Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: If a modded car below VIN ~25,000 experiences output shaft failure, GM should:
Fix it under warranty since there is a known defect in these builds. 20 86.96%
Not fix it under warranty and assume the additional power caused the failure. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
What do YOU think GM should do about the Output Shaft Failure Issue?

The concern over the output shaft failures in the early 2010 TR6060’s is probably not going to go away as long as there are cars out there that are still under warranty.
I’ve been informed that John Fitzpatrick and Al Oppenheiser have been previously unaware of the warranty denials on cars that experience this failure and have modifications.
If GM’s goal truly is customer satisfaction, this poll should give them a nice, overall view of their customers’ expectations. Perhaps it will help them make an informed decision about how to proceed and handle future cases. And, I’m just curious what general consensus is.

If a modified car with a VIN below ~25,000 experiences output shaft failure, what do YOU think GM should do?
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Partick

I think it should be handled on a case by case basis, only GM truly knows what vin's were effected and they should be willing to be upfront about it. A pre 25k vin could have a perfectly good output shaft that fails under stock or modded power. But those that are suspect should be replaced without resorting to what you had to go through. jmho
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
I believe GM should make this list public and notify the owners like they promised.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
EDIT: I see your sig but make it clear that you broke YOUR tranny.

And the second choice should read different. It's kinda negative. It gives the assumption that you knew the failure was not caused by the mods. Plus, the consumer is going to always side against the business. This poll is like a CNN poll on how the Republicans are doing.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
screw modded. what about us stockers? If there is an issue I'd like GM to really contact us and fix an issue. I'm tired of being nervous everytime I want to leave a light hard for fear of busting something.

As far as modded, i see it from both sides. if you mod and something breaks it should be on you if the mod breaks it. BUT if its a know issue with GM the mods shouldnt' matter, imho. As long as they leave these "questions" on the table ppl will want them fixed under warranty modded or not. I've put nothing on my car yet becasue of all these issues and I know how big a POS my local dealer is.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
mwt18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
EDIT: I see your sig but make it clear that you broke YOUR tranny.

And the second choice should read different. It's kinda negative. It gives the assumption that you knew the failure was not caused by the mods. Plus, the consumer is going to always side against the business. This poll is like a CNN poll on how the Republicans are doing.
Ok, I BROKE MY TRANNY. Is it clear now?

I do see your point about the second choice. Without any testing, GM has to make an assumption, tho. They can assume the extra power broke it or they can assume the known defect caused it to fail.
So, I would reword the first choice to read: "Fix it under warranty and assume the known defect caused the failure."
I can't edit the poll, tho. If a mod would like to change it, go for it..
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
Ok, I BROKE MY TRANNY. Is it clear now?

I do see your point about the second choice. Without any testing, GM has to make an assumption, tho. They can assume the extra power broke it or they can assume the known defect caused it to fail.
So, I would reword the first choice to read: "Fix it under warranty and assume the known defect caused the failure."
I can't edit the poll, tho. If a mod would like to change it, go for it..
Fair enough.

I didn't see your mods in your sig the first time. But what kind of power were you putting down is what I meant. YOu may get a different response if you have a CAI and catback on your car as apposed to 550 RWHP.

Just seems like this poll isn't gonna mean anythning. Of course most people are going to want to have their tranny fixed under warranty.

And the fact that either testing, or an assumption either way has to be made is the problem I have with it. They shouldn't have to do either.

The post from the above poster about case by case is absolutely valid. If a car company is goint to start fixing cars after being heavily moded then it should be case by case. In your situation, there is no way you could ever prove that your added power didn't contribute.

Not sure of the power you were putting down but FI type power is WAY over stock numbers.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
I broke my trans too....because there was in improperly treated output shaft installed in it.

GM replaced mine under warranty with no questions asked.

I also blew up my engine the following week....the exact cause will never be known, but with this I am on my own due to the mods which is fine by me.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I broke my trans too....because there was in improperly treated output shaft installed in it.

GM replaced mine under warranty with no questions asked.

I also blew up my engine the following week....the exact cause will never be known, but with this I am on my own due to the mods which is fine by me.
Whoa....... I fogot about your tranny. The covered it no problem. I didn't think about that. Did they ever check for the power mods?

I'm sure they must have known which leads me to wonder if they never blinked at yours, then why the trouble with others. I wonder it they have a list of effected vins and deny the ones not on the list?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Whoa....... I fogot about your tranny. The covered it no problem. I didn't think about that. Did they ever check for the power mods?

I'm sure they must have known which leads me to wonder if they never blinked at yours, then why the trouble with others. I wonder it they have a list of effected vins and deny the ones not on the list?
They were totally aware of the mods, as you now know a cam is a tough mod to hide.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
mwt18

Quote:
Fair enough.

I didn't see your mods in your sig the first time. But what kind of power were you putting down is what I meant. YOu may get a different response if you have a CAI and catback on your car as apposed to 550 RWHP.

I've got about 500 rwhp and 430 ft-lb peak torque with a very conservative tune. I actually had them bring the rev limiter down 200 rpm below stock.

And the fact that either testing, or an assumption either way has to be made is the problem I have with it. They shouldn't have to do either.

Maybe a coin flip would be a better alternative?

Quote:
GM has no list! It's all about the dealer and the way they present it to GM.

Last edited by mwt18; 07-08-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
Mwt18 had his warranty denied just because they opened his hood. What is sad is that he bought the camaro with a defective tranny and he had to prove that it was defective from the factory. Kudos to him for sticking with the fight and not let GM sweep up another defective tranny under the rug which they refused to fix.
They also stated he wasn't on the list lol. Even though he did prove that the output shaft was defective and mod or no mod it would of eventually snapped. GM flat out lied to us on contacting and fixing the problem. Just drive and see what happens and hope it breaks after warranty. This is the only thing that gets me angry on how GM is dealing with this situation besides that LOVE my SS.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans2SS View Post
screw modded. what about us stockers? If there is an issue I'd like GM to really contact us and fix an issue. I'm tired of being nervous everytime I want to leave a light hard for fear of busting something.

As far as modded, i see it from both sides. if you mod and something breaks it should be on you if the mod breaks it. BUT if its a know issue with GM the mods shouldnt' matter, imho. As long as they leave these "questions" on the table ppl will want them fixed under warranty modded or not. I've put nothing on my car yet becasue of all these issues and I know how big a POS my local dealer is.
I was in your postion, i have a car with a 17k range and possible output shaft failure. i was very hesitant to mod because of fear like you have. i said the hell with it and modded away, hoping...praying...burning candles...etc... that my output shaft survives.

but it sucks that you cant touch your car over fear that you have a defective unit from the factory
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

So then in you guys opinions I should have been able to complain to the BBB and have GM replace my lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
Even though he did prove that the output shaft was defective and mod or no mod it would of eventually snapped.
No he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
They were totally aware of the mods, as you now know a cam is a tough mod to hide.
The techs down here might miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
GM has no list! It's all about the dealer and the way they present it to GM.
My dealers won't even work on my car.

Closed Thread