Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Running w/o engine cover:photo

For now I'm running without the engine cover. Is anyone else?

I think I like the look of the intake manifold without all that plastic and sound insulation covering it. From what I can tell the cover is cosmetic with a little sound insulation under it. Otherwise I'm not sure it provides any benefit.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
To each their own... I like the cover.. But, it is your car and I don't remember seeing anywhere where people have stated that it'll cause issues. Well, other than more DI noises w/o the insulation pad.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Agreed with HumanWiki. Plus the cover isn't there to only look "pretty". It is there to keep off dust, dirty, water etc off the crucial parts of an engine thus taking it off is essentially is inviting for issues to happen. Not saying it will but taking the cover off will allow issues more so than with covers.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The cover is a thermal blanket. It does not help performance.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
The cover is a thermal blanket. It does not help performance.
This.

Heard of Heat Soak? First thing I did on my 5th gen and 1st thing im doing when I get my 6th

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Agreed with HumanWiki. Plus the cover isn't there to only look "pretty". It is there to keep off dust, dirty, water etc off the crucial parts of an engine thus taking it off is essentially is inviting for issues to happen. Not saying it will but taking the cover off will allow issues more so than with covers.
It's a cap. Not a hermetically-sealed bag. It'll actually TRAP dirt, water, etc. on top of your engine. Not that this is a big problem, as everything under it is water/air-tight.

Engine covers are there for 2, and only 2, purposes: aesthetics, noise abatement.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post

I think I like the look of the intake manifold without all that plastic and sound insulation covering it. From what I can tell the cover is cosmetic with a little sound insulation under it. Otherwise I'm not sure it provides any benefit.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Not sure I like that intake manifold. It's clean looking without all the fuel lines running over it but I think aesthetically I like the LS3 intake better. Anyway run it with the cover off. It's just a heat trap.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
Add an MSD intake and some Katech valve covers with coil relocation brackets.
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post

Thoughts? Opinions?
The only thing I don't like is that the fuel line is no longer supported in the middle.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The only thing I don't like is that the fuel line is no longer supported in the middle.
It is harmless to leave it floating. I'm going to be doing an E85 conversion on my car and running a new cross over line that crosses over behind the manifold so it doesn't stand out. If there is interest I'll put together the parts list to replicate (even if you don't have the E85 sensor inline).

I'm also going to have DSteck do a harness for me that gets power for the E85 module from the rear coil pack on the passenger side. It should be a clean plug and play setup.

Tim
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, and LS7 didn't have covers over the IM. None had issues. But they all had some style. This IM just looks awful. I see why they covered it. Can the plastic covers over the valve covers come off too? Maybe the silver contrast to the black IM and visible coil packs would improve appearance some

Last edited by jimmypop13; 03-31-2016 at 11:15 PM.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
It just holds heat. I take engine covers off all my vehicles.

Plus they look cheesy and fake IMO. Give me a painted intake and some other touch ups as others have suggested. Looks way better and won't hold heat.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
The stock intake is pretty ugly...and the intake is plastic, so heatsoak is not going to really be an issue fellas...

If the intake was better looking, or if it had a MSD I wouldn't run a cover.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Engine covers are there for 2, and only 2, purposes: aesthetics, noise abatement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
It's just a heat trap.
I agree especially with a direct injected engine. Direct injected engines have no fuel sprayed in the intake to help cool the air charge as it flows into the cylinder, Cooler air is denser so the oxygen is a little more concentrated - thus a little more powerful when that sparkplug ignites it. The simpler way of saying all that is in general you want to avoid heat soak. After I pulled the cover and the acoustic skull cap (that's what GM calls the sound insolation under the center silver plastic part) and took it for a 30 minute drive I could lay my hand flat on top of the manifold and felt very little heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
It is harmless to leave it floating.
Tim
The fuel line is attached to the engine on both ends. On the back end it comes out of the high pressure fuel pump that sits at the back of the engine behind the intake manifold and then on the other end it connects to the fuel rail for the injectors. So which ever way the engine is rocking or moving the fuel line goes with it. I might snug it up a little to the wire bundle with a plastic wire tie on the passenger side as a "piece of mind" thing since the fuel line is very close to that wire bundle anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
Can the plastic covers over the valve covers come off too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Plus they look cheesy and fake IMO. Give me a painted intake and some other touch ups as others have suggested. Looks way better and won't hold heat.
Yes, those covers over the coil packs can come off too. I just haven't gotten to that yet. Maybe the coil packs will look better than on my old LS3 and I'll leave those covers off too. Or maybe I'll paint them blue to match the car and get some color under there. There's a lot of black on this engine.

As to extra injector and throttle body noise ( the reason GM says they use the acoustic skull cap) I haven't heard anything different from the driver's seat with that cap off of there.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote