Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #43
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Finally.....I finished my engine cover. Got the vinyl lettering in today and put them on real quick. This was a lot more work than I thought but alot of it was brought on myself for not following instructions. It's not perfect and the pics show the orange peel more than in person but I like the way it came out and would definately do it again. I have about $65 total in it including the vinyl lettering.

BTW: I was able to use the plastic paint plus add the clear on top of it.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #44
Axtion

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Congrats!! Looks Good. $65 is still less than $300+ which it would be to buy one painted.
Axtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #45
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Where you guys getting the Performance decals?

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Bob View Post
Where you guys getting the Performance decals?
camaro_nutz@yahoo.com

She has a store on Ebay (thumperzecalz‏ on Ebay). I asked her to make them for me but I'm sure they'll be in her store soon. Not necessarily cheap but it looks good. $18 shipped.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #47
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
those look awesome, I need to do mine.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #48
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
Nice looking engine covers guys great job.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #49
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Looks awesome Caverman. Great comeback!

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #50
jputer

Drives: 2016 1LT Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'M ABOUT TO PULL MY F@#KING HAIR OUT!!!!!

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing wrong. I can not get this engine cover painted without it cracking!

I'm using the Rustoleum Plastic paint as suggested. The first time I sprayed it came out almost perfect. There were a couple minor spects/dirt in it. So my friend talked me into lightly sanding and re-spraying. I sanded a couple pieces out and let it sit overnight. In the morning I re-sprayed and it did this cracking you see in a couple spots. So, I sanded out most of the cracking and let is sit over night again. Spayed it the next afternoon when it was about 65 outside. I got some cracking again. Re-sanded....waited overnight....resprayed. This time it didn't crack. Waited several hours or so and sprayed some clear over it. On one side it immediately cracked. Other side is fine. I re-sand (can't get all the cracking out but got most of it)....re-spray....all is good. I let it sit overnight and then this morning I let it sit out in the sun for a good 3+ hrs. Bring it in let it cool down for about 30 mins. Re-spray the clear and it freakin starts immediately cracking. I'm done now....I've lost the battle. Have no idea what to do. Guess I should take it to a professional paint shop????? That's going to cost me about $100 just to get it painted. Then I have another $50 worth of vinyl to put on.

BTW: I've been wiping it down with the stuff I use to clean my granite. It's a mix of 70% water, 30% alcohol, and a couple drops of dish soap. I wouldn't think this would cause the problem but maybe it is???

Anyone have any suggestions????

Use some full strength white vinegar to get all of the silicone and wax off of the plastic first.

Make sure your are using a compatible clear. Sounds like you may be putting clear lacquer over enamel paint.

Last edited by jputer; 03-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.
jputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #51
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Looks great guys...I trimmed my center area out so it wouldn't heat soak the intake mani. One thing to pay attention to as you guys add screws is the coil pack wiring under the covers.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #52
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
Looks great guys...I trimmed my center area out so it wouldn't heat soak the intake mani. One thing to pay attention to as you guys add screws is the coil pack wiring under the covers.
I was initially going to cut out my center area and do the screen as well. I had even bought all the material to do it along with some new dremel tool blades. When it came time to do the actual cutting I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I guess I was to scared I would screw it up. That's when I decided to go the route I did with the performance division lettering. I figured that down the road if I wanted I could always cut out the center but I could never put it back. Both ways look really good. I was just to chicken.

As far as the the screws go....I thought about that. I used 8x1/2 screws. They didn't even break through the padding underneath the cover. I rubbed my hand over the padding where they should be and you can't even feel them.

Thanks for the heads up though.

BTW: where are your pics?
Build Journal
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #53
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Is the Blue Moon a recomended tool for the job?

Looks great. Better job than the "pros" did on mine.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #54
SHACKMAN

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT R/S
I don't know if this will help you. When I painted mine I used some stuff called bulldog plastis inhibitor. It is used for painting on plastics. I sprayed it on, let sit for about 30 minutes, and then painted. Mine never peeled away. You might not of got all the oil residue off, and that's why the paint is not sticking. Might give it a try.
SHACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #55
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
A little Blue Moon doesn't hurt :-)

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #56
OctaneSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
camaro_nutz@yahoo.com

She has a store on Ebay (thumperzecalz‏ on Ebay). I asked her to make them for me but I'm sure they'll be in her store soon. Not necessarily cheap but it looks good. $18 shipped.
So did you order the Chevrolet and Performance Division lettering from her? They aren't on there on her website yet, so hopefully she emails me back soon.
OctaneSS is offline   Reply With Quote