Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
You're looking at roughly $1,500 to clearbra these areas
1. bumper
2. half hood plus top of front fenders
3. area behind front fenders
4. rocker panels
5. mirrors
6. area in front of rear renders

If you touch up the rock chips, you'll need to wait at least 1 month for the paint to dry before applying clear bra.

Rock chips will happen. Just have to live with it if you want to drive the car...
If you have to wait a month, it sounds like a winter project . . .
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Yes, clear bra the car!!

I had Concours Detailing here in Virginia do it. The used the 3M product and took them all day. They charged me 650 dollars. Top notch job!

It's one of those never see, but know its there, safety features to protect the paint on your car.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
hey guys, has anyone gotten clear bras?

If so where (on the car) did you get the film and how much (approximate) did it run you?

I found my first rock chips today, all on the front bumper, one down do the plastic ( ) and I've decided that if I'm gonna spend the money to get it fixed, I'm going to get it clear bra'd immediately afterwards.

I got the 3M Venture Shield from these people http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...o&submodel=zl1. Price was $312.00 shipped. Then I had a local company apply for $140.00. So $452 for all. Also had the windows tinted at the same time $80.00 for the 4 side windows. The bra covers the front bumper, approx first 12" of hood and fenders, mirrors, door edges, DRLs and headlights. They did a great job.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #18
wyoming zl1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1372
Quote:
1. bumper
4. rocker panels
5. mirrors

If you touch up the rock chips, you'll need to wait at least 1 month for the paint to dry before applying clear bra.

Rock chips will happen. Just have to live with it if you want to drive the car...
Yep rock chips suck and i agree, if you drive em they are going to get chipped. I was quoted $750.00 for all the stuff you listed by a 3M dealer here. The only thing holding me back is he tells me he has not had very good luck with Camaro front bumpers. He wont say it will be flawless.
wyoming zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
ampegsvt

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray Metallic
I have used the XPEL product on my zl1 and my Porsche and love it. If you have an experienced installer installing the product they can mold it to anything and make it look great. Of course with experience comes a higher price tag, but well worth it My ZL1 was 1300.00 for entire nose, 24" up the hood, mirrors headlights and rear rockers. Well worth the investment for anyone who is meticulous about their car..
ampegsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #20

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
Quote:
1. bumper
4. rocker panels
5. mirrors

Do ZL1s have splash guards to protect the area behind the rear tires? If not, then I would do that area too.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
I had the dealership do mine. Was about $800CAD. I was getting chips as well so had them all fixed up and then installed it. The only issue I have had with the bra so far is bug guts seem to stain the bra even after washed off. They leave a yellow tinge to the film afterwards in spots. Not too concerned about it because if they don't come out eventually, the bra has a warranty and gets replaced.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Do ZL1s have splash guards to protect the area behind the rear tires? If not, then I would do that area too.
The 3M Product on my car has splash guards behind the front and read. But small ones. The installer was very excited about some new clear guard for the fenders, but I mean how much is too much? Soon the whole car will be wrapped in plastic?
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
ZL1's do have a slim 'mini' mud guard as part of the GXF behind the rear wheels.

I'm not aware of any GM mud guards (or as GM refers to them as quarter-flares) for the ZL1 like they had for my 2011 Vert.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #24
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
Quote:
1. bumper
4. rocker panels
5. mirrors

I had the
1. Bumper
2. Half hood plus top of front fenders
3. Mirrors
4. Area in front of rear fenders.

$650 I paid the dealer, they installed it in my garage at my convenience. Would have been less if I called them direct, but it may have taken longer to schedule them.
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
SButler
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2LT/RS CGM
I've had the Avery Nano Fusion clear bra installed on my car for 2 years now and it has held up very well. Installation was done in California for $800, the shop had recently moved to this product and loved how much easier it was to install.
It was installed on the entire front bumper, headlights, behind the front wheels, the rocker panels, gills, and the rear fender. I haven't found rock chips in any area that doesn't have the clear bra. Check out the website to get a better idea on the Nano Fusion. http://www.nano-fusion.net/
SButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
Dr. Nat

Drives: 2010 rs, 2012 zl1
bra

Have a clear bra on mine. Not recomended on the plastic nose because it wrinkles. It is on the alum and metal 18 inches up and works fine. You will still get chips on the plastic. Have 10000 miles one the car with interstate driving and mountain driving, 1000 miles a week. Put the clear bra on the mirrors and door handles also behind the doors on the rear quarter panel. Works great and worth the extra money.
Dr. Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #27
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I got a verture shield as soon as I got it, I didnt even drive it for 2 days until I got the clear bra on.

It ran me $650 for the front end, but I am friends with the guy who owns the shop. Regular price is $800.

You can go with the crappier brands and probably get it cheaper like, 3M and such, but it will probably yellow out over a few years.

Not everyone can do a clear bra, and not even who claims they can do it, do it right. A lot of this places who install custom ones, sometimes cut through to the paint. You won't notice unless someday you have to take it off for one reason or another. But you would be shocked to see, how many times the lines of the bra are cut all the way into the paint.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #28
StormWarning

Drives: camaro
My wife and I didn’t even know what a “clear bra” was until we bought our ZL1! We live in Huntington Beach CA and bought our 2012 #797 in Missouri. We briefly considered flying out and driving back, but we figured 1,650 miles on the Interstates without protection would ruin the paint before we even got home.

We tried to do our homework regarding the different brands of coverings and the local installers here in Orange County CA. We visited a few and settled on Elite Clear Bra, an Xpel Installer located in HB (714-580-2576). They have been doing clear bras for 11 years.

Here is the Xpel coverage we received:

Full hood including the carbon fiber insert

Full front fenders

Mirrors

A-Pillars and front 1/3 roof

Upper bumper

Lower bumper

Rear bumper luggage area

Rocker panels

Full doors

Headlights

All of the above cost us $2,295.00 (updated) and the work was completed overnight. We couldn’t be more pleased! Plus, we just returned from a 1,250 mile round trip through the elements to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the paint protection held up perfectly!

Yep, it’s a bunch of money, but we just figured it was a worthwhile investment to protect our car and keep her looking as nice as possible! And we had the Xpel applied with only 16 miles on the car so the paint was mint. So far so good!
Attached Images

Last edited by StormWarning; 09-07-2012 at 03:16 PM.
StormWarning is offline   Reply With Quote