Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #253
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
Jim,
Enjoyed the rocket pix you posted! I have privilege of seeing Space Shuttle Endeavor night-launch back in 95'.

BTW, got my new car today! Not a Camaro, my first choice, but got a great deal on a 10' Challenger SE in ABM-like blue. Price was right, a big thing right now....not quite a Camaro, but def better than driving that boring Impala I had.

Wanna Race? Ok, bad idea, you'd blow my doors off

HA!!! The Challenger is a fine automobile. If I had to do it over again I probably would have gotten an automatic trans as opposed to the 6 speed manual only because of all the things I am hearing and "feeling" in my trans. I will bet the trans fails within the warranty period but it isn't somethign I want to happen. In the meantime, I will drive the car and try and take more awesome launch photos. I didn't take the attached photo below but someone did at the last launch of the Delta Heavy. We have a Minotaur 1 launch on the early morning hours (4:26) of Superbowl Sunday and I am getting up to see it but won't take photos because I am a hundred miles from it at my location but I can still see it! Best of luck with that "Chally" and hope the winter thaw comes soon to "Mini-Sota".

Jim
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #254
dmproske

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS on order
What are you feeling and hearing in your transmission? Our 2ss/ls3 was built about the same time as yours

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
dmproske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #255
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmproske View Post
What are you feeling and hearing in your transmission? Our 2ss/ls3 was built about the same time as yours

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It definately has the "notchiness" which is bearable, but certainly does not make one feel confident in the strength or quality of the trans. I hear what sounds like a noisy main bearing in the front of the transmission where the input shaft comes out. I suspect it has to do with the described SHIMMING issue. I haven't seen an exploded view of the trans so I can only assume it has a bearing at the location I am describing and if the input shaft isn't shimmed then there will be play and noise. If not it is one heck of a noisy and loose trans. When I shift there is a tendancy of the trans to simply grind at any given speed or RPM, and the clutch pedal is not firm (such as in a mechanical clutch sans hydraulics).

I have driven many old Chevy's and Fords with stick (that is what I learned on). There is absolutely NO comparison to this transmission and that of the old school clutchs with mechanical linkage such as a M21 or M22 Muncie or Ford T10 toploader.

The transmission FEELS strong but the linkage and noise is intimidating because I don't want to jump on it in fear the thing will scatter in pieces or smoke the clutch due to the sloppy clutch pedal pressure.

Just simply backing into my driveway under very conservative low speed/rpm/torque I have smelled clutch odor and I drive a stick everyday...IT ISNT ME!

It is a weak clutch system tied into the brake reservoir! I shouldnt have to put in aftermarket parts to fix a STOCK car!!! My car has 2200 miles on it and the trans feels and sounds like it has 50,000 on it of hard driving!!! I have NEVER done a burnout in the car or raced it. I have gotten on the freeway onramp rather hard just to see if the clutch would slip. It did not. The notchiness is felt in 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear.

In the old days guys would put sawdust and oil into a transmission to quiet it up and make it feel better even though it really didnt help. But that is what this trans feels like it needs to make its tolerances a bit tighter and crisper. If the Tremec builders really did put the synchros in backwards as has been reported, then SHAME on them and Chevrolet for not getting to the bottom of this and FIXING it post haste. The Camaro is helping Chevrolet get back on its feet. It would be terrible to see a transmission issue like this tear Chevy down. Especially if they know about it and are not talking. As they say...Get Er Done!!!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #256
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post

HA!!! The Challenger is a fine automobile. If I had to do it over again I probably would have gotten an automatic trans as opposed to the 6 speed manual only because of all the things I am hearing and "feeling" in my trans. I will bet the trans fails within the warranty period but it isn't somethign I want to happen. In the meantime, I will drive the car and try and take more awesome launch photos. I didn't take the attached photo below but someone did at the last launch of the Delta Heavy. We have a Minotaur 1 launch on the early morning hours (4:26) of Superbowl Sunday and I am getting up to see it but won't take photos because I am a hundred miles from it at my location but I can still see it! Best of luck with that "Chally" and hope the winter thaw comes soon to "Mini-Sota".

Jim
Thanks Jim! Yep, hoping for an early spring here, for sure! Not the best time to buy a new car here....roads are filthy, and salt everywhere. But I feared the Impala was about to really give me problems, so decided to unload it before facing major repair bills.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your trans. Hopefully after some more break-in period, it'll improve, or GM will come out with a solution. I don't blame you for wanting the manual, particularly if its not your daily-driver...Nothing like shifting gears with all that power. True muscle cars have sticks, right?

(funny, I had a 78' Type LT Camaro with weak inline 6, but it had 3-on-the-floor with Hurst T-Handle..lol)

Did you ever get into the Estes Rocket hobby? After seeing the movie, "October Skies" a friend and I bought one that had a built in camera.....and immediately wrecked it after the chute failed and it hit aspalt

Hope the transmission issues get resolved for you soon!
DerbyChamp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #257
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
Thanks Jim! Yep, hoping for an early spring here, for sure! Not the best time to buy a new car here....roads are filthy, and salt everywhere. But I feared the Impala was about to really give me problems, so decided to unload it before facing major repair bills.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your trans. Hopefully after some more break-in period, it'll improve, or GM will come out with a solution. I don't blame you for wanting the manual, particularly if its not your daily-driver...Nothing like shifting gears with all that power. True muscle cars have sticks, right?

(funny, I had a 78' Type LT Camaro with weak inline 6, but it had 3-on-the-floor with Hurst T-Handle..lol)

Did you ever get into the Estes Rocket hobby? After seeing the movie, "October Skies" a friend and I bought one that had a built in camera.....and immediately wrecked it after the chute failed and it hit aspalt

Hope the transmission issues get resolved for you soon!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the transmission. My gut feeling is the trans needs some serious intervention to make it really correct. It just doesn't feel the way a transmission backed up to 426 horses should feel. Rule of thumb for car design is making all the driveline pieces relatively bulletproof to the maximum horsepower and torque delivered by the blueprinted engine. I have patience so I will be watching and talking until they make things right.

As for Estes Rockets... heck yeah! In 1970 we started messing with Estes Rockets in High School. One of the most painful but funny things that ever happened when I was in school was one of my buddies put an Estes "D" motor on a stand without a rocket and he hooked up the electronic igniter while I was positioning it and he hit the launch switch as I was holding it (dumb ass!) and I got my fingers fried as the rocket launched sideways and went ape all over his backyard!!! LOL Almost burned down his backyard! HA HA Life was good back then. T-minus 10-9-8... fire in the hole. DOH!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #258
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127569

SOPHIE CRUISE! HELP SAVE SOPHIE!
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #259
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Exclamation "SOPHIE RUN" A HUGE SUCCESS!

Tonight was an incredible first experience for Orange Krate and the family as we joined other So Cal Camaro Family members and helped out a really fragile young girl in need. Please read the link to follow the story. This is one of those heart wrenching stories that makes you realize how well off you have it! This poor little angel is our next door neighbor. Tonight wasn't the final chapter of the story but it was a good chapter with a happy ending.

Thanks to all the nice gents who brought out there Camaros on a nasty windy cold evening! You guys are great.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #260
DerbyChamp06

Quote:
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the transmission. My gut feeling is the trans needs some serious intervention to make it really correct. It just doesn't feel the way a transmission backed up to 426 horses should feel. Rule of thumb for car design is making all the driveline pieces relatively bulletproof to the maximum horsepower and torque delivered by the blueprinted engine. I have patience so I will be watching and talking until they make things right.

As for Estes Rockets... heck yeah! In 1970 we started messing with Estes Rockets in High School. One of the most painful but funny things that ever happened when I was in school was one of my buddies put an Estes "D" motor on a stand without a rocket and he hooked up the electronic igniter while I was positioning it and he hit the launch switch as I was holding it (dumb ass!) and I got my fingers fried as the rocket launched sideways and went ape all over his backyard!!! LOL Almost burned down his backyard! HA HA Life was good back then. T-minus 10-9-8... fire in the hole. DOH!!!
Over-engineered is always preferrable, isn't it? I knew a guy that was a big Porsche 928 fan, and said it was the most over-engineered sportscar ever made....bulletproof. Too bad GM hasn't stepped up in this regard. I suppose there are after-market solutions, but you shouldn't have to spend more for something that should be right from the get-go.

Too funny about your Estes Escapade....I can just see it now
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #261
DerbyChamp06

Quote:
Tonight was an incredible first experience for Orange Krate and the family as we joined other So Cal Camaro Family members and helped out a really fragile young girl in need. Please read the link to follow the story. This is one of those heart wrenching stories that makes you realize how well off you have it! This poor little angel is our next door neighbor. Tonight wasn't the final chapter of the story but it was a good chapter with a happy ending.

Thanks to all the nice gents who brought out there Camaros on a nasty windy cold evening! You guys are great.

Prayers for this young child!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #262
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Friends...

We all have (or should) have friends. But, I hope all of you have at least one friend like I do. I met him quite simply by going to a local Wienerschnitzel! He has worked there for many years as a manager. His name is Nestor. He runs a number one operation and for a fast food joint it is impeccably clean and efficient. I tell him all the time he should own his own business but working at that job probably doesn't give him the kind of investment capital he would need to open his own place. His employees love him as do his customers. I have adopted him as my best friend, little brother and friend to the masses. He is extremely charitable and I wish I could do more for him. He asks nothing of no one other than for his employees to work hard and provide great service. I kid him about my IOM Camaro being the official car of Wienerschnitzel because it shares similar color themes. Today I parked Orange Krate in front of his sign and snapped off a photo. He asked me if I was going to put it on my blog and I said yes. So... Cheers to you Nestor and may you find that pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow!
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #263
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Exclamation Litho #182 - "SUPER 60" SURPRISE FROM OSHAWA!

