Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
deShaneo

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Dead radio/USB, 2 weeks and only 600 miles.

Just heads up my 2013 ZL1's 7" touch screen and USB is dead only after 600 miles of use. :(. Funny thing is my 2011 SS had it's USB go out, just had that replaced 4 weeks ago. Media module was fried. I'm guessing this is the case here too. My guesstimate is, there is a problem with power feed back from devices like Iphones. They probably need a fusible link between the usb and the module, or something to handle a power coming back over USB. Both times seemed to happen right after I unplugged my Iphone while it was playing. Back to the dealer with my second Camaro for the same problem, haha.
At least the exhaust sounds good on the ZL!
deShaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by deShaneo View Post
Just heads up my 2013 ZL1's 7" touch screen and USB is dead only after 600 miles of use. :(. Funny thing is my 2011 SS had it's USB go out, just had that replaced 4 weeks ago. Media module was fried. I'm guessing this is the case here too. My guesstimate is, there is a problem with power feed back from devices like Iphones. They probably need a fusible link between the usb and the module, or something to handle a power coming back over USB. Both times seemed to happen right after I unplugged my Iphone while it was playing. Back to the dealer with my second Camaro for the same problem, haha.
At least the exhaust sounds good on the ZL!
I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with the radio. Please let us know how the service appointment goes and what the dealer has to say regarding your diagnosis.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
alex33x

I have issues with the radio though different. When I get a call on my cell phone I cant answer it and if I try the radio freezes, so no call, no music, no navigation no anything.

My Ipod never stops indexing either, so I never have full control. I've been lazy to take to the dealer though. lol
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
I would be concerned that there is an issue with the device you are plugging in since now two separate USB ports have been "killed" . . . just a thought?
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
That's why you should use the bluetooth, it works great ...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
deShaneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's why you should use the bluetooth, it works great ...
I have used that but the Pandora integration is really cool and the ability to charge the device.
This happened with an Iphone 3GS and then with a Iphone 4.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
deShaneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing with the radio. Please let us know how the service appointment goes and what the dealer has to say regarding your diagnosis.

Brandon
Thanks for the feed back!
I'm happy to report for no reason at all the radio started working. It was really, really strange though, it was like no power at all to it. Even after turning the car off and on. Pushing the power on the radio nothing seemed to make it come on. Now this afternoon when I went to start it, just came on. With cars, these issues don't really fix themselves. I'm sure I'll see it again
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
deShaneo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
I have issues with the radio though different. When I get a call on my cell phone I cant answer it and if I try the radio freezes, so no call, no music, no navigation no anything.

My Ipod never stops indexing either, so I never have full control. I've been lazy to take to the dealer though. lol
Do you have the touch screen or the other one? I used to have the indexing problem with the older style in my 2011 SS.
-Shane
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
alex33x

Quote:
Originally Posted by deShaneo View Post
Do you have the touch screen or the other one? I used to have the indexing problem with the older style in my 2011 SS.
-Shane
All 13's have a touch screen. I had the same issue on my 2010 though, I had to take it in for an update.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Mine has actually worked flawlessly to my suprise I expected issue since it is a new unit. I have not been a big fan of factory electronics in the past but the My link in my camaro and the Uconnect in my dart so far so good.

I think it has alot to do with what devices you connect.

I have an Iphone 4 it seems to work just fine. it would not recognize my 2nd gen nano but that thing is old as dirt. Apple has changed things over time. I think the older units will have issues.

Ironically these new units are basically computers so they probabaly just need a reboot sometimes when they glitch.

we will see how it does with time though.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
I have this problem right now and it sucks..On my 13 2SS of course... Lost steering wheel controls, onstar, volume, power and a frozen screen. It now has not functioned properly in the past 15-18hrs no temporary glitch. There must be a software update. Mine was not due to plugging in a phone it was coming out of reverse into 1st and it froze on backup camera and hasnt worked right ever since.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Have you had the chance to get this address by a dealership? They should be able to diagnose this for you. Please let us know the outcome!

Brandon
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
sef6

Drives: ZL1 '14, Tahoe '13
radio/navigation display dead

My 2014 ZL-1 is 4 days old, seems to be acting as described in this thread. The display screen and heater controls are no-shows. The FM seems to work as my previously set station and levels come on, just no display. Checked fuses, all seem good. Obviously I'll be going to the dealer for a look-see. Anybody got a fix to save me leaving my baby at the dealer while they fix?
sef6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Hi sef6!

Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. If further assistance is needed, we are happy to help!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by sef6 View Post
My 2014 ZL-1 is 4 days old, seems to be acting as described in this thread. The display screen and heater controls are no-shows. The FM seems to work as my previously set station and levels come on, just no display. Checked fuses, all seem good. Obviously I'll be going to the dealer for a look-see. Anybody got a fix to save me leaving my baby at the dealer while they fix?
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote