Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #71
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
This is my personal experience, too. With the exception of some abrasions in the gills area due to the wide, sticky front tires.

A lot of this, beyond the design of the car, also has to do with the area one drives in.
This...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #72
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERIS View Post
Hey guys...blame the currant top gun in office!
Current*
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #73
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
Man everyone bitching about paint quality.. I must of hit the jackpot on getting ashen grey, paint is flawless... over 5 k miles... with no harsh whether though...
Grey and white hide road abrasions the best.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #74
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
Grey and white hide road abrasions the best.
Huh that's funny I will never buy white again cause of the white Camry I bought my wife before her current one now... in my opinion white by far is the worst color to show everything, it was an absolute nightmare. So I can't agree with your hole statement but the grey for sure!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #75
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
My front fascia was repainted completely by a collision center owned by a Nissan and toyota dealership. It still chips. It's not GM guys. Car shape + water based paint + road debri = rock chips. If you drive it, it is gonna get chipped fact of life.
Car shape + water based paint + road debri = rock chips.
Car shape + OIL based paint + road debri = LESS rock chips.

You do know that the consumer has some say in these matters. We live in a representative thingy that shall not be mentioned. It's time for the unmentionable to start representing us, not some green lobby.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #76
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodyauto View Post
I hear this a lot on here, but when I bought the car the sales guy said something about 8 coats of paint or something? I'm guessing he probably was lying pretty hard to me...
More paint layers means MORE WEIGHT. More weight flies in the face of arbitrary mileage requirements set by beaurocrats who hate cars.

It also means MORE PRICE. That eco-pigment crap is EXPENSIVE.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #77
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
I mean there are many threads about this which is fine but all they do for me is remind me of my Camaro's paint...

Attachment 482076

These rock chips appeared after I waxed my Camaro for the first time. This paint blows!
when they say do not follow truck closely they mean it .

Last edited by MBS; 03-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #78
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
My front fascia was repainted completely by a collision center owned by a Nissan and toyota dealership. It still chips. It's not GM guys. Car shape + water based paint + road debri = rock chips. If you drive it, it is gonna get chipped fact of life.
not to mention most of them are using the same paint. they don't make it themselves, they buy it from Dupont, PPG, or some other company.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #79
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
How does GM get by with it?

Quote:
Umm you realize that dealer owned body shops are mostly in the business of doing cheap jobs right? They, like most dealership related business's try to maximize profit by cheating the customer. A professional body shop would cost more but you would have gotten a better job for that extra $500 or so you would have spent. In short, that Nissan shop could and put much more paint on than they did but whatever you paid I bet they made huge profit as compared to the actual cost of doing the work...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Umm you realize that dealer owned body shops are mostly in the business of doing cheap jobs right? T
had bodywork done on my wife's 2007 altima at a GM dealers bodyshop and their work was far superior to private shops I had dealt with in the past. and they had to match a metallic blue paint. was perfect.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #81
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERIS View Post
Hey guys...blame the currant top gun in office!
Yes, it is a well-known fact that one of the first things Obama did when he took office was mandate crappy auto paint.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #82
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
How does GM get by with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
had bodywork done on my wife's 2007 altima at a GM dealers bodyshop and their work was far superior to private shops I had dealt with in the past. and they had to match a metallic blue paint. was perfect.
Hence the Keyword, known as a word or concept of great significance, "MOSTLY"

It's not all of them but its most of them... There are bad private shops to OBVIOUSLY...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #83

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Don't like waterborne paint?

This type of automotive paint is not something new. GM and other car companies used waterborne paint as far back as the early 70's. GM had a plant in South Gate California that built Vega's and Monza's, I know, not necessarily good cars, which were sprayed with waterborne paint. Guess what, the solvent based painted cars rusted out the same as the waterborne painted cars did. I have seen West Coast Customs and Overhaulin explain the use of waterborne automotive paint which I think they use exclusively now. I have a couple of high end body shops in my area who have switched over to waterborne paint. They were not forced to do this by any governing body, they chose to do it because of cost saving and better finishes on the final product.
8863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #84
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8863 View Post
This type of automotive paint is not something new. GM and other car companies used waterborne paint as far back as the early 70's. GM had a plant in South Gate California that built Vega's and Monza's, I know, not necessarily good cars, which were sprayed with waterborne paint. Guess what, the solvent based painted cars rusted out the same as the waterborne painted cars did. I have seen West Coast Customs and Overhaulin explain the use of waterborne automotive paint which I think they use exclusively now. I have a couple of high end body shops in my area who have switched over to waterborne paint. They were not forced to do this by any governing body, they chose to do it because of cost saving and better finishes on the final product.
If you believe that, you probably also believe that humans can change the weather more than mother nature and the sun.