaro
Cam_cam brings up a good point, what are you going to use the vehicle for?

Is it just going to be a daily driver? If so I would just pick whatever I liked better.

If your going to be racing, you may want to sit down and make up a build sheet for both cars and see where you come out on a TOTAL build price for each car. Finding parts for either one obviously would be easy.

It is nice to see your insurance go down! lol
MpCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
crc91

It'd be a daily driver. I've sat and rose in one before interior doesn't bother me. And I'd hopefully be able to use it as an occasional weekend HPDE car.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
grand sport or Z06 in the budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Ok op, I have (currently) a 13 ss ls3 manual with tons of mods, I have a 2009 Z06 with mods, and I just sold my 2006 ls2 C6 automatic 2 weeks ago (yes I had 3 at the same time).

The ls2 vette is lots of fun but definitely needs a few mods to feel fast. The ls2 intake manifold sucks and is worthless, definitely needs an upgrade (fast intake and throttle body). Without a cam it is sluggish on the bottom end as well. Nothing a tune, headers, and exhaust can't handle

As far as an ls3 goes, just do cold air intake, headers, exhaust and a tune and my friend you are definitely in a happy place (performance wise).

Now as for a Z06 it's a whole 'nuther' animal (mine has bolt on's) and at times is scary lol. It will get away from you! If I were you I would try to negotiate a good deal on a 07 ls2 car with low miles and have money on the side for mods right away because they are kind of slow stock. That is my .02 gl either way and let us know. Feel free to pm me btw for questions if I can help ya out.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:57 AM   #7
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Personally, I hate going "backwards" technologically speaking. If I went from my '14 Camaro to an '06 Corvette, I'd be afraid the car would feel outdated...there's a lot of technology lost going back 8 years. That said, any C6 will feel special. A non-Z06 will have a lift off roof and if you get the transparent roof panel, the green house effect is very cool - glass everywhere! The power to weight ratio of Corvettes is great and they cruise down the road nicely. Miles are a Corvettes worst enemy resale wise, so be mindful of that.

The good news is there are super deals to be had on all C6 Corvettes now that the C7 is out. Your money should go a long ways! Let us know, good luck!

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
how many miles do you put on the car. tires will need to be replaced allot more often. your probably going to be upside down on the payment. I think any c6 is a upgrade from a v6 camaro. me though. id wait until i could get a 6.2l 10 or newer c6.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-02-2015 at 02:29 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
crc91

Lots of good advice here guys. Thanks ! A grand sport and z06 c6 are out of my budget I could afford a c5Z but def not a c6. Part of me is thinking of getting a lt1 95-96 c4 (but probably an lt4 and using that as a fun car and my camaro as a daily. I'd pay cash for the c4. Thoughts? I was always a sucker for the c4 body style.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #10
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
My first chevy was a c4, unless you get a 1996 and newer I wouldn't even consider it. Now I do have C5 Z06 and I love it but like another post said the technology is outdated, parts are scarce, some parts are not even remanufactured no more, the seats will move unless you take it apart and replace a few washers, the camaro is light years away in comfort and technology.
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
My first chevy was a c4, unless you get a 1996 and newer I wouldn't even consider it. Now I do have C5 Z06 and I love it but like another post said the technology is outdated, parts are scarce, some parts are not even remanufactured no more, the seats will move unless you take it apart and replace a few washers, the camaro is light years away in comfort and technology.
Kind of what I was thinking. I recently sold an LT4 that I had for 8 years. It needed a rebuild and I just didn't have the money to have it done, nor the space or time to do it myself, which I really wanted to do. Technology aside, I loved that car, it was a blast to drive. But, if you go this route, you need tools, ability, a field service manual, and a garage. Regardless of condition, it will be almost 20 years old.

A decent LT4 can be had for $9K-14K. The '96 is a good solid car and obdII, so tuning is easier. They drive solid and have a decent interior that really feels like a cockpit, but it can be tight if your a big guy.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
Beardface

Drives: '11 topless 2LT RS & '05 Altima SER
Quote:
Love my camaro but I've always wanted a vette
That's the most important part of your statement. If the vette is your dream car and you can make it work, go for it. If you can still live relatively comfortably financially and get the car you've always wanted, do it.

Personally, I would hold off a couple years and go for a C7, as I absolutely love the styling on that make.
Beardface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
if it was me, I would forget buying any "older" Corvette and just wait for the 6th Gen Camaro SS, I have a feeling it's going to be a beast ........ just my opinion .........
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
if it was me, I would forget buying any "older" Corvette and just wait for the 6th Gen Camaro SS, I have a feeling it's going to be a beast ........ just my opinion .........
In all seriousness, this makes the most sense. I have a feeling that the gen6 is going be alot closer to the Corvette, and probably better than any past gen Corvette. But this is pure speculation of course.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, sell, trade in, upgrade, vette