Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
relax ...his parents are probably successful or he's a young actor from the disney channel

its always good to see successful people
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Reborn

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
The SS isn't gonna be that close to the Vette. I'm guessing a loaded SS will be about 38K? (Give or take a few thousand). A Corvette (Base) goes for about 47K. And with options and such easily can hit up to 60K.

Either way, I don't suggest an SS or a Corvette as a first car. You should get used to driving first on a lower powered car. You will thank yourself that you did. There's enough temptation when you get your first car to just floor it down the highway, especially with your friends in the seat next to you. They will be tempting you to hit 100 mph, and I'd fear for my life.

A V6 Camaro might be a decent first car as well, but insurance is gonna be very high. VERY high even for a V6.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
jordan 572

Drives: none
thanks chevy dude i aint rich my gramps is i was talking a fully loaded ss
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
jordan 572

100 mph aint even fast i got going 111 on a little swamp with my dads 900 snowmobile but yeah i no i will have to be careful i am setting a max speed for myself of 100
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #19
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
relax ...his parents are probably successful or he's a young actor from the disney channel

its always good to see successful people
I'd probably think the same if I were in a position to give my children a buttload of cash and think nothing of it.

But I'm not, I worked a year straight saving paycheck to paycheck for my old Trans Am, see how that turned out. I'll have to do the same for my Camaro.

If your parents are helping you get the car (I'll call you Jordon), then congratulations, man! You lucked out.

Personally, I'd tell my child to earn at least a portion of the car to teach him some responsibility. Not to mention, if you earn it and worked your ass off for it, you eventually end up taking better care of it because you appreciate it more. But that's just me, like I said if I were rich enough to just hand money to my child as long as it makes him/her happy, I'd probably do the same.

My mother always tells me that your train of thought changes completely when you become a parent.

Oh, and I am boycotting the Camaro if even a fully-loaded SS is anywhere near the price of a base Vette, since that's still into the 40K range which would be absurd.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Well, i would tell you to avoid blowing your wad on a car as well, but my guess is that if you have 46k at 16 you are probably fed by a silver spoon, and you will not need to potential capitol gains from investing the money as your retirement is already set in place. Likewise, you can tell a 16 year old not to buy a particular car but it sounds like you already have it in mind that you are going to anyway, so trying to convince you otherwise is wasted effort. With that in mind, a base model corvette is still going to be more than a fully loaded SS. Either way you are talking about two completely different style cars. A Camaro is a 2+2 and a corvette is a 2 seater - power and performance aside, the Camaro is much better suited as an everyday car.

EDIT:
Quote:
thanks chevy dude i aint rich my gramps is i was talking a fully loaded ss
well, you posted this after I had already started my response. In this case, KEEP your 46k and INVEST IT! If you have 46k to invest at 16 earning a reasonable 8% you will have over $684,000 by the time you hit age 50 and almost $1,500,000 by the time you hit age 60! Or you can buy a new SS at an estimated cost of $40k and have an asset worth $20k in 5 years......
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
jordan 572

yeah i agree with u they will give me 43000 i will come up for the rest but yeah i do have to work for my money i wake up at 530 two days a week i no only two days a week and sweat and roll around in saw dust alll day at my uncles shop i may sound like a litle bitch but i respect u for earning ur car but also i always take care of my stuff i hate beat up things
Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #22
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I'd probably think the same if I were in a position to give my children a buttload of cash and think nothing of it.

But I'm not, I worked a year straight saving paycheck to paycheck for my old Trans Am, see how that turned out. I'll have to do the same for my Camaro.

If your parents are helping you get the car (I'll call you Jordon), then congratulations, man! You lucked out.

Personally, I'd tell my child to earn at least a portion of the car to teach him some responsibility. Not to mention, if you earn it and worked your ass off for it, you eventually end up taking better care of it because you appreciate it more. But that's just me, like I said if I were rich enough to just hand money to my child as long as it makes him/her happy, I'd probably do the same.

My mother always tells me that your train of thought changes completely when you become a parent.

Oh, and I am boycotting the Camaro if even a fully-loaded SS is anywhere near the price of a base Vette, since that's still into the 40K range which would be absurd.

You have good parents for making you buy your own stuff...

I have four children, and the most pwerful words other than "I love you" in raising a well round child and adult are "NO" and "If you want it, buy it yourself"

Handing money to your kids will only make them happy for a VERY short period of time, and make you miserable in the end!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
You have good parents for making you buy your own stuff...

I have four children, and the most pwerful words other than "I love you" in raising a well round child and adult are "NO" and "If you want it, buy it yourself"

Handing money to your kids will only make them happy for a VERY short period of time, and make you miserable in the end!
Thanks, man, I appreciate it! I'm only 20 now and ironically, growing up I used to be spoiled rotten. The reason I earn my own stuff is not because my mom tells me too, but because we're not rich. We got into a financial crisis that honestly, I say was for the better because it taught me to be a responsible person. Now we're middle class - while we're far from starving, we're not exactly rolling in money either. Just average.

Knowing my mother, I KNOW she would give me all the money I wanted if she could, but she can't, so I had to take things into my own hands, and now I would not have it any other way!

Oh, and Jordon, now to you answer your original question. When cost isn't that big a deal and you're buying a cool car, there are three things to consider.

(1). Insurance

(2). Image

(3). Girls

Pretty silly three things, right? Isn't it cool to have a lot of money?

The insurance - While a Camaro won't exactly be your average penny toss into the well for insurance, it will sure as hell be a lot cheaper than a 'Vette. 16 year old teenager, brand new C6? Uh-uh, not gonna fly for an insurance company. If you buy it outright and don't finance anything, you could just put PIP on it but then you won't get jack if you get into an accident - all it will do for you is keep you out of jail. This is of course assuming your local State Farm or Geico doesn't laugh you out of the office first.

Image - 16 year old in a 'Vette? No offense, but it yells spoiled rotten or "I'm learning stick-shift in dad's car!" 16 year old in a Camaro? Basically a rehash of the late 60's when 16 year olds always got Camaros! It shows you got a car for what it is, not for what it is to other people. You may be a true, authentic enthusiast of Corvettes, but to Joe Average, you'll be "Blake Wilkington" from Orange County with a flapmouth father who wipes his ass with 20s. However, you might not give a crap what people think: indeed one of the greatest attributes one can ever be lucky enough to have. That being the case, if you like the Vette, go for it!

Girls - A Vette will get you girls. A Camaro will get you women. Plain and simple.

Bottom line: Get the Camaro.

I leave you with these thoughts. Do note a majority of that was for comedic purposes, yet sadly enough half of it is true, at least here in Miami.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 07-25-2008 at 05:49 PM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
JW Camaro

Drives: '02 Camaro SS, '67 Camaro RS
Aww man, I'm 15 and when I turn 16 in a few months I know that I'll be nowhere close to that amount. It'd be nice if someone just threw me a few thousand dollars but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

My plan is to save for the next 3 or 4 years. I'll drive my parents '03 Tahoe. After that, I'll probably buy a used fourth gen to add to the collection in the garage. And once I earn myself enough money I'll be trading in the fourth gen for a brand new SS.
JW Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #25
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Girls - A Vette will get you girls. A Camaro will get you women. Plain and simple.
I disagree, a car will not get you any woman, period. But it will get you plenty of girls. Catch my drift?

Man and to think, in 1990 at the age of 18 I managed to get myself into a slightly used (18k miles), babied, loaded red on red 1988 Mustang LX 5.0. Other than the Buick GN and Corvette it was about the fastest thing made as far as regular production cars went at the time. And I had no business whatsoever having it. Too much car, far too little sense (and that '88 Mustang would be hard pressed to outrun the typical 6-cylinder family sedan of today). Now I know that not every 18 year old is an idiot to the extent I was, but I know that no child of mine will ever have anything resembling a performance car until they are old enough to buy it for themselves with their own money.

As for insurance, don't be suprised if the Corvette is cheaper to insure than the new Camaro. C5 insurance was typically less than an LS1 f-body, and don't forget that cost to repair is also a huge factor in insurance price. Repairing a wrecked 2010 Camaro, an all-new car from the ground up will be astronomically expensive for the first year or so because of limited parts availability.

Last edited by Craig; 07-25-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #26
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
Im glad that when i started driving i drove a crappy car, and worked my way up. It makes you appreciate something like the camaro so much more.
Exactly, I would never ever buy my kid a V8 Camaro or anything like this as a first car.. You buy a V6 at the most (which 300HP is a lot now anyways) and let them dream and work there way up to affording a more expensive car on their own.. Insurance and gas money will be much higher let alone monthly payments and you do have to buy premium with a V8.. Overall, I would definitely go with the V6, drive it for 5 to 10 years and then get the V8... You will appreciate the car much more if it is your money you are using rather than your parents to buy it...
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #27
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Exactly, I would never ever buy my kid a V8 Camaro or anything like this as a first car.. You buy a V6 at the most (which 300HP is a lot now anyways) and let them dream and work there way up to affording a more expensive car on their own.. Insurance and gas money will be much higher let alone monthly payments and you do have to buy premium with a V8.. Overall, I would definitely go with the V6, drive it for 5 to 10 years and then get the V8... You will appreciate the car much more if it is your money you are using rather than your parents to buy it...
+1 - I'm impressed the kid has saved/been given so much money but he should do himself a favor in the long run and go buy a 305 IROC and use the rest and get a good solid education.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
jordan, go get a beater car and learn how to drive first. if you plan on getting an SS, be prepared to kiss your air bags. not trying to be mean, but ive seen it too many times not to say something. young kid, hot car, gotta prove himself... then again, there will be plenty of older guys (and girls), hot car, trying to prove themselves.

all i gotta say is be careful.

dont want to be like the kid on youtube who drove his dad's new mustang into the garage cus he didnt know how to drive... (then again, maybe he was doing everyone a favor... destroying the mustang that is)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote