Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Who wins this battle?
Kenne Bell 56 50.91%
Whipple 45 40.91%
Other Twin Screw company - Post who 9 8.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
thalilbear02

Drives: Searching for 6th Gen 1LE
Kenne Bell Vs. Whipple Who Wins?

Mostly this thread is in response to the thread that was created earlier in regards to the newly anticipated KB Twin screw kits which you can read about here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1392831

Since that thread has turned into more of a battle between who is best and not specifically towards the thread title the OP wanted (which was about Kenne Bell directly), I wanted to make this thread to see what members think about each kit, and what they prefer.

Obviously I wont be able to stop vendors coming in such as the ones that were directly involved in the other thread, so feel free to chime in as well. I want to get to the bottom of these two kits as I have had previous vehicles with the Kenne Bell twin screw (on a Mustang GT - which I still have), as well as a Whipple charger I had on my Tahoe (sold not too long ago).

So with all that in mind, lets have it.

**EDIT** and just for kicks, I added a poll to see what the members think they should go with
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
HAHA..

Ohh, I dont want to get into a pissing match. I think both will be fun kits for the consumer. Hell, I wouldnt mind instaling both of them at our shop..

But i think for the money spent, its no comparrison.. KB all the way...

I will say though, that untl these kits are formally released, the poll will go to Maggie. Only bcause there is already a ton of kits on the market. The popularity contest will surely go to them. Rightfully so, being the fact that they have been running on the Camaro for a while now.
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Geneus

Drives: 2003 Z06
Was your KB application on your Mustang an aftermarket addition? What other mods did you have? What kind of rwhp/rwtq numbers did you make and on what type of dyno? Did you take it to the drag strip with appropriate tires and see what it would run?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Geneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
camaro692

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, G8 GT, HD FLHRX
Way too early for a poll on this. Wait til some of both have been installed. Im gunna say customer service whipple wins HANDS DOWN.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
thalilbear02

Drives: Searching for 6th Gen 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
Was your KB application on your Mustang an aftermarket addition? What other mods did you have? What kind of rwhp/rwtq numbers did you make and on what type of dyno? Did you take it to the drag strip with appropriate tires and see what it would run?

Unfortunately I don't have the dyno sheet on me to post up because the last time I dynoed the car it was a while back, but it made about 360rwhp and 370ftlbs of torque at the wheels. I just have the KB 2.1L kit running with Flowmaster mufflers so I thought it was pretty decent.

Unfortunately I'm not as much of a drag strip guy as I should be, so I haven't taken it to the 1/4 mile yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro692 View Post
Way too early for a poll on this. Wait til some of both have been installed. Im gunna say customer service whipple wins HANDS DOWN.
Good call... I guess until you're 100% set, then yes, don't vote, but I would like to hear what most customers as well as forum members have to say too.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Total_Perf_Eng

Really??? Cause I called Whipple for almost a month when I was wanting to buy a head unit, and never once had them get back to me. I kept talking to some guy named Mike, but he was about as helpfull as a rock. I was the one constantly calling him. I finally gave up, and went to Kenne bell. Not saying that has anything to do with Whipple as a whole, but when I was a customer, I didnt get any customer service whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro692 View Post
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Total_Perf_Eng

FWIW, Rodney at RPM Transmissions bought a KB for his GT500 from me last year, and I believe he layed down somewhere in the neighborod of 810rwhp. I sent him a few different pullies though. I think he runs it in the neighborhood of 750rwhp.

At the time, his car was bone stock, with 3.73's installed. But I think he has upgraded it since then.
Quote:

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Geneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalilbear02 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the dyno sheet on me to post up because the last time I dynoed the car it was a while back, but it made about 360rwhp and 370ftlbs of torque at the wheels. I just have the KB 2.1L kit running with Flowmaster mufflers so I thought it was pretty decent.

Unfortunately I'm not as much of a drag strip guy as I should be, so I haven't taken it to the 1/4 mile yet :(
Fair enough...not everyone is into drag racing, though under the right conditions your mph can be an index of the power you are making...and of course ET is really dependent on the driver and how the car hooks up.

I'm not one who has to see a dyno sheet...your numbers sound right if you weren't running a lot of boost, did not put a blower specific cam in, and didn't have a set of good tubular headers to allow the motor to breathe out.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Geneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
FWIW, Rodney at RPM Transmissions bought a KB for his GT500 from me last year, and I believe he layed down somewhere in the neighborod of 810rwhp. I sent him a few different pullies though. I think he runs it in the neighborhood of 750rwhp.

At the time, his car was bone stock, with 3.73's installed. But I think he has upgraded it since then.
Wow...impressive. Stock bottom end or forged? Did Rodney ever run it at the drag strip?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Wow...impressive. Stock bottom end or forged? Did Rodney ever run it at the drag strip?
The Stock bottom end is forged on the Shelby. 800RwHp is safe on the GT500's stock block.
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
Geneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
The Stock bottom end is forged on the Shelby. 800RwHp is safe on the GT500's stock block.
Thanks...I'm sure the boost is signifcantly higher on that car/motor (Rodney from RPM) than most here would be running on their stock bottom end LS3's. I just want people to have clarity about their expectations of just what can realistically (and, of course safely) be made on a Camaro application.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
Total_Perf_Eng

I figured since you asked specifically about the gentlemans Mustang, and its power level, that you would care. It seems you only wanted to know about HIS Mustang, and not about one that is laying down over 800rwhp.

Quote:
Thanks...I'm sure the boost is signifcantly higher on that car/motor (Rodney from RPM) than most here would be running on their stock bottom end LS3's. I just want people to have clarity about their expectations of just what can realistically (and, of course safely) be made on a Camaro application.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Total_Perf_Eng

I believe he ran it at his track rental. I think.. Im not sure. You know him though. You can ask him.
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
Geneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
I believe he ran it at his track rental. I think.. Im not sure. You know him though. You can ask him.
I don't know him personally other than I'm running one of his transmissions in my Z06. But I can certainly find out.