Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #113
on3wego

Drives: 2014 zl1 triple black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks ZL1 View Post
How do you feel about the heartbeat? Does anyone k ow how much rwhp the heartbeat makes over the stock 1.9... both having the same bolt ons.
I like it alot. Makes great power and no heat issues..but looking for bigger power like tt kit. So may be getting rid of mine soon.. or just upping boost.. I'm only at 16# now.. numbers in sig..
Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #114
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks ZL1 View Post
How do you feel about the heartbeat? Does anyone k ow how much rwhp the heartbeat makes over the stock 1.9... both having the same bolt ons.
The 1.9 is a mighty little blower. The cost to upgrade for a few horsepower is questionable.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #115
Botally Tone

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
The 1.9 is a mighty little blower. The cost to upgrade for a few horsepower is questionable.

I would think the upgrade makes more sense from a cooling standpoint than a horsepower one. The heartbeat should have superior cooling due to the dual intercooler design. This coupled with a bigger supercharger that you can spin slightly slower to get the same amount of air as the 1.9 should yield a more stable engine system at higher HP. At least that's what I would think I know Jess has mentioned that even though this may be the case the actual power gain may be minimal due to the extra power it takes to spin the bigger supercharger. Jess actually has this blower so he can give a much better prediction than I can. (And I know you know this Trackman I'm just stating it for those who are asking about the Heartbeat)
Botally Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #116
Trackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botally Tone View Post
I would think the upgrade makes more sense from a cooling standpoint than a horsepower one. The heartbeat should have superior cooling due to the dual intercooler design. This coupled with a bigger supercharger that you can spin slightly slower to get the same amount of air as the 1.9 should yield a more stable engine system at higher HP. At least that's what I would think I know Jess has mentioned that even though this may be the case the actual power gain may be minimal due to the extra power it takes to spin the bigger supercharger. Jess actually has this blower so he can give a much better prediction than I can. (And I know you know this Trackman I'm just stating it for those who are asking about the Heartbeat)
I've had the Heartbeat since May and I haven't seen noticeable differences in cooling. I'm not saying there isn't any, it's just not as dramatic as I anticipated.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #117
Trackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3wego View Post
Anybody else have 1000 rwhp combo that will chime in?
I don't have a 1000hp but if your roll racin I think turbos are the logical choice for your goals. Good luck finding your block and parts quickly.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #118
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
I've had the Heartbeat since May and I haven't seen noticeable differences in cooling. I'm not saying there isn't any, it's just not as dramatic as I anticipated.
What kind of power did you pick up?
Before and after pulleys and boost?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #119
on3wego

Quote:
I don't have a 1000hp but if your roll racin I think turbos are the logical choice for your goals. Good luck finding your block and parts quickly.
Not worried about getting the parts quick. . Worried about getting the right parts for my setup
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #120
Botally Tone

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:

Oops sorry I didn't know you had it. If you had to make the choice again would you still get the Heartbeat?
Botally Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #121
Trackman

Quote:
Not worried about getting the parts quick. . Worried about getting the right parts for my setup
Your worrying over nothing if you have Andy hired.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #122
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
I often wonder why people always insist on wanting to pick there own parts and pieces. Have trust in the people building ones car. Im pretty sure the hundreds and hundreds of builds shop have done way out ways ones ability to do this on there own.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #123
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Whatever you do decide to get, share some picks and vids, sounds like its going to be one really nice build.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #124
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokum View Post
I often wonder why people always insist on wanting to pick there own parts and pieces. Have trust in the people building ones car. Im pretty sure the hundreds and hundreds of builds shop have done way out ways ones ability to do this on there own.
Nothing wrong with doing your own thing. I did my LS3 my way. I used 6.2" rods and forged pistons with a thicker ring pack than most run. I left the cam selection to the pros though. Ed Curtis spec'd my Lunati cam.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #125
on3wego

It's money. Labor is just so expensive. I can buy the parts and such and andy is by far EXCELLENT at what he does and knowledge and skills. Just. Any shop is expensive. I know nothing is free. Gotta pay to play Yada yada. . But being without my car for long time is out of the question. I can be without the car maybe 2-3 months. No longer. So I'm talking with andy to discuss the best build for me..
Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #126
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
It's money. Labor is just so expensive. I can buy the parts and such and andy is by far EXCELLENT at what he does and knowledge and skills. Just. Any shop is expensive. I know nothing is free. Gotta pay to play Yada yada. . But being without my car for long time is out of the question. I can be without the car maybe 2-3 months. No longer. So I'm talking with andy to discuss the best build for me..
I missed the texas mile last fall because I was waiting for months and months on an engine block. If you have the cash to cover it, you really need to have him build the new engine on a stand before you bring your car to his shop. That way you have something to drive while everything comes together.

I don't know if you realize this but Andy can get a lot of parts for less money than you can. I have a lot of receipts from him and you will never pay more than a catalog price for parts he puts on your car. I don't think you are saving any money by parts shopping yourself. All you are doing is paying some other company to be the parts middle man. I'm so happy with the work Andy does for me I would much rather see him get a cut on parts than Summit racing or Jegs or whoever. None of those companies have done anything for me but Andy has been right there pushing my car to the starting line at the mile and watching the data logs...... just my point of view. If he worked on your car I can promise you that he took extra time to go over everything to make absolutely certain it was right.

Talk to him about what block to get, maybe a 6 bolt LSX 427, RHS, ERL... put up the dough for the shortblock at least and when it is assembled the downtime will be minimal. I'm pretty sure Andy can get you a better price on the LSX stuff, probably not the other options.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote