Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #29
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Yes, I have a Cold Air Inductions, Inc. CAI. I put it on a week before I put the Solo cats on.

I could give it a shot, sure. The only other thing I can think of...my rear O2's may have gotten switched in the install. As in the driver's side rear O2 is in the passenger's side rear O2 bung and vice versa. But I thought the part numbers were the same and it wouldn't matter, so I didn't keep track. All I did was make absolute sure the front's are up front and the rear's are in the rear. Think this could be a problem?
The thread i read had some good info...the maf gets all kinds of info...i just find it hard to believe you cant solve the problem with solo. This makes me wonder if its something else...and it does make more sense with you adding the cai intake before your solos.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #30
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
ChocoTaco, this must be extremely frustrating. I have no idea except that I have a CAI, Vmax tb, and scoop with Solo high flows. I never had a CEL prior to my short tube install with ~3k miles. I even had a slight exhaust leak on the left side at the manifold/cat connection and still never threw a code. Then I added some ARH shorties and about 400 miles later the car threw it's first CEL. P0430. Cleared about 3-400 miles ago and no CEL's again. Just mentioning this as I have the same year with a CAI and Solos. I hope you can find a solution. I have been avoiding a tune, but, if CEL's continue I will probably just get a tune and flip the coin on the PT warranty. Good Luck.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #31
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The thread i read had some good info...the maf gets all kinds of info...i just find it hard to believe you cant solve the problem with solo. This makes me wonder if its something else...and it does make more sense with you adding the cai intake before your solos.
Do you have a link to the thread that references the MAF issue? I have MAF sensor cleaner, so I'll give it a shot.
Quote:
also any soot anywhere on the exhaust is a leak...hope it helps
Problem is this part of the clamp is sort of attached to the H-pipe connection from the factory. The part that I can actually influence - the Solo midpipes going into the clamp - is pristine.

It just blows my mind that whether there are extensions there or not, each code throws within a mile or two of each other at the same mileage. It makes me think it is a problem elsewhere, too. It is too much of a coincidence, especially since the first 175 miles with the cats on I had no CEL and it's been a 15-20 mile code throw ever since. So weird...and frustrating. Maybe the CAI filter is over-oiled, but it's wild that the MAF would influence throwing a cat inefficiency code. I'm going to pull my MAF sensor now and do the cleaning.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #32
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
ChocoTaco, this must be extremely frustrating. I have no idea except that I have a CAI, Vmax tb, and scoop with Solo high flows. I never had a CEL prior to my short tube install with ~3k miles. I even had a slight exhaust leak on the left side at the manifold/cat connection and still never threw a code. Then I added some ARH shorties and about 400 miles later the car threw it's first CEL. P0430. Cleared about 3-400 miles ago and no CEL's again. Just mentioning this as I have the same year with a CAI and Solos. I hope you can find a solution. I have been avoiding a tune, but, if CEL's continue I will probably just get a tune and flip the coin on the PT warranty. Good Luck.
Thanks for the info. This makes me quite jealous of you. Yes, the only point of the Solo's were to avoid the tune and maintain the warranty. If I wanted a tune, I'd get LT headers. If I could just get the CEL to go away it would be the perfect compromise.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #33
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

A very interesting development - I took out my MAF sensor and blew it out over and over with MAF sensor cleaner and let it dry. I reinstalled it, put it back in and went to go clear the P0420/P0430 codes like normal.

This time there was an extra code: "P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input."

I've never seen that before, so maybe there is another problem here. I'm starting to become a believer that this is a problem with CAI's cold air intake. Maybe they really did over-oil the filter and it has dirtied up my MAF. We will see if anything comes back this week now that I cleaned the MAF.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #34
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
A very interesting development - I took out my MAF sensor and blew it out over and over with MAF sensor cleaner and let it dry. I reinstalled it, put it back in and went to go clear the P0420/P0430 codes like normal.

This time there was an extra code: "P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input."

I've never seen that before, so maybe there is another problem here. I'm starting to become a believer that this is a problem with CAI's cold air intake. Maybe they really did over-oil the filter and it has dirtied up my MAF. We will see if anything comes back this week now that I cleaned the MAF.
You have to be careful with the MAF sensor. I remember one day a guy who complained about a CEL after installing his CAI and then he mentioned that he left the MAF sensor on a barrel and the surface was full of oil so it got contaminated !!

Since then I remove the MAF sensor first from the stock intake and install it directly in the after market intake to keep it away from dirt.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
You have to be careful with the MAF sensor. I remember one day a guy who complained about a CEL after installing his CAI and then he mentioned that he left the MAF sensor on a barrel and the surface was full of oil so it got contaminated !!

Since then I remove the MAF sensor first from the stock intake and install it directly in the after market intake to keep it away from dirt.
I was extremely careful with the MAF. I'm well aware of how important it is, if there is any issue it's because CAI over-oiled their filter.

I drove 35 miles this morning and no CEL. The O2 extensions are NOT installed - the rear O2's are still directly installed in the cats. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #36
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
I was extremely careful with the MAF. I'm well aware of how important it is, if there is any issue it's because CAI over-oiled their filter.

I drove 35 miles this morning and no CEL. The O2 extensions are NOT installed - the rear O2's are still directly installed in the cats. I will keep everyone posted.
Well CAI is one of the top intake brands and it has a very good reputation in this forum. I used their intake in my previous V6 for almost 4 years with no issues and bought another one for my new SS.

I cant understand how this happened to you .

However, if you search the forum you will find many Solo customers complaining from CEL caused after installing hi flow cats !!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #37
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Sure you have been over this but I will ask anyway, do you have a strong MAF sensor?
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #38
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well CAI is one of the top intake brands and it has a very good reputation in this forum. I used their intake in my previous V6 for almost 4 years with no issues and bought another one for my new SS.

However, if you search the forum you will find many Solo customers complaining from CEL caused after installing hi flow cats !!
Most of those people have trouble because of something they did wrong on the install. I recently had to replace my passenger side cat. It developed a rattle and was replace with no questions asked by the solo installer. It didnt develope a cel. So im thinking there is more wrong here.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #39
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Most of those people have trouble because of something they did wrong on the install. I recently had to replace my passenger side cat. It developed a rattle and was replace with no questions asked by the solo installer. It didnt develope a cel. So im thinking there is more wrong here.
I fully agree with you. It is very hard to relate hi flow cats CEL with CAI.inc !!

I'm among 100s of members who own CAI so why we dont have the CEL if the filter was over oiled ??!!

On the other hand, you will have members with different intakes or even without who complained about hi flow cats CEL !
Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #40
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
I fully agree with you. It is very hard to relate hi flow cats CEL with CAI.inc !!

I'm among 100s of members who own CAI so why we dont have the CEL if the filter was over oiled ??!!

On the other hand, you will have members with different intakes or even without who complained about hi flow cats CEL !
It does seem weird ..i dont think its the CAI. I think maybe the maf is causing him trouble...my setup has zero trouble. The problem is with these cars...anything out of spec ...just a bit can cause an issue. Even when the 1 cat went bad...it still didnt trip a cel.......i think im throwing in the towel on this one.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #41
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:

It is completely plausible that a freshly oiled filter could get a little on your MAF. The CAI was installed right before the Solo's and the codes did not originally throw for 175 miles and 194 miles, driver's side and passenger's side respectively. Now they throw simultaneously like clockwork, so MAF contamination from the CAI makes sense in my mind. I've been sick for 3 days so I haven't driven the car since Monday, but I drove it over 30 miles on Monday and it didn't throw any codes since the MAF cleaning.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #42
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Sure you have been over this but I will ask anyway, do you have a strong MAF sensor?
Strong. K14.