Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #29
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Hey guys I have a dumb question about this HID kit.

Did you have to put a ballast in for each light? or can you run 2 lights off one ballast?

Does this setup operate basically like a dual filament halogen? 1 bulb, 2 settings?

I'm doing my homework for another type of headlight conversion. I'm going to do the BMW lights like on the trans am conversion. I got a smokin' deal on some headlights but they're the halogen setup from BMW. I want my setup to work a little differently than BMW intended though. Each light has 2 bulbs, a high and low and the high is off unless being used. I am going to put dual filaments in both so both are on for low and both can kick on for high. (going for the quad headlight look) Doing this on a halogen setup is easy, but I want to do it with HIDs.

SO... what I need is an HID bulb that can do a high and low setting in a single bulb. which it appears that this kit does, correct?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #30
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
Hey guys I have a dumb question about this HID kit.

Did you have to put a ballast in for each light? or can you run 2 lights off one ballast?

Does this setup operate basically like a dual filament halogen? 1 bulb, 2 settings?

I'm doing my homework for another type of headlight conversion. I'm going to do the BMW lights like on the trans am conversion. I got a smokin' deal on some headlights but they're the halogen setup from BMW. I want my setup to work a little differently than BMW intended though. Each light has 2 bulbs, a high and low and the high is off unless being used. I am going to put dual filaments in both so both are on for low and both can kick on for high. (going for the quad headlight look) Doing this on a halogen setup is easy, but I want to do it with HIDs.

SO... what I need is an HID bulb that can do a high and low setting in a single bulb. which it appears that this kit does, correct?
Yes, each bulb has a ballast. I had to zip tie up two of them.

I don't know what to tell you on your setup but I will say that from my understanding it's not a High/Low beam (one on - one off) type system. It's supposed to be 1 light and when you turn on the High Beam it changes the angle of light reflection not a second light or the light's wattage or anything. The same bulb stays on all the time.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #31
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Aha, I see. I will have to mabye give BF or ACC a call to see if these are designed with the lense focal point specifically in mind. i know on projector lights it's just a single bulb that either changes position or the lense changes size. So I was trying to get my head around HOW this single HID bulb changes brightness in a halogen lense.

I am going to get my conversion finished up on Halogen bulbs though, and then I'll worry about how to convert them to HID's.

.... the projects never end haha

Last edited by wylde1; 06-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.
wylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #32
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
if i were you i would disconnect it from the battery and put it to the fuse..
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Just thought I would post this thread for those looking at doing the HID install and want some 6000k fog lights as well. I don't have these on my car yet but they sure look like they match much better than the ones I have.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post2014095
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
NICKEY BLACKJACK 21

Drives: 2010 #21 NICKEY CAMARO
Nice job on spelling it out. Thank you