Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #29
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
Well, GM has drawn a line in the sand and will not do anything more until I remove my tint. I've asked to talk to someone and explain to me what's going on with my car and GM customer service will not let me. I've explained that my window tint is non-metallic and they don't care. I asked them if they will pay to have it reinstalled if it proves not to be this issue and they said NO.

One thing I don't understand about this is, how many 5th gen Camaros have tint? Maybe 50%? Of those tinted this doesn't appear to be a major issue with these cars. So, even if it did turn out to be the tint how is this still not an issue with the car?

So in order to get this car fixed I have to reach into my pocket and pay another $300 to have my tint removed and replaced.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #30
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
I had a problem where the TPMS was intermittent for several months, then the RKE stopped working. I went to the dealer 4 times before I got it fixed. They replaced the module that interfaces the TPMS and the RKE, then the BCM. The problems still existed. Their calls to GM service were not effective. Finally they searched somewhere on GM and found a step by step troubleshooting procedure for these two problems. They came up with a connector under the dash that was the problem. They could wiggle it and the problems would come and go. They wouldn't tell me what the site was where the information was found, so I can't give you a reference for that. HTH.

As a related note, they told me at first that the problem was being caused by the addition of the CurbAlert unit and that aftermarket additions to the electrical system voided the warranty, but they would fix it as a PR service!

Good luck. I know first hand how frustrating a persistent problem is when the dealer can't fix it. I hope your dealer is closer than mine; each trip for me was 35 miles to and 35 miles from. They finally decided to keep it until they got the problem fixed. I took it in on a Wed. and got it back the next Wed.

This connector-jiggle fix would really help some of us. Anyone know where this connector or the RKE/BCM is located?

My 2010 would keep the programming for about 20 minutes of driving before the service message come up and all sensors show "--" If a simple jiggle or press on a connector was all it took...
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #31
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
For all cars with remote start, it is beside the rearview mirror. At some point, it got moved there for all Camaros, as my 2014 manual (no remote start, obviously), has it by the mirror.

Yours will be under the dash somewhere unless someone moved it, just not sure where. If you are going to bother taking apart the dash, might as well change out the RKE for a new one and move it.

The RKE part number is #13503205. The kit to move it to beside the rear view mirror, where it will get better reception, is #92213216.

You'll be in it for $200. But, if you know the wheel sensors are good, then this will probably fix the problem. If not, you might have to look to the BCM.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #32
niznos

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post
For all cars with remote start, it is beside the rearview mirror. At some point, it got moved there for all Camaros, as my 2014 manual (no remote start, obviously), has it by the mirror.

Yours will be under the dash somewhere unless someone moved it, just not sure where. If you are going to bother taking apart the dash, might as well change out the RKE for a new one and move it.

The RKE part number is #13503205. The kit to move it to beside the rear view mirror, where it will get better reception, is #92213216.

You'll be in it for $200. But, if you know the wheel sensors are good, then this will probably fix the problem. If not, you might have to look to the BCM.
Awesome. Part numbers FTW. Do you know if replacing the RKE is a simple swap, or will there be post-install programming involved? If there is, is it user or dealer programmable only? Depending on it's location, I wonder if it's accessible with the glove box out or just going in from the bottom.

I just had tires and sensors replaced last week, so I know they're good. I thought it was the sensors going out which is why I replaced them. Plus, the sensors learn into the system normally (both with or without using the programming tool), it just seems to stop receiving in normal operation, or the programming is dropped after a while altogether. There's no way to know which it is without reading the RKE's mind, so to speak. Either way, it sounds like what others are describing as the issue with the RKE module.

I hope this is closely related enough to not have to start another topic. Sorry to the OP if it feels like I thread jacked.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #33
USMUCL

Not sure if RKE swap requires relearn but it can't hurt. For your model year, you can do the relearn procedure. In later model years, it takes dealer programming.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #34
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
My brain hurts trying to wrap my head around the dealer blaming the issue on window tint.

It seems like the standard operating procedure for dealers fixing issues is this
-Does car have any aftermarket parts? If yes blame the aftermarket parts
If no jerk the car owner around until he gets tired of coming to the dealer.
I thought for a dealer to decline warranty work based on aftermarket parts they needed to prove how the part messed up the car. It sounds like they are just blaming window tint with nothing to back it up ti get out of doing the work.
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #35
USMUCL

Well, in GM's defense, many window tints used to be metallic, which legitimately could interfere. Nowadays though, most are not.

And the $15/hr tech on the phone with the dealer is just reading from the same "if-then" troubleshooting guide that dates back to said metallic tint.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #36
niznos

OK, so I attempted to remedy this issue again, this time the idea was to start "from scratch."

I removed the LED DRL bulbs and installed the stock ones, and removed the gen5diy halo harness, because someone else reported possible interference from these. I've also heard LEDs may introduce noise on the wire.

I removed the negative battery cable overnight to possibly reset any gremlins that were learned in since the bulbs and harness were in-play the last time the TPMS was learned.

I then took the car to a local tire shop to relearn the sensors in this "clean" state with a programming tool. My tires and TPMS sensors were new since about 2 weeks ago, so I know they are otherwise good.

The car was driven 3 times over the course of 2 days. Each driving session was to run an errand, to and from a store of some sort, no more than 20 minutes each trip. During this time, I watched the TPMS display and was able to watch the reading in each build up over the drive time as the tires warmed up, meaning each of the 4 tires were reading pressure, transmitting good signal and the car was receiving it all.

Today, the service warning came back on. Without confirmation of the RKE location and that replacing the RKE will not require dealer only programming, I guess I'm going to have to go to the dealer and get them to replace the RKE receiver. I will post back when I finally get around to dealing with this. My SS isn't a daily driver so it may be a while.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #37
USMUCL

If it is not under warranty, just order the RKE and do it yourself and save some $. Plus, you can get the relocation kit.

I KNOW that the 2010s could be programmed without the dealer -- lots of threads on that. As for location of the RKE in your dash, it can't be that hard to find. Search around, and PM others who have relocated it, if need be.

You'll spend more time messing with a dealer than handling it yourself . . . and certainly less money unless the car is under warranty.

BTW, when the TPMS warning flashes, which tire is not reading? Is it always the same tire or tires?
Old 10-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #38
niznos

It's not under warranty anymore.

Since I have to go to the dealer for the key recall, I'm going to ask them to update the BCM programming per this old thread about TPMS issues:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...eceiver&page=2

Page 2, post 50

Figure I'd try that before spending money on the next logical fix. It's an old thread, but it's definitely applicable to my 2010.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #39
niznos

Oh, forgot to answer: this time is just the left-front, but historically (before this clean slate reprogram), it could have been any combination or all 4.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #40
niznos

For anyone still keeping tabs: I went to the dealer and they did the BCM program update reflash and it did not fix it. Thankfully, they said there would be no charge for the reflash since the problem remains. I was first quoted about $100 for labor/diagnostics if this would have fixed the problem.

GM engineers were contacted and they said they've seen a handful of these needing to have the RKE receiver replaced. They called it the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver). My car is off the CPO warranty, but the dealer said they'd check with GM to see if they would cover, even partially, the cost of the replacement, which they quoted at about $500.

I'm still waiting to see what GM is willing to do, but I'm not inclined to spend $500 to simply get a light to turn off in the dash. The TPMS system is no good to me and there are other ways to remedy this for less than $500, if GM doesn't go to bat for me.

I'm also going to look into if a custom tune can kill the TPMS or at least the warning light. I'm already running a Diablosport I1000 (on an off-the-shelf tune) and a custom tune would be much cheaper than $500, plus I get the performance added in.

If it turns out that tuning also can't get rid of it, then I will be finally ordering the RKE receiver and doing this myself.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #41
USMUCL

You're more hard headed than my wife

See post #31. Go on a discount GM parts website and buy a new RKE (Remote Keyless Entry module, which also handles TPMS) and the relocation kit -- thus tackling two possibilities at once for about $200. Install yourself, probably take about an hour.

I give that about a 98% chance of fixing your problem.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #42
niznos

I know. I can see why you'd think that, but my approach is not to unnecessarily throw money at it. If the BCM reflash would have worked for $100, then it's better then $200 and a half day of work for a new relocated RKE module. I'm just posting these developments for future searchers.

And I know I'm longwinded most of the time too, but I have to write detailed reports for work so I agonize over descriptions of situations...