Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
DEFINITIVE way to lower seat? What seat/bracket?

Hey C5'ers,

I've searched/read/searched/read all the threads I could find, and I hate to say what has been said many times... But, I'm 6'3, have a sunroof, and I need more headroom; I'm tired of my hair touching the headliner on a day-to-day basis, but I especially hate having to hold my head at an almost 45 degree angle on the nearest road course (it's not safe!). I don't feel comfortable driving reclined like a rapper and, please, spare me the "shouldn't have gotten a sunroof" comments.

My searches keep turning up comments amount racing seats/brackets being lower, but I've seen no definitive combination of the two that leads to a lower seat. Can someone please tell me what has worked for them for gaining a few inches of headroom? I would be MUCH appreciative.

Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
ExCrystal

Drives: 2017 2SS NGM
Hey! I feel your struggle.

I'm 6'4" with poofy hair. I just recline the seat back - maybe try that? If your seat is up too far, that may be the issue - move it back and recline? Dunno lol.
I have a sunroof, too, and I usually have no problems.
ExCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
lol here i am with the 2010 SS trying to find a way to RAISE the passenger seat without replacing the whole thing
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Hey C5'ers,

I've searched/read/searched/read all the threads I could find, and I hate to say what has been said many times... But, I'm 6'3, have a sunroof, and I need more headroom; I'm tired of my hair touching the headliner on a day-to-day basis, but I especially hate having to hold my head at an almost 45 degree angle on the nearest road course (it's not safe!). I don't feel comfortable driving reclined like a rapper and, please, spare me the "shouldn't have gotten a sunroof" comments.

My searches keep turning up comments amount racing seats/brackets being lower, but I've seen no definitive combination of the two that leads to a lower seat. Can someone please tell me what has worked for them for gaining a few inches of headroom? I would be MUCH appreciative.

Thanks!
I honestly think that the majority of the reason for the seat height of the driver's seat is due to the motor. I doubt you're going to find a way to lower the seat as it is. My recommendation to you, and I personally wouldn't have the ingenuity to attempt this, would be to find a manual passenger seat and retro fit it to the driver's side somehow. Or find a way to swap it's frame onto the driver's seat thus deleting the motor. Before you do that, if you want to see if it will work for you, I'd recommend sitting in the passenger seat to see how tall you sit in it.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post
I honestly think that the majority of the reason for the seat height of the driver's seat is due to the motor. I doubt you're going to find a way to lower the seat as it is. My recommendation to you, and I personally wouldn't have the ingenuity to attempt this, would be to find a manual passenger seat and retro fit it to the driver's side somehow. Or find a way to swap it's frame onto the driver's seat thus deleting the motor. Before you do that, if you want to see if it will work for you, I'd recommend sitting in the passenger seat to see how tall you sit in it.
I don't thing switching the seats would work since I believe the seats may have side air bags built into them? and that would put the side air bags on the wrong side of the seat.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I don't thing switching the seats would work since I believe the seats may have side air bags built into them? and that would put the side air bags on the wrong side of the seat.
You're right about that. Maybe if there was a way to change just the bottom of the driver seat out for the manual passenger seat bottom or frame.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
Not sure if this will help, but you might try here:

http://www.carid.com/2013-chevy-camaro-racing-seats/
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
What about a non-power front seat from a 1LS or 2LS?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Does anyone test drive cars anymore? Did some of you have growth spurts since then? Car didn't shrink after you bought it!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Bmatth1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Does anyone test drive cars anymore? Did some of you have growth spurts since then? Car didn't shrink after you bought it!
Yes, we did test drive our cars. Did you test drive your car with your racing helmet on?? That's the issue here. My hair touching the roof is merely just an annoyance. I applaud you for this new, unhelpful comment though; the other threads mainly had unhelpful comments about the sunroof.

To the others... these are some great ideas. I guess I'm most interested in a racing seat and bracket at this point, but has anyone installed/does anyone know which racing seat will actually sit lower than the stock seat? And by how much?

Thanks again!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Old 03-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
I'm in touch with a tech rep at CarID. She wants to know the height from the floor to the seat cushion and the thickness of the stock cushion in order to get an idea if it's lower and by how much. I'm won't be able to get that info until tomorrow but I'll post what she says. I know at least one of the seats looks like it's definitely got a thinner cushion....just not sure about the bracket.
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
Bmatth1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstnt View Post
I'm in touch with a tech rep at CarID. She wants to know the height from the floor to the seat cushion and the thickness of the stock cushion in order to get an idea if it's lower and by how much. I'm won't be able to get that info until tomorrow but I'll post what she says. I know at least one of the seats looks like it's definitely got a thinner cushion....just not sure about the bracket.
That would be amazing! Thanks so much. Like I said, I've read all the threads I could find and people recommend getting a vague "racing seat" because it'll be "lower," but I haven't been able to find anyone who's actually accomplished this goal of a lower driver's seat. Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
samasche

Drives: bmw
I'm won't be able to get that info until tomorrow but I'll post what she says.
samasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
Spiller085

Drives: 2010 2SS - LPE 7l 630hp Crate
Non-power seats is not the way to go, they sit higher than it is possible to adjust a electric seat to.

I've just recently spent $1k on getting an electric passenger seat frame to retro-fit a car in Australia that was converted to RHD. The now passenger seat could get down low enough, but the new drivers seat (LHD passenger seat) sat about 2 inches higher.

personally, I now adjust the seat all the way down at the rear, and slightly above the lowest setting at the front, then set the seat back to match - I can get away without touching the roof if I raise the front of the seat a bit as it lets me recline without feeling like I'm trying to go to sleep (I'm 6'3 too).

Swapping Left for right is a big no-no as the airbags are in the seat's and the buckle and seat-belt pre-tensioner mount to the console side of the seat frame.

If you are doing track days and need clearance for a helmet, a race seat will be the best option - it might not be cushioned and you wont have side impact protection but at least you can be sitting as low as possible. Personally I would get a carbon race seat, buy a bracket to fit (or get someone to modify an OEM bracket) for track days, and try to get the OEM seat to work for you on the everyday.
Spiller085 is offline   Reply With Quote