Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Battery Maintenance

I wanted to pass this on to fellow owners. I searched here on the website for battery service and found nada. After searching, I found our battery in the trunk is a conventional wet cell low maintenance type. Members report battery service life anywhere from 1.5 years to 4.

So yesterday I decided to pick up some distilled water and take a look at my battery. I own a 2012 V6 auto with about 22,500 miles on odo. Very simple to access battery below trunk. Wear eye protection...clear eyeglasses! Carefully remove the cell caps and the battery fluid levels were a bit low but not too bad. So I carefully topped each cell (6) off with the distilled water. Using a small measuring cup will aid adding fluid without spilling it all over the place. Do not add too much otherwise battery will vent excess when it charges or heats up, losing acid levels. Bring up to normal wet cell battery fluid levels. Add only distilled water.....like $1 per gallon at wally world.

So my reason to post this is to remind people that their battery is and does benefit from minimal service. I once had a wet cell battery in my former 1989 Toyota truck last 7+ years strong. And I believe most owners here neglect it and just replace with new when they fail, some prematurely. Even the Camaro owners manual make no mention of battery service, just where its located.

In retrospect, I could have taken some pics to add here, but did not think of it at the time. Accessing the battery is as easy as lifting the trunk felt mat, unscrewing the plastic "circular wing nut", removing the "plastic floor" and compressor, remove the 12mm bolts on battery hold down clamp, then carefully remove the two battery vent caps.

I'm sure GM prefers selling batteries.

NOTE 11/15/16 ** It has been reported in this thread on page two, 2014 and later batteries are sealed, cannot remove battery cap.

Last edited by polizzio; 11-15-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added note
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
Thanks. I've never even looked at it. I had a couple of slow cranks this winter and had it checked. I was told it wouldn't make it another winter based on their readings. Any fix/maintenance that costs a buck is worth trying.
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
polizzio

Yer welcome niznos.

Oh its better than trying. The battery has an external vent because the basic lead acid wet cell generates low volumes of hydrogen gas. Hydrogen (H2) production is directly from the sulfuric acid (H2SO4)/water (H2O) mixture. Replenishing the fluid lost with distilled water controls the sulfuric acid solution concentration, and prevents the lead plates from being exposed from low fluid level. Exposure of the lead plates is the death knell to a wet cell battery. Adding tap water is equally deadly (potentially full of minerals, chemicals, and solids you cannot see with the naked eye).

They like to refer to them as no maintenance batteries so they (battery manufacturers) can sell new batteries prematurely to the uninformed owners/users

a reference for those who like to research or just don't believe every tom, dick or harry on the internet:
http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html
Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
I just got around to doing this on a 2010 with 68,xxx miles and it took about 2.5 cups of distilled water to bring each cell to about 3/4" from the hole. Definitely worth doing.

On a side note, I just noticed and I'm not sure this belongs in the suspension/brakes/chassis section...
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Batteries aren't maintenance free?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Batteries aren't maintenance free?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Only AGM batteries are maintenance free.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Only AGM batteries are maintenance free.
I believe you are incorrect.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
We just did this on our trailer batteries this past weekend. Never even thought to check my car but I didn't know these types of batteries even existed until this past weekend. I have an extra bottle left over (bought 2, used 3/4 of one). Thanks for the heads up!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
I wanted to pass this on to fellow owners. I searched here on the website for battery service and found nada. After searching, I found our battery in the trunk is a conventional wet cell low maintenance type. Members report battery service life anywhere from 1.5 years to 4.

So yesterday I decided to pick up some distilled water and take a look at my battery. I own a 2012 V6 auto with about 22,500 miles on odo. Very simple to access battery below trunk. Wear eye protection...clear eyeglasses! Carefully remove the cell caps and the battery fluid levels were a bit low but not too bad. So I carefully topped each cell (6) off with the distilled water. Using a small measuring cup will aid adding fluid without spilling it all over the place. Do not add too much otherwise battery will vent excess when it charges or heats up, losing acid levels. Bring up to normal wet cell battery fluid levels. Add only distilled water.....like $1 per gallon at wally world.

So my reason to post this is to remind people that their battery is and does benefit from minimal service. I once had a wet cell battery in my former 1989 Toyota truck last 7+ years strong. And I believe most owners here neglect it and just replace with new when they fail, some prematurely. Even the Camaro owners manual make no mention of battery service, just where its located.

In retrospect, I could have taken some pics to add here, but did not think of it at the time. Accessing the battery is as easy as lifting the trunk felt mat, unscrewing the plastic "circular wing nut thingy", removing the "plastic floor" and compressor, remove the 12mm bolts on battery hold down clamp, then carefully remove the two battery vent caps.

I'm sure GM prefers selling batteries.
How did you remove the cell caps?
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
polizzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How did you remove the cell caps?
They remove easily with a small flat blade screw driver, prying gently under the edge of cap, and working along as the cap comes up. There are two large caps on the top of battery. Each cap covers 3 cells if I remember right.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
polizzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
We just did this on our trailer batteries this past weekend. Never even thought to check my car but I didn't know these types of batteries even existed until this past weekend. I have an extra bottle left over (bought 2, used 3/4 of one). Thanks for the heads up!
You are quite welcome. Now take care of that Camaro battery too
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
They remove easily with a small flat blade screw driver, prying gently under the edge of cap, and working along as the cap comes up. There are two large caps on the top of battery. Each cap covers 3 cells if I remember right.
How much water did you put in ...just to cover the cells or to the bottom of the cell cap holes? Thanks again, Mike
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #13
polizzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
How much water did you put in ...just to cover the cells or to the bottom of the cell cap holes? Thanks again, Mike
CAUTIONS:
Absolutely WEAR some sort of protective eyewear, clear glasses or goggles when opening the caps, adding distilled water, and closing the caps. Battery contains sulfuric acid. Wash any splashing from your hands immediately!
Wet cell batteries produce hydrogen gas. DO NO smoke or put ANY source of ignition (open flame or any spark) anywhere near the trunk while servicing the battery, or just before or after.
DO NOT overfill the battery.

You want the lead plates submerged at all times. Do not fill to the bottom of the cell cap holes....way way too high. If you overfill, it will go out of the vent and reduce the sulfuric acid solution level in the battery. Add distilled water to about 3/4 of an inch below the bottom of the cell holes. When the lead plates are exposed from a lack of fluid level, they sulfate. Overfilling will cause fluid loss from temperature changes and battery function thru the vent. Either one is detrimental to battery service life. Use a flashlight held overhead while adding water to the cells. I use a clean pyrex 2 cup measuring cup from the kitchen to add water. Has a nice little pour spout on it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
Question: if you need to change your battery for whatever reason is there a whole production to change it ?or just take bad one out put new one in? I am asking because some dude at autozone told me he he wouldnt change it beacause if you didnt do it in ten minutes or less. Your whole electrical system could go haywire and he didnt want to be responsible ..... ?????