Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Exclamation HELP!! Rev limiter kicked in at 4Krpm!

Guys/Girls somethin happened today and I dont know what caused it!

Was launching the car with trac/stab all on launched it at about 2-3k rpm and I think the road was a bit dusty as tires spun a bit more than expected even with traction on. Anyway thats not the point! Traction caused rpm to bog down lower till about 1.5K before properly launching and I was WOT or very close to it, with my eyes on the rpm gague and the rev limiter kicked in at 4K RPM!! It only hit the limiter once then I let go of throttle and got on it again and it continued as normal....

Can someone tell me what happened??? I think this happened before but I wasnt really paying attention to the rpm level so wasnt sure at the time.

FYI M6 LS3 ~1200Miles first incedent @ ~500miles

Any feedback appreciated!

Last edited by AlSuwaidi; 12-20-2009 at 12:46 PM.
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
AlSuwaidi

Bump!

Anyone?!?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
yeah, you are probably engaging launch control. It holds the RPM at ~4000 rpm.

Did you fiddle with the TC button at all?

Launch Control:
In competition mode (two taps of the TC button) the DIC will display "competition mode"
In neutral, hold accelerator on the floor, car will hold ~4000 rpm
Put car in first and quickly lift off the clutch, its in your owners manual.

There are several setting for the TC.

1 tap is TC off but stability control on
2 taps is competition mode which is TC off and stabilitrac at a minimum.
a 7 second hold of the button is everything off.

TC is just straight line traction (burn out)
Stabilitrac is if you lose it in a turn it will back off the throttle automatically.

Hope this helps...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
AlSuwaidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
yeah, you are probably engaging launch control. It holds the RPM at ~4000 rpm.

Did you fiddle with the TC button at all?

Launch Control:
In competition mode (two taps of the TC button) the DIC will display "competition mode"
In neutral, hold accelerator on the floor, car will hold ~4000 rpm
Put car in first and quickly lift off the clutch, its in your owners manual.

There are several setting for the TC.

1 tap is TC off but stability control on
2 taps is competition mode which is TC off and stabilitrac at a minimum.
a 7 second hold of the button is everything off.

TC is just straight line traction (burn out)
Stabilitrac is if you lose it in a turn it will back off the throttle automatically.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the feedback but its not LC. Maybe I didnt make myself clear in the original post but its definately not LC. LC kicks in at 4600 rpm (I have lots of experience with that including a broken driveshaft!) and when you double click the traction button till competitive mode displays on the screen.

This happened when the car was moving. I was accelerating in 1st gear and when rpm hit 4 it just bounced back like when you hit the 6600 rom rev limiter! and I didnt touch the traction button so everything was on..
Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSuwaidi View Post
Thanks for the feedback but its not LC. Maybe I didnt make myself clear in the original post but its definately not LC. LC kicks in at 4600 rpm (I have lots of experience with that including a broken driveshaft!) and when you double click the traction button till competitive mode displays on the screen.

This happened when the car was moving. I was accelerating in 1st gear and when rpm hit 4 it just bounced back like when you hit the 6600 rom rev limiter! and I didnt touch the traction button so everything was on..
hmmm odd.. that was my only idea... sounds strange. good luck!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:

i've seen several cars, not camaro specific, where the tach lags significantly. so the tach. showed 4k rpm but u might have really been at redline. happens more often if ur spinning tires. but thats just my experience.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
AlSuwaidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
i've seen several cars, not camaro specific, where the tach lags significantly. so the tach. showed 4k rpm but u might have really been at redline. happens more often if ur spinning tires. but thats just my experience.
Thats what i was thinking, but im no the car expert here so just wanted other ppls feedback incase it was something more serious...

There was a bit of tire spin cause like I said it was a dusty road..

Any other opinions?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I remember having a similar problem (not the exacly the same tho) I was at WOT in the cobalt and when it reached about 5K it stopped and didnt want to climb to redline (7K) but thats where the simalarities end yours bounced as if it was hitting limiter where as mine didnt want to climb more. Ended up being a fuel system problem
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Guys/Girls somethin happened today and I dont know what caused it!

Was launching the car with trac/stab all on launched it at about 2-3k rpm and I think the road was a bit dusty as tires spun a bit more than expected even with traction on. Anyway thats not the point! Traction caused rpm to bog down lower till about 1.5K before properly launching and I was WOT or very close to it, with my eyes on the rpm gague and the rev limiter kicked in at 4K RPM!! It only hit the limiter once then I let go of throttle and got on it again and it continued as normal....

Can someone tell me what happened??? I think this happened before but I wasnt really paying attention to the rpm level so wasnt sure at the time.

FYI M6 LS3 ~1200Miles first incedent @ ~500miles

Any feedback appreciated!
That happen to me one day and I think it is the traction control shutting off fuel do to excessive wheel spin. When it happen to me it was very cold like in twenties so the tires where very hard and cold and I had to jump out infront of another vehicle. Next time turn off the TC when dumping clutch at 3k. It has never done it since.
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote