Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #43
Dnz06

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW1990 View Post
I'm curious as to what you guys are doing on these races? BONE STOCK (my car had GM Performance Exhaust stock, minimal gain if any) 45mph roll I pulled a 5.0 Coyote with suspension, exhaust, and tune easy. There was no gap closure either.

When I got my LTs, 3" collector-to-muffler, QTP 3" cut-outs, I only pulled them more. You guys are stating 13 second 1/4s? When I made 392/393, exhaust and tune, I ran 12.08 and 1.8 60's. I beat a 5.0 with matching mods, down to both having radials, by .3 on an 1/8th consistently. I'm an M6 and it was an auto.

When I put my BTR Stage 4 cam in, any coyote that wanted to roll race looked at the tail lights several lengths back. LOL. Never got to track the cam but I'd say with BTR Stage 4 cam I'd have logged 11.5x 1/4's

What are your launching/driving techniques? Maybe I can help. I have never lost to a similarly modded mustang. ...
Check PM my brotha!
Dnz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #44
Dnz06

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Coyote motors do run strong for sure and respond extremely well to a tune.

My experience with 5.0s.

12 Boss 302
vs my 1LE (intake and PTB, stock tune): neck and neck, He would shift I'd nose out, he'd shift ID nose out. At 150 it was nose to nose. Dig I would take it off the line and keep a lead.

13 Boss 302 (mods unknown, stock i thnk) vs my 1LE (intake, PTB, stock tune): Boss 302 runs 13.8, I run a 13.4. Guy was sleeping on the light big time. I definitely spanked the driver, not the car having already run a boss 302 prior. Still ran a better time and a W is a W.

13 5.0 manual(catless, exhaust, intake, Bama custom tune) vs my 1LE (intake, shorty headers, high flow cats, PTB, MGW shifter, STOCK TUNE): drivers race really. 40 roll, If that 5.0 got the hit he would pull about half car and stay there til he hit 5th then I would literally walk away, that's about 120-130 though. If I got the hit it would be a tie until the 5.0 gets to 5th gear then I'd walk him. The 5.0 would spin too much on a dig to get a good race.

15 5.0 manual (stock I think) vs my 1LE (intake, PTB, high flow cats, stock tune): 30 roll, I pull about a car and a half ahead, when I shift it would come up about half a car, 3/4 of a car, then the 5.0 would shift and drop right back.
Unfortunately I own an 2010 RS/2SS with only CAI & Exhaust.
Dnz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #45
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnz06 View Post
Unfortunately I own an 2010 RS/2SS with only CAI & Exhaust.
It will be a good race then. Maybe edge to the mustang.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #46
BradySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
LOL driver error anyone? This 5.0 will do 11.5 on intake tune and converter. Nothing more needed.
May seem crazy but I have never had any problems at all with the 5.0s I don't know what it is but it almost seems like people think they are magical. When my car was stock some of the funnest races I had were with stockish 5.0s really close races and the race was always won at the launch. Whoever got out of the whole better would win. Now my car is cammed longtubes no cats no mufflers 15''s in the back 17 ''in the front with drag radials front runners and a tune with cai. I've raced quite a few 5.0s with full bolt ons and it's a complete slaughter. You wouldn't think so though hearing all these dang stories about 10 second full bolt 5.0s.
BradySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #47
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradySS View Post
May seem crazy but I have never had any problems at all with the 5.0s I don't know what it is but it almost seems like people think they are magical. When my car was stock some of the funnest races I had were with stockish 5.0s really close races and the race was always won at the launch. Whoever got out of the whole better would win. Now my car is cammed longtubes no cats no mufflers 15''s in the back 17 ''in the front with drag radials front runners and a tune with cai. I've raced quite a few 5.0s with full bolt ons and it's a complete slaughter. You wouldn't think so though hearing all these dang stories about 10 second full bolt 5.0s.
I can't explain your luck with 5.0s? All I can ask is what is your best timeslip? My current 2015 GT has been 11.9@116 intake, 93tune and drag radials out back. I've since added a converter and E85 tune. I'll post up some mid 11 second slips in the next couple of weeks on that combo. I'm still running completely stock exhaust. I race with a few guys on this forum that are hardcore Camaro guys who can verify my set up. They can also vouch for the fact that I don't lose to bolt on cars.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #48
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
I can't explain your luck with 5.0s? All I can ask is what is your best timeslip? My current 2015 GT has been 11.9@116 intake, 93tune and drag radials out back. I've since added a converter and E85 tune. I'll post up some mid 11 second slips in the next couple of weeks on that combo. I'm still running completely stock exhaust. I race with a few guys on this forum that are hardcore Camaro guys who can verify my set up. They can also vouch for the fact that I don't lose to bolt on cars.
Check the fast slips on the website for the A6 bolt ons. The people with similar mods are running sub 11.3s... With that being said, I have yet to lose to any similarly modded 5.0s and beat bolt on/tune M6 5.0 when I was stock- from a roll.

They win from a dig on M6 cars due to their higher rear gear. Doesn't help from a powerband pull on the LS. Momentum is already built and a 2nd gear 45mph or 3rd 77mph is going to leave you salty everytime mod for mod. LS powerband has more power and torque across the house, the higher rpm shift point on the 5.0s is really nice, but the power fall off negates any benefit really.

Your dig times, dragstrip, is better cause you can get out of the hole and cut good 60s with an auto. That's where you win- off the line on similarly matched setups.

Personally, M6 SS with bolt-ons, 392/393 on 93 pump, TERRIBLE track prep spinning MT E/T Streets across the 60' and still cut 1.78s pretty consistently. I'd say average is 1.81ish. I don't have a launch control either. Leave line at 5-5500. Say it takes me .05-.1 per shift (NO IDEA COMPLETELY GUESSING) that's .2-.4 on a 1/4 because I like to actually like to be involved and not hold on to a wheel like a granny (personal preference only and if you want the fastest E/T, well sadly auto is the way to go- OH WELL). That would be 11.68-11.88 on 3.45s throw the 3.73 gear ratio you have and subtract out the stall converter benefit and well, there's your 11.3. SS > 5.0.

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Drivetrain: ACT T2S-G05 x2 Disc XT Street Kit
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #49
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Check the fast slips on the website for the A6 bolt ons. The people with similar mods are running sub 11.3s... With that being said, I have yet to lose to any similarly modded 5.0s and beat bolt on/tune M6 5.0 when I was stock- from a roll.

They win from a dig on M6 cars due to their higher rear gear. Doesn't help from a powerband pull on the LS. Momentum is already built and a 2nd gear 45mph or 3rd 77mph is going to leave you salty everytime mod for mod. LS powerband has more power and torque across the house, the higher rpm shift point on the 5.0s is really nice, but the power fall off negates any benefit really.

Your dig times, dragstrip, is better cause you can get out of the hole and cut good 60s with an auto. That's where you win- off the line on similarly matched setups.

Personally, M6 SS with bolt-ons, 392/393 on 93 pump, TERRIBLE track prep spinning MT E/T Streets across the 60' and still cut 1.78s pretty consistently. I'd say average is 1.81ish. I don't have a launch control either. Leave line at 5-5500. Say it takes me .05-.1 per shift (NO IDEA COMPLETELY GUESSING) that's .2-.4 on a 1/4 because I like to actually like to be involved and not hold on to a wheel like a granny (personal preference only and if you want the fastest E/T, well sadly auto is the way to go- OH WELL). That would be 11.68-11.88 on 3.45s throw the 3.73 gear ratio you have and subtract out the stall converter benefit and well, there's your 11.3. SS > 5.0.

Curious, but, how does adding mods on a forum deduct from a track time you have yet to achieve? Where are you getting 11.3 from?

For the record, the guy that built my car has gone 11.0's @ 121-123 several times with bolt-ons, weight reduction and good air with an MT-82.

I suppose that in this case, 11.0 5.0 > 11.3 SS, no?

Devil's advocate here since it seems the 5.0 is still considered a slouch by many that only take a few times they've seen online what a 5.0 does and that somehow becomes the gold standard for that car. Same for any person that looks at things like this blindly.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #50
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Quote:

The only problem with the 11.3 SS on the bolt on list is we have an 11.0 Bolt on GT on our list. I run the fast list over there. I don't roll race anymore and you don't have any time slips to compare to mine so we have nothing to compare to each other. Be careful with the high speed rolls and play safe out there.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #51
JakeW1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
Curious, but, how does adding mods on a forum deduct from a track time you have yet to achieve? Where are you getting 11.3 from?
Pretty basic actually, thought I laid that out easy enough...
  1. Times I haven't achieved have been achieved by the other top 25 on the fast list. Pretty much every A6 SS with the similar mods pull 11.3s on pump gas, NOT E-85. I would love to throw some more timing at those cars...
  2. It was a manual conversion to auto time slip based off the final drive ratio and not having to manually switch gears, which I CLEARLY said was a guess because I've never timed shift from 1-2 + 2-3 + 3-4. (+ means plus, or add the following to, basic sign for addition - just trying to make sure it's clear is all...) No way was I implying that I have ran an 11.3 on the listed setup given that I am an LS3 M6. It's not possible on stock gears, full weighted car @ 3900lbs.
  3. You then throw in the benefit of a stall converter and achieving maximizing powerband as early as possible.
  4. Combine the beneficial time savings from the auto to M6 and viola, accurately calculated time slip differences on identical builds, variable being transmission, and of course human nature.
Quote:
For the record, the guy that built my car has gone 11.0's @ 121-123 several times with bolt-ons, weight reduction and good air with an MT-82. I suppose that in this case, 11.0 5.0 > 11.3 SS, no?
  1. No idea what an MT-82 is. MT stands for manual trans, I assume.
  2. The subject cars were all full weight, not weight reduced. Increasing the power to weight ratios completely changes everything. The SS already gives up 250lbs. 100lbs is .1-.13 on the 1/4 on these cars. On your weight reduction alone, that makes the 11.283 run a 11.033-10.958, which is achievable. (search on the forums- some guy saved 300lbs or so) So, the point is that mod for mod the SS > 5.0, especially from 2nd-6th. First gear, 5.0 wins about all day long.
  3. That's a pretty strange time... I ran 12.08 @ 119. So 2mph is over a second faster? Not for sure I'm going to be gulled into that.

Quote:
    Devil's advocate here since it seems the 5.0 is still considered a slouch by many that only take a few times they've seen online what a 5.0 does and that somehow becomes the gold standard for that car. Same for any person that looks at things like this blindly.
Well, I've been in my fair share of cars, and have friends that drive them. I look at all cars with open eyes considering I came from pump gas full weighted 11.00 four cyclinders.... I never said anything about a standard except the fact that I have never lost to a similarly modded 5.0. If that's a standard, well... I hate it for you. I don't care to go look up 5.0 times cause I'm building my car for me, not specifically to be faster than a production car that has 5 years more advanced technology and way lighter. My feelings will never be hurt if a 5.0 beats me at a track. Hell, I'd talk to the guy to see what he's running, see what I can do to close the gap, give him a fist bump and tell him not to sleep on the lights next time.
It's just a fun hobby to me that I do to stay busy. There's always some one faster. Lol. I like those cars and could even be an owner one day. They're quick cars.

Engine: BTR Stage 4 Cam; BTR Dual Spring Kit; C7R Chain; LS2 Tensioner; High Volume Oil Pump
Exhaust: Kook's 1 7/8" Headers w/ Off-road pipes;Kook's 3" cat-back; QTP 3" cut-outs
Suspension: BMR 1.4" Front & 1.5" Rear Springs; Blackdog Solid Mounts w/ Poly Bushings
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #52
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
MT82 is the Getrag MT82, the 6 speed manual that has been in the Mustang since 2011.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #53
JakeW1990

Quote:
The only problem with the 11.3 SS on the bolt on list is we have an 11.0 Bolt on GT on our list. I run the fast list over there. I don't roll race anymore and you don't have any time slips to compare to mine so we have nothing to compare to each other. Be careful with the high speed rolls and play safe out there.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=652

Please forgive my signature @ 119. That was my fastest trap, not fastest time. I'll go change that to replicate accuracy.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #54
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

12.08 is a good timeslip.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #55
BradySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I wouldn't call it my "luck" with 5.0s like I said before it was a pretty even match for me when both cars are stock or lightly moded with the mods I have now I haven't lost to my co workers bolt on 5.0s and it's not even really that close. You can look in youtube for Brady Skeen and find my channel which has videos of mods, dyno graph, current th400 swap and all the BMR 15" drag conversion parts. Don't have any time slips last year and the tracks closed now. My coworkers and I run all the time after work and I have no reason to pull your chain about it. My car is pretty set up now and there really isn't much reason to doubt I wouldn't be telling the truth.
BradySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #56
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Yea there is a big difference between playing on some back road and real racing at the strip. where everything is actually broken down right on the time slip. Here is my best slip from last year. I'm 7833. I don't know who your racing on the back roads. But anyone that's knows what their doing will beat you at the strip in a 5.0. Lightly modded or stock. It's a simple matter of being lighter and in my case having more HP. It's the same reason the 6 gen Camaros are faster now than a Mustang.
Attached Images