Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
Rolfomatic

Drives: 2013 1LE
1LE Tire Questions

Did a test drive on a 2013 2SS 1LE today all stock, 8000 miles, original tires. I have no experience with performance tires and have a few questions:

How many miles do tires you get out of the original stock tires on a conservatively driven vehicle?

Can the original tires be driven in the rain safely, if necessary?
Rolfomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Results and opinions will vary. If you wear them down to the minimums, you can probably get 15-20K out of them, maybe more. I've gotten 14K out of my first set, but have seen more track days out of the second set, so I think about 8-10 K will be more likely.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I average 9k on the F1s. And they can be driven in the rain quite well actually just don't expect a ton of straight line grip or near the dry performance level. But they are not the hydroplaning death traps some make them out to be as long as you drive reasonably

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
I average 9k on the F1s. And they can be driven in the rain quite well actually just don't expect a ton of straight line grip or near the dry performance level. But they are not the hydroplaning death traps some make them out to be as long as you drive reasonably

We are getting a good bit more mileage out of the tires, primarily due to our location in coastal Georgia where a curve to play on is hard to find, but I am in 100% agreement regarding the F1's rain performance. Are they the same in a downpour as they are on an 80 degree sunny summer day? Nope, but neither is any other tire. Is the performance drop off more drastic than other tires in the wet? Maybe, but as you said, they are not the hydroplaning death traps that many make them out to be!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have to disagree about the hydroplaning performance. I have had multiple instances on the highway were I have been at the mercy of the rain. These things act like skis in a downpour.
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Gotta disagree on the rain performance. Should have added the comment to my first response, but I've driven on them during our summer monsoon rains, and never had an issue. That said, like others have mentioned, if you drive aggressively in the rain, you're asking for trouble. They are an excellent all around tire, and just need time and temp to get up to full performance.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Gotta disagree on the rain performance. Should have added the comment to my first response, but I've driven on them during our summer monsoon rains, and never had an issue. That said, like others have mentioned, if you drive aggressively in the rain, you're asking for trouble. They are an excellent all around tire, and just need time and temp to get up to full performance.
Straight line highway driving is not aggressive. I DD my car and am frequently told I don't deserve it because I don't "push it". These tires are not meant for heavy rain. Telling this person otherwise is simply a lie. Go to tire rack or any other site and look at the hundreds of reviews and user ratings. They have some of the worst ratings for wet pavement driving.
You must be one of those people who drive 30mph under the speed limit in the fast lane with your blinkers on during a rain storm
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKiss45 View Post
Straight line highway driving is not aggressive.
It is when it is done at 80 mph! I'm not saying that you are doing that, and yes, there are conventional, non-performance rated tires that almost make that seem possible, but these, and other wider, shallower tread depth tires are not that way. I can say that in heavy rains on these tires, though I have slowed down from what I would be doing in dry conditions, I still am very comfortable moving at the speed of traffic, and often wish they would speed up a bit. To each there own, and its all based on where the driver is comfortable and his give skill set. OP will have to find out for himself, but they are not as bad in my opinion as the wrap they get. You obviously feel different.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Antbox530

Pilot supersports are great in the rain, just saying.
C & D did a test and the PSS got second in dry and wet autocross.
Antbox530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Rolfomatic

This is all good feedback. I'm wondering if I should eventually switch to a more all-season and/or have a different set of tires for track use. I've never done a track event yet so not even sure if I will want to do that frequently enough to make sense.

Can I do novice level track activities with a "regular driving" set of tires?

Or it sounds like there may be some good -in between options that I should check out?
Rolfomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #11
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Also, consider your ambient temperature. My first hand experience with F1 G2's at that they really suck unless it's at least 60* and sunny. April/May and Sept/Oct in our geographical region become very marginal for traction with such a temperature sensitive tire. F1 G2's just don't like the cold, at all. I was shocked the first time I drove these on a cool evening - my buddies '15 1LE was blowing the tires off rolling on in second gear like it was an 800whp monster, not a bolt on LS3. My car, on crappy Chinesium garbage, was hooking just fine. Dyno'd within 3whp of each other, it was definitely the tires.

Same thing now with my buddies ZL1 - you can forget getting that car to hook unless it's warm and sunny. We got to play around on Watkins Glen this past weekend and it was finally warm and sunny - first time the car has been able to hook first gear at all.

So, with 8k miles on the original tires, you probably don't have much life left in them. When it's time to replace them you may want to think about an aggressive all-season to extend your season into the cooler, but perfectly drive-able months.

The aforementioned 1LE went to a staggered 275/40/20-315/35/20 setup on Nitto 555 G2's and I can say with first hand knowledge they REALLY hook up nicely. On a hot racetrack, properly warmed up, I'm sure the F1 G2 has a traction advantage - but if you're primarily just driving the car around on the streets, consider other options.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfomatic View Post
Can I do novice level track activities with a "regular driving" set of tires?
I drag-race regularly, and play around on Watkins Glen a couple times a year with crappy Delinte D8 Desert Storm all seasons - and they work just fine. On the road course they are actually a lot of fun, because the limits are a little lower, and the break-away is really progressive, so you can get out on the edge easier and with more forgiveness when you step over. When you overdrive one of those track tires its a little more sudden, and at a higher threshold - a much scarier combination.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

We're pretty close to one another - if you pick up the car we should connect, grab a bite to eat, and maybe introduce you to some of the guys in the area. Even if you don't grab the car, but are still looking, you could come see some of the club guy's cars to refine what you're looking for in a Camaro. Shoot me a PM some time.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKiss45 View Post
Straight line highway driving is not aggressive. I DD my car and am frequently told I don't deserve it because I don't "push it". These tires are not meant for heavy rain. Telling this person otherwise is simply a lie. Go to tire rack or any other site and look at the hundreds of reviews and user ratings. They have some of the worst ratings for wet pavement driving.
You must be one of those people who drive 30mph under the speed limit in the fast lane with your blinkers on during a rain storm
I DD my car and have driven 70mph in rain the dropped 3" in 1.5 hours and didn't hydroplane. I have also driven aggressively on back roads that were damp at 36 degrees and only had them step out once. But then again the roads around my area are fairly nice and do tend to shed water quite well. So maybe it's your roads that are poor and hold water and not the tires fault.

Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote