Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1793
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Come down to Houston and I'll show you how the Boss can really run when set up for the track....Boss302R. And I'll bring my SS set up for the track for comparitive purposes. I can probably get my hands on one of the Camaros (sold but in Dallas) that we raced and won with in World Challenge.

All the posters dismissing the track performance as unimportant compared to ET's are being way too one dimensional. People care about how cars handle and how fast they go around the road course. I could care less about 1/4 mile ET's. I don't run any stoplight races. I want a car to go fast during right hand turns/left hand turns/controlled braking/proper handling when things get pushed to the edge, etc. If you want to be king of the street and beat all those grandparents running stock corvettes in roll-ons, then do a HP grab and get the GT500.

PS I'm betting the GT500 will do pretty good at the track, with or without the track apps......untill the heat sinks in.

I've always wanted an excuse to visit Houston.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1794
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
I want the next generation GT500 to be able to break the sound barrier. Is this possible. What would be the trap speed on that? 705mph? Maybe a 2.2 or 2.1 second 1/4 mile?
Let's insist on it. Erik
Just get a tune, larger lower pulley and long tubes for the '13 and you're there!
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #1795
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I've always wanted an excuse to visit Houston.
You'll need to hurry down. Pretty soon we'll be too darn hot to go to the track for the day.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #1796
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Do you go to the track often? Has anyone handed you a lap time run sheet to document your laps with all pertinent data explained on the sheet? Not many do.....so how do you even document your times. The reason most forums don't include track time lists is that there are too many variables involved to make any list meaningful. Was the track running at full length or one of it's shorter circuits? Were the cars running on 18in Pirelli slicks or street tires?Temperature.....humidity......overcast...... best run.....avg run......other cars on the track or not?

And if neither Mustang fans or Camaro fans weren't interested in improving the handling of their cars for tracking or auto crossing, then how come Pfadt/BMR/BC/Pedders/name-your-favorite-supplier-here can't keep handling/tracking related parts in stock? I can see IImod lists from both camps including tons of builds which include hipo handling parts. And not just parts for better performance at the strip.

If you want to see numerous C5's and GT500's run on tracks, head down to Texas.

And......just one more time.....if Ford wasn't interested in road track performance, then why did they sell me a Mustang 302R to race.......and offer a trackpak for the GT500?
Did you even read the post i was responding to or mine for that matter? For one, your statement about lap time lists being irrelevant was exactly my point and the point of probably half my posts in this thread. Furthermore, i didn't say anyone only cares about 1/4 mile, the post i responded to did. I simply stated that the same heavy bias toward 1/4 mile times in the mustang community is just as prevalent in the camaro community, do you disagree? Why aren't there any lap time lists on this forum? Is it because all anyone here cares about is 1/4 mile times or because the idea of comparing lap times from various tracks with various drivers on different days is illogical? Do you see my point now? I also commented on the FACT that the vast majority of both the camaro and mustang community care more (not only) about straight line performance than most other performance car communities and these cars are not the popular choice among track junkies, at least where i have run. Now, if you could please point out where I said Ford doesn't care about handling and track performance, by all means I'll answer your question. Since i never said anything of the sort and instead commented on the irrationality of suggesting the mustang community only cares about 1/4 mile and the camaro community is different, we'll just move along shall we? And to answer your question, yes i track my car roughly every other weekend.

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 05-23-2012 at 03:34 PM.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #1797
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Actually, the Corvette ZL1 option was in the generally-circulated Vehicle Order Guide...any Chev dealer wishing to could have ordered one...

RPO (Regular Production Option) Code = ZL1, just like the quite RARE L88s...both engines were smog-approved and validated for Production. Even in California. Without a heater/defroster or radio, very few folks chose to...

Can a mass-produced vehicle be "rare"? Of course the answer is yes.
1, count 'em, one Boss 302 in Yellow with white stripes was produced even though that combination was not offered. That's rare, especially for a modern car.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #1798
9sec5oh
Account Suspended

Drives: 1989 Mustang LX
95 mile 2013 GT500 601rwhp 584 torque. Another pull coming up.
9sec5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #1799
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec5oh View Post
wow! 600RWHP+ seems to be the average it seems! keep us updated!
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #1800
KennyC
Banned

Drives: 2006 Duramax
I really hope they follow proper break in procedures........ Wait, never mind

Last edited by KennyC; 05-23-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Sp
KennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #1801
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Damn i really thought the average would be about 580.
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #1802
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
I really hope they follow proper break in procedures........ Wait, never mind
Doh...lol
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #1803
islander033
SLOBRA1

Drives: GT500/Cruze/DMax/Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec5oh View Post
Looks like they are going head to head with a ZL1.

Same day.

Same dyno.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #1804
NurburgZL1

Drives: Fast
Review on Road and Track and comments about GT500 Nurburgring Times from Ford

"When we asked the SVT folks about the GT500's test times around the Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany, they politely declined to answer the question."

click here

it must be close to the Zl1's times...
NurburgZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #1805
69bossnine
Banned

Drives: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Ford built the BOSS '9s for NASCAR certification...500-minimum in '69 (Ford missed that number by a few, as did Chrysler with their Charger 500s), and 1,000-minimum for '70 (like the Superbird), which Ford exceeded.

GM, on the other hand, used a readily available engine recipe (ZL1) from that other RARE production-built car of theirs, the ZL1 Corvette (two built). They HAD to build a minimum of 50, as per NHRA, to qualify the car for Super Stock-Class racing.

Ford and Chrysler decided to go "outside" with hand-converted/built cars. GM didn't, and therefore relied on "mass production" to hold costs in line. Otherwise, what would the price of a ZL1 Camaro have been?! Just about as bad as a fully-equipped '13 GT500...

I apologize to y'all in advance, but I can't allow sloppy/bad information to stand...

And now for your history lesson LOWDOWN:

Ford built 859 Boss 429's in 1969, which included two Boss Cougars. The minimum for NASCAR homologation was indeed 500 for 1969, but Ford built more than that thinking they'd sell them, which was a bad idea because they had a hard time moving them. I should know, I own KK1912.

In 1970, Ford built exactly 500 Boss 429's, enough to meet homologation rules, and not a unit more (due to the stuggles in unloading the previous year's build).

They were assembled at Kar Kraft because the width of the engine required numerous modifications/changes from production in both steering and front aprons that would not have been practical on the moving assembly line.

But I've gotta ask, WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR POINT? Are you too dim to realize that the 1969 ZL1 was HUGELY more expensive than either the Boss 429 or the Charger 500??

You finish your inaccurate blabber with this comment that GM installed the ZL1 engine on the assembly line to cut costs, yet the ZL1 cost almost double the other two cars.

And what does ANY of it have to do with the FACT that both the 2012 ZL1 and 2007-2013 GT500's are mass-produced right on the same assembly lines, intermixed right along with their other more pedestrian brethren?

They are production cars, they don't go to any 3rd-party outfitter, period.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #1806
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
Looks like they are going head to head with a ZL1.

Same day.

Same dyno.

Black looks downright menacing on the gt500!!! I wonder what the final numbers were
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote