Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
edcamaro29

Drives: 2010 LT V6
Cold air intake/ Check Engine light. Need Help!

I bought a K&N cold air intake filter and had it installed at the dealer, the next day my check engine light came on. I went back to the dealer to have it fixed, they replaced the sensor with that from another car. They said it was fixed and i thought so too seeing as how the check engine light went away.

However two days later the CEL came back on again. I unhooked the battery for 5 minutes and put it back. The light went away, but again two days later it returned.

I asked the people at morranoracing.com where i bought the filter they said to drive ~100 miles and it would go away, I tried that too but it didn't work.

Have anyone else had this problem?

(I also have an SLP exhaust installed, I don't know if that helps but its the only other modification)
edcamaro29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Time for a tune.... or a different CAI.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
You got the whole intake or the filter? It's not clear to me. Check all the brackets and fittings to make sure you don't have a leak. Usually, from my experience, the light is due to an improper install of the intake.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
stop at your local autozone and ask them to read your code... Let us know what the code is.... Or you could have Onstar run a diagnostic and have them tell you what the code is..

Does the car seem to be running ok? It is possibly to put it together so the MAF sensor ends up backwards.. HOWEVER in that case the car hardly runs... or might not even start...

Not completely familiar with the K&N filter.. is there a metal bar the runs the length of the filter?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
edcamaro29

I got the whole intake and filter. I checked to see if all the fittings are all right and some of them were a little loose, I did tighten them before I ran the 100 miles but it still came back on.

to scrming, forgive me for being a total noob when it comes to cars but I don't know what this code is your talking about. The car runs perfectly fine though.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcamaro29 View Post
I got the whole intake and filter. I checked to see if all the fittings are all right and some of them were a little loose, I did tighten them before I ran the 100 miles but it still came back on.

to scrming, forgive me for being a total noob when it comes to cars but I don't know what this code is your talking about. The car runs perfectly fine though.
When the check engine light comes on, go to autozone and ask the person at the desk to do a check engine light check. he will plug a unit in to your car, and he'll give you a code, its an error code, and can be used to tell you where the problem is. get the code, and tell us here so we can help you out.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
I'm betting the codes are:
P2179 System Too Lean Off Idle
P2177 System Too Lean Off Idle

I saw these on another car with the same CAI I am going to try to fix them with a Tune next week I will let you know how it goes.

The Tune should clear it, Exhaust? Any other Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
stop at your local autozone and ask them to read your code... Let us know what the code is.... Or you could have Onstar run a diagnostic and have them tell you what the code is..

Does the car seem to be running ok? It is possibly to put it together so the MAF sensor ends up backwards.. HOWEVER in that case the car hardly runs... or might not even start...

Not completely familiar with the K&N filter.. is there a metal bar the runs the length of the filter?
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
Switch to CAI inc. and save your warranty.
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
GUNIT
RKFDGEO- chicago5thgen

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM Auto
Send a message via AIM to GUNIT Send a message via Yahoo to GUNIT Send a message via Skype™ to GUNIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcamaro29 View Post
(I also have an SLP exhaust installed, I don't know if that helps but its the only other modification)
Did you do both mods at the same time?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
but wait....a CAI shouldn't need a tune...not the K&N anyways. Could it be throwing the AFR off that much that a CEL comes on? If so...something is wrong, but I don't want to go as far as to say that the K@N could be a poorly designed unit.

I just know I wouldn't spend several hundred dollars on getting a tune for something that should definitly not need it. If over time more K@N owners start giving similar reports then maybe we'll know the cause, but until then....I wish you luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
babarudy

Drives: 2010 2lt rs jewell tint
I am wanting to add a CAI also, but i would like to go with a 4 inch system{maf also} will i need to get a tune?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Airaid CAI here. No codes thrown, ever. K&N should be the same.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
edcamaro29

Nope, those are the only two mods. I had the muffler on for more than a week with no problems. I'll try to get it to an auto zone or get onstar to tell me and then i'll check back here.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Get the codes and come back and I will send them off and get an answer for you.....
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote