Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #1051
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Lose the MR and insert Pedders Supercars for the serious Z/28 They could ship the cars on dummy dampers and coils

1) Wouldn't it be nice if the Z also shipped with vacuum bagged light lay up Carbon Fibre doors, hood and deck lid and even better a bonded carbon center roof section.

A Pedders Justice kit matched up to 19x10.5 or if we are forced by bumper regs, 10.5x20 with 305/30s all round.

Coated and wrapped headers out to a titanium exhaust from a newly upgraded LS7.

A hoop behind the driver's seat is essential to mount a point of five point harnesses.

Skip the CTS-V brakes and go straight to the 'good stuff' from Brembo.

Seperate the clutch and brake reservoirs into two independent reservoirs.

Do I get in trouble if our new Z/28 is faster than a ZL1 and Z06. I don't care. It was all Flouders idea anyway. JP was dead set against this from the start.

2) Do I get in trouble in the thread if my Z/28 sells for more than a ZL1, even though it will be faster, but more importantly faster than the pesky mustang?
Pete, I think the "secret", here, is to get the ZEE "on the street"...and let the aftermarket (and your friends @ GMPP) cater to the "peripherals".

1) Kerry Hitt @ ACP would be a possible/likely source for "bagged" c/f. Lots of previous GM/Corvette expertise, and his "World Challenge" WideBody kit was sure welcomed on C5-Z06s. Our One Lap Vette was quite successful with his body/hood/wing/splitter combo.

Another "opportunity" lies with rear-quarter brake ducts (with plumbing), ala Leno. ACS/Joseph, are you out there? These folks have existing Camaro cache'...

Something else...Pete, you and I and a few others could live with this car in "LS" form...NO rear spoiler, standard. Then, put on what (if any) YOU want...Blade, Wing, Bi-Wing, "basket-hoop"...or just leave it alone.

2) Pesky "pintos" will be problem-free for this i-car-nic ZEE...regardless of price! Raid makes a repellent for such pests...it's called LS7!

In pricing this car, with widely-available "racy" features on the official Option list, the "process" will bog down and, with GM's normal margins added, become a non-starter IMVHO. Let GMPP and others "have at it"...

If all else fails, Package SSX, from GMPP, would be a worthy addition for "those inclined"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #1052
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
It must have been that Viper ring record that sucked me into 'scope creep'.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #1053
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It must have been that Viper ring record that sucked me into 'scope creep'.
I wonder what made the 10 second difference?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #1054
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I wonder what made the 10 second difference?
different driver, different day
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #1055
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

I stopped at my local Mopar Dealer today to git me one o' them-there Acie-aRs...and they walked me around the corner to the Used Car Dep't...
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #1056
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I don't think that will be a problem......I'm fairly certain we are all on the same page here with what we're after.

Get your friends to come it and help us. Tomorrow we have free pizza and beer.

Why do we always have it on tomorrows?

Last edited by Fightinfire921; 09-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #1057
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I don't think that will be a problem......I'm fairly certain we are all on the same page here with what we're after.
Sometimes "less" is MORE...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1058
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
The more I think about it, the more I doubt that a Z28 is in the near future. While Chevrolet has just released the ZL1's specs and are advertising the car to be track ready, research and development of even more of a track car could greatly and negatively affect sales and hype of the ZL1. With a power to weight ratio of or around 7.80, the Z28 would be very close to the ZL1's 7.24 even during the 1st lap (think ZR1 and Z06). You begin to factor in eventual heat soak, 4200lb curb weight, MSRP+markup and the ZL1 doesn't stand a chance over a multiple lap contest.

I have heard of horsepower losses from 20-40rwhp from heat soak and depending on the computer, it could possibly pull timing (pretty common) affecting horsepower even further. Not a wise decision releasing two Z's and seeing as the LS7 is just a better engine on the inside, those who mod their cars will obviously chose a cheaper LS7 Z28 option over the more expensive LSA ZL1. What can a heat soaked 4200lb car do while actually producing 20-40rwhp less and possibly much less after timing is pulled to an NA, fully forged engine making almost the same power in a car that weighs 250lbs less? Not a great marketing strategy if you ask me... Unless sales continue to fall forcing Chevrolet to push out a new model for attention (which is a big possibility), I don't see them polluting the their own market.

If they make the Z28 too inexpensive, it will affect the sales of the SS and by the looks of the numbers last spring, the V6 is already threatening the SS as is...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #1059
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

43 pages and 1060 posts to get to, "ain't gonna happen..."

Have faith, Grasshopper...or at least HOPE!

fbod-daddio said hisself, "We'll build no ZEE before its time..." or words to that effect, and this would be the 1st Gen in Camaro history NOT to receive its most proper iteration.

BOSS, in certain environments, will give the much-pricier GT 500 fits. BOSS deserves a proper competitor...and, with an LS7 and careful/proper "suspenders", would be a proper supervisory bronc-buster...AND snake-charmer...no?

YES!

BTW, if GM sells an SS...or a ZL1...or a ZEE...they sell ONE...and the "other guys" sell Z-ROW. And be assured each version will be profitable... And speakin' of rowin', BOTH them other guys'll be up a creek without the paddle against a ZL/ZEE double-whammy!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #1060
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The more I think about it, the more I doubt that a Z28 is in the near future. While Chevrolet has just released the ZL1's specs and are advertising the car to be track ready, research and development of even more of a track car could greatly and negatively affect sales and hype of the ZL1. With a power to weight ratio of or around 7.80, the Z28 would be very close to the ZL1's 7.24 even during the 1st lap (think ZR1 and Z06). You begin to factor in eventual heat soak, 4200lb curb weight, MSRP+markup and the ZL1 doesn't stand a chance over a multiple lap contest.

I have heard of horsepower losses from 20-40rwhp from heat soak and depending on the computer, it could possibly pull timing (pretty common) affecting horsepower even further. Not a wise decision releasing two Z's and seeing as the LS7 is just a better engine on the inside, those who mod their cars will obviously chose a cheaper LS7 Z28 option over the more expensive LSA ZL1. What can a heat soaked 4200lb car do while actually producing 20-40rwhp less and possibly much less after timing is pulled to an NA, fully forged engine making almost the same power in a car that weighs 250lbs less? Not a great marketing strategy if you ask me... Unless sales continue to fall forcing Chevrolet to push out a new model for attention (which is a big possibility), I don't see them polluting the their own market.

If they make the Z28 too inexpensive, it will affect the sales of the SS and by the looks of the numbers last spring, the V6 is already threatening the SS as is...
After reading your post I think you helped make the case for the Z28. It's as much about pricepoint as anything. One only has to look to the Mustang. GT, Boss and GT500. I won't buy a ZL1 mostly due to pricepoint. Plus I would prefer an LS7 based Z28. Someone who wants more sport than a V6 or a... moves up to what they can afford and/or what fits their wants. Don't worry, I don't expect a Mustang owner to fight for the Z28 as much as me.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #1061
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

With initial allocations to dealers for the ZL1 due in about 6 weeks, we'll see what their intended capacity is for the ZL1...and if demand far outstrips "supply", there may well be a valid opportunity for somethings else to plug the hole.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #1062
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Hey Pete is 2.99 finished with his Z28 yet?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #1063
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

2.99 how involved is Pete in your design?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #1064
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Hey Pete is 2.99 finished with his Z28 yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
2.99 how involved is Pete in your design?
...this is gonna be good....

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro