Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
Battery Tender

I need the forum's help. I don't drive mine that much (usually just on friday's to work, and then some on the weekend). twice now I have had to jump start my car. So I think I need a battery tender. here's my issue. I have basically no knowledge of tenders or how they work. first what is a good one to get, and secondly how do you hook them up? do you hook the up to the terminal under the hood? also there is only a positive under the hood so where do you put the negative? any guidance from you guys is appreciated. thanks - Andy
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
get a tender jr.
find a bolt on the frame near the positive hookup in the engine compartment for the negative lead.
run both leads up by the hood latch so it's easy to reach when ya pop the hood.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
There is a silver metal extention on the drivers side fender strickly for jumping or charging. You have something wrong or a light on or something if your battery is discharging after a few days. I usually put my car on the tender every other week for a charge. I go directly in the truck and straight to the battery.
Hall of Fame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I've used the Battery Sentinel Plus for the past several years for winter storage.. Really compact and works well. A little larger than a pack of cigarettes. These things trickle charge to 13 point something volts then go into float mode and cycle on-off to maintain this voltage. To connect mine I popped the cover off the POS lug under the hood on the driver's side and drilled a hole in the terminal to connect the positive lead of the charger with a self tapping screw. There is a stud right next to it on a bracket on the strut tower and I put the negative lead under this. There is a connector on these wires going to the charger so you can disconnect when not in use and zip tie the leads to the battery cable. If you want I can take some pics so you can see how it's connected. You can buy one here.

http://www.ineedparts.com/tools-and-...-chargers.html

Click on the 12V symbol. It's the first one on the next page after you click on the 12V. Costs about $43.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I have the same issue. My car sat for 30 days in October. I had to jump start it. I don't drive it in winter, so I'd better get a tender of some sort.

Would it be better to just disconnect the negative battery lead in the trunk for the winter? I know I'd have to leave the trunk ajar in order to be able to get back in to hook it back up.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Supercharged2SS

mcclark - man, could you please take some pictures? that would be super helpful. thank you.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged2SS View Post
mcclark - man, could you please take some pictures? that would be super helpful. thank you.
No problem, will have to wait until this evening though. Car's at home. Crappy weather today. I'll post in this thread.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
get a tender jr.
find a bolt on the frame near the positive hookup in the engine compartment for the negative lead.
run both leads up by the hood latch so it's easy to reach when ya pop the hood.
+1

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...8962632&sr=8-1

Positive post is on the front of the fuse box under the hood. This comes with the quick-connect cable to leave it, or use the spring clamps temporarily. Works great!
572HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Your battery should not run down in a week. Make sure it is charged good the next time you let it set. Are you driving it very far each week. MAybe it is not getting a full charge.
You can bring it over to my house and I will keep that battery charged during the week. Of course there might be a few extra miles on it each week.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Supercharged2SS

allright, this is going to be most likely the dumbest quesiton of the forum today, but I gotta know..... I am embarassed to even ask: do you leave the hood open while this gizmo is plugged in? or is there someway to feed the cabling out so you can plug it into the wall?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"

Joking! I put a velcro strap around the cable to secure it when not in use, and then drop the cable out the bottom of the engine compartment and hook it up under the car. Just remember to unplug it Leaving the hood up just a little would remind you to unplug it.
572HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
KDInTheWind63

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM, LS3 - 2SS SIM, L99
Send a message via Yahoo to KDInTheWind63
My Camaro sits for 5 -6 weeks at a time where nobody touches it at any time and it starts everytime i crank it no problems. I have been doing this for a year now with no problems. I think you either got a bad battery or your charging system is not doing good. I would call the dealer and have them check on it.
KDInTheWind63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged2SS View Post
allright, this is going to be most likely the dumbest quesiton of the forum today, but I gotta know..... I am embarassed to even ask: do you leave the hood open while this gizmo is plugged in? or is there someway to feed the cabling out so you can plug it into the wall?
It's kind of a pain to drop through the engine compartment and connect if you're doing this on a regular basis. I would just run it out the front on top and leave the hood cracked like 572 says as long as it's secured in a garage. Sometimes I go a couple of weeks without driving mine and don't have any battery issues. Like someone else said, you might want to get it checked out. I only use the charger during the winter when it's in storage.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Here is a thread on how I permanently installed my Schumacher automatic charger/tender. You can get one of these for $20 - $30.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54285