Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
Alpine dashkit recall

So UPS drops me off a bunch of Alpine Camaro kits this morning. Which slightly surprised me, as I hadn't ordered any that I hadn't already gotten.

Hmmm....wonder....open up one of the master packs and see a letter that they have identified a manufacturing flaw that will "impact the performance of virtually every Camaro Perfect Fit solution."
So they shipped me out a "fully tested and verified" replacement for all the ones I'd previously gotten. Minor bummer that there are issues, but I'm actually very happy that they are taking care of it without me having to call and gripe.

I would suggest that all of you who have one get with the people who sold it to you and arrange getting it swapped out, just to cover your bases.

I would also suspect that Scosche is doing something similar with their variant, as whatever issue the one had, the other will probably also have.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
That's funny, I just got a call from my installer on the same thing. They are going to replace mine with a new one. Mine is working great with no issues. I asked what the problem was and he stated there is a "bug" in the electronics in it. So I said, ok I will let them replace it with a newer one.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
heard the same from my installer; thanks for the email Zach and being on top of it; really appreciate the support and quality customer service even after i bought a product from you!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
havent heard a peep from folks with scosche kits yet.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Are they paying the cost of reinstall? Does anyone know if the new 8" unit coming out will fit in the current kit or will it get a different kit? Or when they are releasing the INE Z928HD?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I want to know what's different. My dealer hasn't heard anything but mine came late January so I may be safe.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
gill7784

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Could be why Scosche is so willing to send out replacement modules. Mine died on me, and 5 seconds after saying "it stopped working", they asked for my address to send a new one.... Hmmm, makes you wonder.

The only good Mustang is one who was prior enlisted.
gill7784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
RSKUSTOMZ
RSKUSTOMZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro T-top RS
Mine was DOA and called Alpine directly since we are a dealer and they've informed me of the same thing. They are advanced shipping all dealers that had ordered them previously and to swap them out for the new "rectified" kits.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Are they paying the cost of reinstall? Does anyone know if the new 8" unit coming out will fit in the current kit or will it get a different kit? Or when they are releasing the INE Z928HD?

They aren't, unfortunately. Car audio shops often get stuck with labor in cases like that (warranties actually DON'T cover install labor, just repair labor; but many shops still don't like to pass that expense on to the client)

The 'Z928 will not, IIRC, fit the kit, as the additional size of the screen shows up at the bottom, where the kit protrudes out the most. Other than flat dashes, where the radio can overhang, that one is going to be a custom fit for the most part. They're theoretically working on kits for 10 platforms, but the Camaro isn't one. Keep in mind I'm not an install tech, but from what I remember of the radio it would be easier to modify the Scosche variant (or a Metra) to accomodate the 'Z928.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
havent heard a peep from folks with scosche kits yet.
you havent been reading this forum at all then. Nearly everyday theres a thread about scosche problems, screens, fitment, everything.

However the metras are running fine.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Hmmm....I guess I'll hold off on my purchase for a year to let these bugs get worked out first.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Sevith

Drives: 2LT Soon!
Scott from creativecaraudio.com where I ordered my kit called, said the recall was in regards to the kit being to "tight" and causing the motorized faceplate of head units fail and no longer operate.

Doesn't seem tight to me and and face plate moves pretty freely.
3400 - 11/11
3800 - 11/17 - 2G1FG1EV7A9167472
Sevith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
My installer said it was no cost for me, just my time to leave it there for them to re-install it.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Lear how to read dude. i was asking about a recall for the scoshe.. this is for the alpine kit that has a different groove for the screen fitment. What i was asking was if people that bought the Scosche kit receive any calls about recalls yet.

For everyone with the sosche kit, talked to Scosche today and they indeed confirmed they are not part of this recall due to the fitment. The issues they have are due to the touch screen (some type of power issue) and the SWC for some modesl that they will soon be releasing the firmware update.

Ohh and by the way austinjames since you want to be a smartass by questinioning if i have read this trail at all.... I already told you before that i have no issues with Scosche kit. I believe i also mentioned i would never put something so ugly like the metra on my baby. Hope your intentions were not to be trolling. If not, i am sorry for our misunderstanding. If you are trolling, then troll away you troll troll troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
you havent been reading this forum at all then. Nearly everyday theres a thread about scosche problems, screens, fitment, everything.

However the metras are running fine.