Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
Swirls ect. on black paint

I think I read just about everything on how to correct swirls in black paint but there was one issue I did not see covered. I just bought a 2011 2SS convertible and the paint looks great from about 10 feet but when the sun hits it looks like a detailer at the dealership buffed it with a pad dipped in sand. The thing is I know the paint has that dealership protectant on it because when it rained yesterday, it beaded up like no other. So I guess my question is do I need to do anything before I try to get the swirls out?
I planned on using Meguires Ultimate Compound first and then Ultimat Polish, and follow it up with a good wax. There may be some spots I need to clay too. Anyway, any help is appreciated, I just want to do it before its a 1000 degrees here in another month.
ALSO, With waterless wash, Can I use it when the car gets dusty? Do I just spray on and wipe off?
Thanks
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
I always wash with dish soap or add a little all purpose cleaner to my bucket. Either will strip most anything off. Clay it then correct
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
skongolf

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Black Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
I always wash with dish soap or add a little all purpose cleaner to my bucket. Either will strip most anything off. Clay it then correct
What all purpose cleaner do you use?
skongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I'd contact the dealer first and ask what protectant they used. If it beads that well, it might be something high-end that you don't want to strip off, or at least maybe reapply after swirl removal.

Once you have the swirls out, be careful with waterless wash. You don't want to wipe it off, at least not with any pressure, or you'll just be low-grit wet-sanding the dirt right back into the finish. I spray a bunch of WW on, then fold a towel a few times, hold it by one end and drag it across the finish to pick up as much loose debris as I can, doing that a couple of times until I feel that it's safe to lightly wipe it 100% clean. Also, use A LOT of towels and change them often. And don't be shy about using too much WW. If you live in an area with water restrictions, you should look into one of the concentrates that you mix yourself - it's much more cost-effective that way. A California Duster is another option to remove a majority of dust, but some say they cause swirls. Some say it won't if it's used properly. Honestly, I don't know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #5
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
I do the same. Sunlight to wash and strip, then clay bar to remove dirt. Always clay first with black, any dirt will cause switls etc. Polish with menzerna for serious repair and then finish with mothers polishing compound on low setting to remove holograms and swirls. Wax to seal it all in. Its worth the money for a good machine like porter cable or griots, especially on black.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Being that you live in an area that has very hot temperatures on a regular basis, I'd use a paint sealant. Black base color gets hot very quick in direct sunlight, wax melts around 180*F, sealants are around 300*F.

For removing dust, a California duster, used properly with a WW, and high quality Korean microfiber, will be fine.

If the surface has any type of road film, or stuck on dirt, don't use WW. A 2 bucket wash w/foam gun is the safest way to clean your paint. You can also use the WW as a drying aid.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Compound is mainly used for light surfaced scratches and major swirl marks. If you want to remove light swirls then a machine polish will do the trick. The best way to get to those swirls is to use dish detergent soap to get rid of the wax and have easier access to the swirls. Or use some all purpose cleaner in car shampoo that choice is yours. After the wash and dry, you can claybar to get more of the dirt under the wax. Then depending on the severity of the swirls and scratches that's where you want to machine compound and polish or just machine polish. In the next couple of weeks I am going the whole nine yards on my car using this method and more. If you don't have the time to do detailing then take it to a detail shop and have them do it for a fee.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
Before waxing, I suggest using SwirlX. You can apply it by hand.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Like mentioned you would want to do a strip wash then clay. You can add a couple oz's of All purpose cleaner to your wash water that will strip any wax or sealant. Then proceed to polishing.
Check out this video!

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Perhaps it's just me, but a California Duster? A black car in the AZ heat? 1990's car care technology for sure. I used to, I wouldn't do it anymore. No matter how lightly you wipe that thing across a painted surface you're going to induce marring, might take a while, but you will.

Think about it. The strands are cotton, do you wipe your car down with a cotton towel any longer? I hope not, South Korean Microfiber towels. The cotton strands on the California Duster are coated with wax, paraffin wax. Would you wipe your car down with a cotton towel that has wax on it? Probably not. How about if that cotton towel had been used many times without being washed? Yea, the manufacturer claims the dust is drawn up into the fibers, why does the one in the video look so black at the ends of the strands? My guess, it's the dust from previous uses.

Waterless Wash or a Rinseless Wash. Spray liberally and carefully wipe the dust away with a Waterless Wash specific microfiber towel. If you look at the vehicle and wonder if it's too dirty for the Waterless Wash wipe down it probably is. Do a two bucket wash.

I'd recommend Adam's Premium Car Care as a good source for the Waterless wash, Rinseless Wash and Premium Microfiber towels. Heck, he's even a sponsor on this board, helping to keep it running.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Cool AirZ28

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Convert.
When done properly in a black car all you have to do is Polish it to keep it looking like glass
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS-Smoked tail lights and side markers, HID log lights, & LED lighting inside/outside the car, SJM LED Cupholder, SJM full dashboard ABL lighting, ZL1 Rockers, 1LE Splitter, Showstopper LED Mirrors, Showstopper LED Side Markers, & Showstopper Heat Extractor Hood, 20" Niche Concourse ZL1 Styled wheels 20X8.5 & 20X10 with 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 Nitto Invos, Black Gorilla Lug Nuts/Locks, Black Billet Elite Camaro License Plate Holder, and Hydro Dipped Speedo/Shifter/AC-Heat Bezels.
Cool AirZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but a California Duster? A black car in the AZ heat? 1990's car care technology for sure. I used to, I wouldn't do it anymore. No matter how lightly you wipe that thing across a painted surface you're going to induce marring, might take a while, but you will.

Think about it. The strands are cotton, do you wipe your car down with a cotton towel any longer? I hope not, South Korean Microfiber towels. The cotton strands on the California Duster are coated with wax, paraffin wax. Would you wipe your car down with a cotton towel that has wax on it? Probably not. How about if that cotton towel had been used many times without being washed? Yea, the manufacturer claims the dust is drawn up into the fibers, why does the one in the video look so black at the ends of the strands? My guess, it's the dust from previous uses.

Waterless Wash or a Rinseless Wash. Spray liberally and carefully wipe the dust away with a Waterless Wash specific microfiber towel. If you look at the vehicle and wonder if it's too dirty for the Waterless Wash wipe down it probably is. Do a two bucket wash.

I'd recommend Adam's Premium Car Care as a good source for the Waterless wash, Rinseless Wash and Premium Microfiber towels. Heck, he's even a sponsor on this board, helping to keep it running.
I agree 100%! My GTO has only been washed with water 4 times, all the rest of the time (after every drive) Waterless Wash or Detail Spray wipe downs.
This pic speaks for itself!

Name:  IMG_3529.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  181.5 KB
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
How bout you send some of that patriot wax this way lol.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #14
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post

Show me the place on the car being done in the video that has swirls? You can't because their aren't any.

Again this is a garage queen, not a DD, the dust being removed is not stuck to the surface, simply sitting on top. Normal dust you get in a garage.

Used properly, it's impossible to scratch the finish with a California duster. You don't press it down on the paint, you lightly kiss the surface. UWW has better lubricity then Adams WW or Detail Spray, I have all 3 products.

Plus it's $18 for 5.5 gallons vs. $30 - $45 for 1 gallon of Adams.

Nothing against Adams, but if I can get a product that costs much less and works better, it makes common sense to use it.

In case you weren't aware, they make Cali Dusters now with microfiber instead of cotton.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 04-13-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote