Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #43
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post
You're more hard headed than my wife

See post #31. Go on a discount GM parts website and buy a new RKE (Remote Keyless Entry module, which also handles TPMS) and the relocation kit -- thus tackling two possibilities at once for about $200. Install yourself, probably take about an hour.

I give that about a 98% chance of fixing your problem.
Any chance you have a part number for those? I have gone through about 40 pages of GM parts and have not found them yet.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #44
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I haven't read through every post. But I had the same issue with my left rear sensor. I had installed a new navigation radio with the Scosche head unit. I had read some threads saying this was the problem. I changed everything out to a Mylink with nav unit. I no longer have the TPMS issue. I've had the Mylink in for about 2 weeks and no re-occurance of the issue. It would appear that was the problem in my case, anyway.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #45
niznos

Drives: 2010 2SS MT RS
CHMSC: The part numbers are in post 31... like it says.

benji: I do not have that unit. My stereo is stock.

USMUCL and anyone searching for the thread: I found the thread with the actual location and complete instructions on the RKE relocation. It's at http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88586
Post 18.
niznos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #46
USMUCL

Drives: 2014 Red Camaro 1SS 1LE
Good find, Niz.

For others, remember that the RKE is already "relocated" behind the rear view mirror for all years of the 5th gen if you have remote start. At some point, it was put there for all models regardless to remote start, I'm just not sure when. My 2014 model with manual trans and no remote start already has the RKE by the mirror.
USMUCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #47
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMUCL View Post
Good find, Niz.

For others, remember that the RKE is already "relocated" behind the rear view mirror for all years of the 5th gen if you have remote start. At some point, it was put there for all models regardless to remote start, I'm just not sure when. My 2014 model with manual trans and no remote start already has the RKE by the mirror.
My '13 built Sept '12 manual trans and no remote start (da) does NOT have the RKE by the mirror
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #48
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
My '13 built Sept '12 manual trans and no remote start (da) does NOT have the RKE by the mirror
My 2014 has it by the mirror. Interestingly, there is a bulletin for 2013 - 2014 models in how the wire is run to the RKE when by the mirror. So, I wonder if it was a mid-2013 switch, though the document doesn't seem to note that some 2013s won't have the RKE by the mirror.

I did a separate thread on this, but basically the document states:

"Some customers may comment on the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) light on and/or loss of TPM reading displayed on the driver information center (DIC).

This condition may be due to the HVAC blower setting on Max or Max-1, causing electro-magnetic interference (EMI) generating noise through the remote control door lock receiver to the body control module (BCM) wires, intermittently causing the TPM light to come on."

The document goes on to recommend that the technician cut the connector to the RKE at the mirror and run new wires for it via the driver's side (as opposed to the passenger side where it came from factory). I guess this gets the wiring away from the HVAC interference.
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #49
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by niznos View Post
CHMSC: The part numbers are in post 31... like it says.

benji: I do not have that unit. My stereo is stock.

USMUCL and anyone searching for the thread: I found the thread with the actual location and complete instructions on the RKE relocation. It's at http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88586
Post 18.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #50
Joeko23

Drives: None
Hey guys I just went through this issue with my 2013 zl1. Here is what the issue was: ezpass interference. I had my ezpass mounted in the upper center of the windshield in the area where the dome light/sunroof switch is. Apparently the tpms receiver is located there and the ezpass signal interferes because the tpms receiver is so close to the ezpass. If you guys have ezpass mounted anywhere on the windshield take it off (I put mine in the cupholder temporarily). After about 20 mins of driving at above 40mph everything should reset. By the way when I initially came to dealer to report the problem the tech told me right away that ezpass could interfere. I told him this was bs because I had all my ezpass mounted on windshield (isn't that where your supposed to mount it??))after having dealer replace all 4 sensors and receiver out of pure frustration I decided to take off my ezpass and the light has not come on since!! Hope this helps. Good luck guys!! So stupid that tpms sensors would throw the same signal as ezpass.
Joeko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #51
USMUCL

Supposedly the Ezpasses are dormant until "woken up" at the tolls, thus making it impossible to interfere.

How scientific was this for you? In other words, are you saying you got the TPMS warning frequently, and then it went away within minutes of taking the EZpass down? How long has it been since you took it down and went error free?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #52
Joeko23

Drives: None
The tech also thought hey were dormant until woken up which is why they continued to replace the 4 tpms sensors in the wheels and then the receiver. Once all components were replaced I drove home from the dealer and within 20 mins of highway driving I got the tpms error again so that's when I decided to take off the ezpass from the windshield. Put it in my cupholder and within another 20 mins of highway driving the tpms error disappeared and hasn't been on since.

Before I removed the ezpass the tpms service message would consistently be on when I was driving around town (stop and go driving and mixed speeds) when I would go on the highway and I was cruising at highway speeds within 20-30 mins tpms service would clear and show all tire pressures, then within another 20-30 mins tpms service would come on again.

Again if you guys have an ezpass mounted on your windshield just try removing it and drive around at highway speeds for 20-30 mins and see what happens it's a really easy fix and I wouldn't have wasted like 3 weeks having my car in the dealer etc.

For now I'm keeping the ezpass in my cupholder and hold it up to the windshield when I need to use it, then put it back in the cupholder.

Last edited by Joeko23; 11-09-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Addition
Joeko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #53
niznos

For anyone doing this, I just found the RKE receiver on Amazon for $79.99 by searching the part number.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #54
niznos

...And it didn't fix it. The sensors are new so that leaves the BCM, and I'm not replacing that. The expense is way too much for the simple goal of turning a dummy light off. I give up.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #55
USMUCL

You moved the RKE to the windshield using the relocation kit, and you still get the warning light?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #56
niznos

No, I didn't relocate the RKE, just replaced. I didn't add remote start or anything and felt it was unnecessary for what symptoms I had. The keyfob, which sends signals to the same device, works from 50 feet away. The farthest TMPS sensor would never be that far.