OK I am going to have a tough time typing this one out because I am still in shock after my arrival at home this evening. The last couple of days at work have been somewhat stressful. I won't go into the details but lets just say it has been tough. So, today when I arrive home there is nobody here and it is so quiet you can hear a pin drop.

I walk into the kitchen and see a large manilla colored merchandise mailer on the counter and I am thinking to myself..."what did the wife buy"? Then it donned on me that I bought some Camaro5.Com window stickers. But I figured that wasnt it because the package was too large.

I walk over and pick up the envelope and read it. I see it is addressed to me. I notice it has special shipping instructions and a postmark from Canada. Whitby, Canada to be precise. I am scratching my head trying to remember someone in Whitby... then I notice a familiar name... "M. Judge" on the return address.

I have exchanged some PMs with Mr. Mike Judge (aka Super 60) on this site. From those I realized what a neat guy he is. For those that don't know him, he is a supervisor at the Oshawa production facility. That really makes this package even more intriquing.

I feel myself starting to get sweaty palms. I gingerly open the package and look in to find one of the now famous 11" x 14" hand signed (by the crew that built Orange Krate and all his relatives!) and individually numbered (#182) lithographs that Mike has become known for giving to selected Camaro5 members. I was absolutely stunned to receive this. And it couldn't have come at a better time.

I became a bit flushed and teary eyed (I thought I was macho...don't tell anyone!!!) as this is one of the nicest treasures I have ever received. I just stood there staring and saying... "YES" "YES" "YES". I couldn't wait for Erica to come home and show her. Accompanying the lithograph were two short but very meaningful documents. One explains the litho and the other a personal note from Mr. Mike Judge.

Mike, I can't say thank you enough for this wonderful surprise and gift. I cherish this very much and needless to say it shall be maintained along with Orange Krate as long as I am on this planet. This is a true treasure and I am honored to receive it.

Along with Mike, the men and women of Oshawa who work so hard building these superb vehicles really put their heart and souls into these cars and you can feel that every time you turn over the ignition and hear these babies roar to life.

As soon as I can get to the store I will be buying an appropriate frame and hanging these in a most conspicuous place in my office... I mean after all the lithograph photo is of an IOM Camaro and that is the BEST color right? LOL

Thanks again Oshawa Crew and thanks again Mr. Mike Judge! You are without a doubt one fine gentleman, and please know many of us at this site, and in the Camaro family as a whole, really appreciate all you do for all of us.

PS - The framed documents are duplicates. The originals are in a secure place. I am going to have these custom framed soon but wanted to get them hanging ASAP.
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Orange Krate; 02-26-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #264
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

**Delete - Factory Air Filter**

I installed a K&N Air Filter today after I drove Orange Krate to work. I can't wait to see if there is any noticeable improvement in MPG and torque.

Late last night I was notified that 4 of our LA area firefighters were seriously injured in a huge house fire in the Hollywood Hills. One firefighter is fighting for his life. The incident reminded me once again that life is too short and we should take advantage of each day we are given, so I took advantage of a nice day and drove Orange Krate for that 120 mile round trip to work. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all our firefighters and their families during this critical time.

I spent the day with colleagues in a conference so it was nice to climb back in Orange Krate for a comfortable ride home with great tunes! Storm coming in tonight that will last a couple of days and drop perhaps up to 6 inches of rain. I am pulling my 5th wheel out of town tomorrow because my fantastic spouse wants to go camping in the rain! I have to drive back by myself early though because I work on Saturday so she will have the kids and dogs.

I am still in a cloud over receiving the lithograph yesterday and when I shared the story with a few close friends who are car buffs they were absolutely blown away. Good deeds do not go unrewarded so Mr. Mike Judge is overdue!
Attached Images

Last edited by Orange Krate; 02-25-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #265
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Jim

Your very welcome for the Litho Best Regards from Canada and enjoy the ride .

Mike Judge
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #266
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

***CAMARO5.COM be Proud, be Counted!***

Today I went out to lunch in Santa Fe Springs, CA, at a nearby Chinese Restaurant. This was in the Heritage Park complex. As I am walking across the parking lot I see a brand spanking new 2011 SS/RS Black with IOM stripes come rolling in the parking lot. It has the paper plates on and sweet as can be. I couldn't help but stand up and introduce myself to the owner as he walked into the restaurant. Since I don't commute in my car I could only show him my Orange Krate cell phone photo. But the first thing I did was introduce him to the Camaro5.com website and told him to look me up and come make some friends. Unfortunately I didn't catch his name but I did tell him to look for Orange Krate and he would have a new connection. I hope he is reading this and leaves a message here with a new screen name.

I believe in karma. I also believe that by being a positive promoter of this website and our Gen 5 Camaros we will continue to grow friendships and a knowledge base about the car that is second to none. Last night my Camaro5.com decals arrived and the first thing I did was go to the garage and apply the rear window decal to Orange Krate and make him even more friendly! Make a friend, introduce yourself to other Camaro owners!

PS - Special thanks to Dana at the Camaro5 store for the quick turn around of the decals. I love the quality.
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA