Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: Shifting into 2nd gear on your V6 M6?
Periodic / Regular Grind 194 45.97%
Periodic / Regular Bind 89 21.09%
No Issue 139 32.94%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1499
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Its just slack in the drive-line, no problem there. Mine and everyone else does the same.
If there is enough play in the Driveline to make as much noise as my car there are problems. When I do the same thing and push my clutch in my car sounds like a wind up toy. You can hear a spring type noise coming from the bellhousing.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #1500
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
If there is enough play in the Driveline to make as much noise as my car there are problems. When I do the same thing and push my clutch in my car sounds like a wind up toy. You can hear a spring type noise coming from the bellhousing.
I agree with you ... Getting GM to take a look at it is another problem...
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #1501
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Nah man lol you gotta remember its a 20,000 dollar Chevy. Clunky transmissions come with the territory. Its the price you pay for not buying a higher quality car, or rather, the price you didnt pay.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #1502
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Not sher what the hell you got but my car car was 31000. And change. Not that this should have anything to do with my trany.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #1503
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal77 View Post
Chevrole+ I just had my 2012 into the dealer for what sounds like a similar noise. When I am in 1st gear, drive a few feet and depress the clutch, it sounds like a clunck coming from either the trans or rear. Dealer heard the noise and checked everything out. They made some calls and determined it was a combination of the engine torque in 1st gear and some backlash in the transmission. Told me to put some more miles on it, it has 400mi, and see if it gets worse. I hear/feel it only when in 1st gear, like in a parking lot, and not all the time. It shifts fine and everything else is good. I don't know if this is normal or not?
Thanks for letting me know. Saves me a trip to the dealer anyways. I'm at 13k right now (which i think is good for 2010) lol. Anyways, I only hear/feel it when I'm in a parking lot and mine hasn't gotten any worse. Its good to hear mine isn't the only one.
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #1504
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrole+ View Post
Thanks for letting me know. Saves me a trip to the dealer anyways. I'm at 13k right now (which i think is good for 2010) lol. Anyways, I only hear/feel it when I'm in a parking lot and mine hasn't gotten any worse. Its good to hear mine isn't the only one.

I had the same noise.. Drove me crazy but it kinda went away as I put more miles on the car. I am at 24k miles now and I don't hear it anymore.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #1505
CammieChix

Drives: 2011 1LT 6-SP MANUAL
I said I wasn't going to post anymore tonight because I was getting to the weeping crying stage lol. Then I see everyone else with the same issue and I feel a little better. Anyway, wanted to vote in the poll and make sure I was added to the list.

FYI If you get anywhere near 30 days of your car being down, please go ahead and review your state's consumer protection laws online at their site (as in a .gov) not any of the million lemon law site postings. Your initial filing or complaint is supposed to trigger reports on the vehicle. This is supposed to be true whether you go through with the all process or not. So even if NHTSA does nothing, the tallies on this car's transmission issues should be running state to state. Thought I'd say that.

Anyway, good luck and Happy New Year.
CammieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #1506
CammieChix

Drives: 2011 1LT 6-SP MANUAL
Oh and p.s. I'm not referring to BBB. I am speaking of the individual state's consumer protection or consumer affairs or lemon law division. No doubt you have already paid into this program with your state tag/title/tax fees. That's how it works. Consider it money well spent.
CammieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #1507
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Wow, this thread has 1,505 posts and 55k views. Definitely need to get the original post updated this weekend with the info posted! Have not followed it much since I traded mine in. I cleared out my inbox if anyone wants to submit info. Otherwise ill dig through the hundreds of posts for now.

Good luck with the cars/repairs and have a Happy New Year C5!
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #1508
jmiele

Drives: RIP
Amsoil Severe Gear makes a huge difference. On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me what the part is for the bolt just under the transmission fluid fill hole?
jmiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #1509
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrole+ View Post
It makes that noise in all gears. I mounted a gopro and it makes the noise in all gears. You just can't hear it over wind/tire noise.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #1510
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
I have a 2011 2LT RS M6 and I have been having a very heart wrenching sound/grind when down shifting into 2nd(not all the time). I now have 20,700 something miles and the grind has gotten more and more common.

So I called my Tech (friend from school who works at my dealer) and brought it in to just have him look at the trany fluid. He gave me a free flush and refill! (love having friends in good places) Not only did he say that the old oil that came out looked, and I quote "like poopy" Black as night, but he said that it looked (he did not measure) about a half quart low.
That was this morning, and I have done about 100-120 something miles sense having that done. I did not have my grind return. Not saying its solved, but much better. all the other shifts are good.

Sometimes it does not want to go into 1st, at a stop light, until I start to lift off the clutch. thats when the syncro seems to let it in. I don't know if that is relevant to this issue at all, but I thought I would post it up anyways.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #1511
Chevrole+

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackTT600 View Post
I have a 2011 2LT RS M6 and I have been having a very heart wrenching sound/grind when down shifting into 2nd(not all the time). I now have 20,700 something miles and the grind has gotten more and more common.

So I called my Tech (friend from school who works at my dealer) and brought it in to just have him look at the trany fluid. He gave me a free flush and refill! (love having friends in good places) Not only did he say that the old oil that came out looked, and I quote "like poopy" Black as night, but he said that it looked (he did not measure) about a half quart low.
That was this morning, and I have done about 100-120 something miles sense having that done. I did not have my grind return. Not saying its solved, but much better. all the other shifts are good.

Sometimes it does not want to go into 1st, at a stop light, until I start to lift off the clutch. thats when the syncro seems to let it in. I don't know if that is relevant to this issue at all, but I thought I would post it up anyways.
That's normal, but u can also put it in neutral, then letting all the way out on the clutch and try to engage it after....it should work
Chevrole+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #1512
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Why is it when people have problems with their AY6 transmission someone tries to say its normal?
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ay6, bind, grind, repair, swap