Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
18" Drag Radials w/FE4 suspension warning

Figured I would pass along my slight mishap with my 18" wheels so that I can hopefully prevent the same issue for someone else. I haven't seen this posted before so decided I would.

The weather was nice a couple days ago so I decided to change my oil, rotate tires, and test fit the drag radials I got (18" Corvette Grand Sport wheels). Good thing I did because it would've sucked to find this out at the drag strip.

I have converted my FE3 suspension over the FE4 with Pedders swaybars and OEM drop links. The threads on the FE4 drop links stick down pretty far. When I put on the 18" wheels they fit right on and I was able to bolt them up without issue or resistance which shows you how slight they touch. However when I backed off my small ramps I felt like the rear brake was on. Stopped, looked around to make sure there wasn't something I was running over or left in the way or anything and tried again. Nope, still felt like the emergency brake was on. Then I took a closer look and found the drop links were digging into the wheel. I felt like a dumbass for not seeing that before trying to back it off but that just wasn't in my mind and I knew they had worked on another 5th Gen camaro previously.

So, pulled out the butter cutter and took about 3/4" off of the drop link. Everything clears now but wish I would've thought to check it first.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Ouch!!! Sorry that happened to your wheels!!! But a sincere thank you for sharing a hard lesson-learned.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
caverman

Yeah....sucked it happened but at least they are drag racing only wheels. It didn't really hurt them too bad and definitely could've been worse. They aren't Welds or Bogarts or anything like that and I didn't snap a drop link or anything.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This is why I've decided to stick with 18's even though I'd love to do 17's with slicks.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue. There are a ton with fe4 conversions and I would be shocked if a few don't drag race their cars and run drag radials

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Bump! Want to know if anyone else has had this problem

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
I think OP installed the endlink upside down.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I think OP installed the endlink upside down.
Very possible. There were no directions as to which way to install them.
Build Journal
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Yep that's definitely the cause. I didn't know either till I checked around and was told to put them in with the head underneath and excess threads to the top. No instructions from Pedders with the kit.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Yep that's definitely the cause. I didn't know either till I checked around and was told to put them in with the head underneath and excess threads to the top. No instructions from Pedders with the kit.
Yeah....I didn't think to ask that stuff before the install and then once I started the install I just took my best guess. 50/50 chance and I guessed wrong.

I'm going to leave them like they are for now. If they seem to cause any issue or if I have clearance issues again I'll flip them.

So, lesson here is to install the drop links correctly in the first place.
Build Journal
Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
Sleepy

Drives: 2011 LS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Respect to those that try to mod on their own, more to those that post to help others do the same, and most to those that post the secret tricks and things not to do.
Much appreciated.

Share the knowledge-its all good.

Tim
+1
Looking on the bright side, cutting the extra threads off is one way to reduce unsprung weight.

Last edited by Sleepy; 01-11-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Great write up! Sorry about your wheels brotha :/
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote