Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 04-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Question about Texas emissions

Ok so this was brought up in the V6 section, how many "Not Ready" readings can we get in Texas? I know in some states it's just one and some it's more. Some people are running into an issue with their tune and they are getting two "Not ready" readings, so I'm trying to get this sorted before I have to get my emissions checked.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 06 Jetta TDI 17 Civic EXL
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
I had to encounter this recently. I disconnected my battery to fix some wiring issues with my stereo. When I was done, I realized that the month was almost over and I had better get it inspected. So I drove over to my local inspection place. Unfortunately I had not given the car enough mileage to reset and had too many "Not ready" codes.

I had three. The inspector said "We can let it go with 1 "not ready" normally, but 3 is too many. Give it about 100 miles and come back and you should be good".

So, I believe anymore than 1 and you're hosed.

-G
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I think I remember it being only one also. That is why I always leave my rear O2s plugged in even if they are just zip tied to something.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Not sure if this is current, but:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
There are three (3) continuous monitors that are always Ready: Misfire, Fuel System, and Comprehensive Components. If you look at your Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), you will see the emissions monitors listed and their Ready/Not Ready status. If any of the non-continuous monitors say N/A (Not Available) or N/S (Not Supported), then there is no monitor for that system.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
We are really still waiting on a true tune.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I was thinking only one but don't bank on that one...

Also... in the 1st 2 years of a new car all you need is a safety check... Emissions do not have to be part of the inspection. Check with the inspector first to make sure they know that and you're good to go until 2012

Edit: Looks like it was changed in 2008 to only ONE..
Attached Images

Last edited by mlee; 05-01-2011 at 06:10 PM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

:(
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Drigar
SYSADM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS,CGM,A6
OK, are "not ready" codes some sort of Check Engine light or something? I'm in SA and I've never heard of this requirement for inspections.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drigar View Post
OK, are "not ready" codes some sort of Check Engine light or something? I'm in SA and I've never heard of this requirement for inspections.
Drigar,

The "Not Ready" codes are something that are only visible when reading the cars OBD, or computer, they don't necessarily show a "Check Engine" light when they go off. The way that they normally get set to "Not Ready" is anytime the OBD is reset. This usually happens when the car is maintenanced and the battery is disconnected. Each car has a range of mileage that the car must be driven for the OBD to go through its normal sequencing where it runs all of its self diagnostic tests. Each one of these tests have a different mileage requirement, however somewhere between 80-110 miles is where I've had luck getting all of my codes to reset. Now, I currently drive a Nissan Maxima so your mileage may vary (literally! lol) with the Camaros.
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drigar View Post
A lot of us w/ Long Tube headers have the rear O2 codes turned off so that we don't get a Check Engine light for the Cats not heating up fast enough. This is considered "not ready".
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 06 Jetta TDI 17 Civic EXL
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
We are really still waiting on a true tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
A lot of us w/ Long Tube headers have the rear O2 codes turned off so that we don't get a Check Engine light for the Cats not heating up fast enough. This is considered "not ready".
So will the tuners be able to one day calibrate the ECM correctly so that the rear sensors will work properly with the LT headers?

Maybe a more sensitive sensor?
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Drigar,

The "Not Ready" codes are something that are only visible when reading the cars OBD, or computer, they don't necessarily show a "Check Engine" light when they go off. The way that they normally get set to "Not Ready" is anytime the OBD is reset. This usually happens when the car is maintenanced and the battery is disconnected. Each car has a range of mileage that the car must be driven for the OBD to go through its normal sequencing where it runs all of its self diagnostic tests. Each one of these tests have a different mileage requirement, however somewhere between 80-110 miles is where I've had luck getting all of my codes to reset. Now, I currently drive a Nissan Maxima so your mileage may vary (literally! lol) with the Camaros.

The other way you can get a not ready code is if you have a CEL (from an actual failed test), and reset it with your scanner. The test that failed will show "Not Ready" until a normal driving cycle is completed. This prevents someone with a CEL from resetting it right before an inspection (i.e. masking the problem to pass).

So if you reset anything with your scanner, don't bother trying to get an inspection for the next 100 miles or so...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
Drigar
SYSADM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS,CGM,A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Drigar,

Good to know, thanks.

Mlee, I'm not sure if my tuner turned off the rear O2s or not. I have an Innova II OBD scanner, can I hook that up and see the not ready codes that would be seen in the sensors were disabled?