Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #7533
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
AG Healey is quite clear about new sales. She put it in writing and gave it to the Boston Globe to distribute https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...pYM/story.html . She is emphatically clear. She says it will stop now. She told manufacturers and FFLs that yesterday. And nowhere do I suggest that the firearm needs to be an AR type.

And there's something I need to address. You say quote

Firstly no, I do not say that. AG Healey does. Secondly, she specifically mentioned firearms purchased before 20 July 16- that was Wednesday. So by her own statement those are not "banned". That's [insert joke here] what she said. "Banning" them would require confiscation, logically. Again I quote Maura Healey here:

"We recognize that most residents who purchased these guns in the past believed they were doing so legally, so this directive will not apply to possession of guns purchased before Wednesday."

Note she says "possesion" specifically. This suggests that the sale is prohibited. But is that suggestion law? As I say we must collect info.

Did you just not understand what I posted? Or maybe you didn't know I was referring the the AG's statements verbatim?
The difference is, you're referring to the AG's statement to the media. I understand what you said just fine. You aren't understanding the point I'm making. You want me to note how she says possession, but I want you to note that you haven't read her directive, which specifically says

"The sale, transfer, or possession of an “Assault weapon,” as defined in Section 121, is unlawful pursuant to G.L. c. 140, §§ 128 and 131M." (and then continues)

That would mean that, after the date this goes in effect it doesn't "suggest" that sale is prohibited. It SAYS it in black and white. It also says transfer, which means you can't even give it to someone else.

I'm referring to what is actually written down in the text she's referring to, which is what the law will be enforced from... (http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html)... AG Letter and Guidance.

It's kind of like having a press release to tell people something hypothetical like "If you like your doctor, you can keep him", while the actual law that statement was there to represent can be enforced rather differently.

Although as an addition to the point I was making, her statement to the media that you referenced specifically says:

"The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal."

Again... read what her actual directive says. Remember that's how it will be enforced, not how she may make it seem in her press release.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #7534
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Well Just Bought a Saiga IZ109T last night. Discussion came up last night with my wife as she enjoys shooting with me and explained that I had found some left over RWC Saiga -12 in the market and just so happened she seen something on facebook where people are getting worried about owning them. She said if you're going to get one you should now. Now you gun guys know what this means. I have free permission not to get hassled] over randomly bringing another expensive gun home. lol I bought it 15 minutes later after I filled out the FFL information.

The first picture is new in box. Second picture is what it will look like after I go through the gun. Hopefully I do not have to redo the ports but expected. I will make run reliable and shoot low velocity brass too.
Attached Images

drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #7535
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
She said if you're going to get one you should now. Now you gun guys know what this means. I have free permission not to get hassled] over randomly bringing another expensive gun home. lol I bought it 15 minutes later after I filled out the FFL information.
Congrats

These two points are how buying a firearm should be..............
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #7536
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
My 1911 is functionally finished. Just need to cut the slide for sights and make some adjustments to the thumb and grip safety, but it's basically there.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 07-24-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #7537
Tenring

Looking good, were you ever on AZShooting?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #7538
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Looking good, were you ever on AZShooting?
No, I'm on Calguns though.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #7539
Tenring

What are you using for the barrel, bushing, internal parts? Have you decided on sights yet?

I would checker that front strap if it was mine, I prefer 20lpi but most like 30.......
Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #7540
Bhobbs

Quote:
What are you using for the barrel, bushing, internal parts? Have you decided on sights yet?

I would checker that front strap if it was mine, I prefer 20lpi but most like 30.......
The frame is a Tactical Machining 80% frame. The slide is Caspian. All the internals are Wilson Combat. I have Novak sights, I just need to cut the dovetails for them.

Yeah, I need to have it checkered. I don't have much experience with newer 1911s so I don't know what pattern I want to go with. My grandpa has an original M1911 which made me want one of my own.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #7541
Tenring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The frame is a Tactical Machining 80% frame. The slide is Caspian. All the internals are Wilson Combat. I have Novak sights, I just need to cut the dovetails for them.

Yeah, I need to have it checkered. I don't have much experience with newer 1911s so I don't know what pattern I want to go with. My grandpa has an original M1911 which made me want one of my own.
It looks like you are doing a fantastic job, it will be a great shooter for sure.

I like your choices on the parts, if the Main Spring Housing is WC also, then it is probably checkered at 30lpi. 20 is a little rough for most folks.

Very nice
Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #7542
drivingagain

Quote:

Looks like you are on a good start. Thank you for showing the tactical Machining lower. I have a Tactical Machining custom AR-15. They are made like 30 miles from me and I did not know they started with 1911 parts. Very cool. Love the AR-15 I built from them.

I see the TM 1911 recon lowers are hard to get too.

Last edited by drivingagain; 07-25-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #7543
Bhobbs

Quote:
It looks like you are doing a fantastic job, it will be a great shooter for sure.

I like your choices on the parts, if the Main Spring Housing is WC also, then it is probably checkered at 30lpi. 20 is a little rough for most folks.

Very nice
Thanks. It's my first 1911 build so I'm pretty excited to see how I did.

I'll try to find out what pattern is on the main spring housing. It seems pretty comfortable to me.

Quote:
Looks like you are on a good start. Thank you for showing the tactical Machining lower. I have a Tactical Machining custom AR-15. They are made like 30 miles from me and I did not know they started with 1911 parts. Very cool. Love the AR-15 I built from them.

I see the TM 1911 recon lowers are hard to get too.
I bought the frame about a year and a half ago. I just never got around to working on it until now.

I'm curious how strong these frames are because I'm considering another build in 10mm auto and that round is a lot hotter than .45 ACP.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #7544
drivingagain

They said they are made out of forged 4140. I would think they are strong enough for 10mm. I wanted to build my next 1911 into a .460 rowland conversion from a 4150 slide and frame. I am pretty sure this frame is strong enough for that as well even though it is a 4140 frame. I had a colt military 1911 I was going to turn into this and found out that the steel was not strong enough during the year it was made.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #7545
Bhobbs

Quote:
They said they are made out of forged 4140. I would think they are strong enough for 10mm. I wanted to build my next 1911 into a .460 rowland conversion from a 4150 slide and frame. I am pretty sure this frame is strong enough for that as well even though it is a 4140 frame. I had a colt military 1911 I was going to turn into this and found out that the steel was not strong enough during the year it was made.
The website says investment cast, which is why I'm concerned.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #7546
MarkZ

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
The website says investment cast, which is why I'm concerned.
I wouldn't worry about it being an investment casting.....but what material is it made out of? Just curious.

Tags
camaro gun