Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Camaro LS3 exhaust v. C5 Z06 exhaust

Camaro5,

I have noticed lately that a c5 corvette z06 has been parking around my apartment and in my parking garage. I dont know the guy, but it looks bone stock...

Except...

The exhaust! This mother trucker is one loud son of a gun. It sounds like a bomb going off every time I hear him get in and start it. And as it pulls away, the exhaust note just bellows and sounds vicious! Like, deafening loud. It seems even more throaty than that exotic mustang dohc exhaust note on some of the more aggressive pony's (cobra termis, etc.). .... BUT STILL GOOD! LIKE, DAMN GOOD!

It got me to wondering...

I have an LS3 with just a vararam intake, straight pipe exhaust, and a tune. My car has plenty of volume, but NOTHING like that Z06. When I start mine, yeah it sounds great, but doesnt have that complete KABOOOOOOM/GROWL that Z06 has on start.

What gives.... Why is that LS6 so much more agressive sounding than the LS3?

(P.S. - I am sure its not cammed, but have no idea on his exhaust set up. Could but long tube headers into cut outs for all I know ... Still I doubt my LS3 would sound the same way if I did longtubes with cutouts... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
jph2275

P.S. - I've only had 3 LS1's before (01' C5, 99' WS6, and 02' SS), and they were loud, and its been a long time since i've been in an LS1 for a DD (including cammed, longtubed exhuast systems) ... but still I dont remember them sounding near as good as this LS6

Quote:
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Stinkycheese916

Drives: 2011 RAM R/T
Ask him???
Stinkycheese916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Folgers or Nescafe axleback system maybe?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
There's no way his exhaust is stock. He obviously has long tubes with an aggressive catback.

It's impossible to get that sound everyone loves without long tubes. Long tube headers gives a car that beautiful and aggressive exhaust note.

No catback exhaust can match the sound you get from long tube headers. Catbacks or muffler delete can increase the noise level, but you don't get that quality race car like sound. That comes with long tubes.

On your Camaro SS. Long tube headers, no cats, and straight pipes and your car will be extemely loud (crazy get a ticket from the cops loud). And on cold start ups it will be explosive, most your neighbors will hate you.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I had a 2002 C5 Z06 with Callaway intake and straight pipes. It sounded beastly. I have straight pipes on my SS and not even close in comparison. Here's a vid of my old Z06.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...housevideo.mp4

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
My neighbor has a blk Z06 and he drives it maybe once every 6 weeks. He lives about 300 yds away from me and I can certainly hear his car when it starts up. Sounds awesome.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
There's no way his exhaust is stock. He obviously has long tubes with an aggressive catback.

It's impossible to get that sound everyone loves without long tubes. Long tube headers gives a car that beautiful and aggressive exhaust note.

No catback exhaust can match the sound you get from long tube headers. Catbacks or muffler delete can increase the noise level, but you don't get that quality race car like sound. That comes with long tubes.

On your Camaro SS. Long tube headers, no cats, and straight pipes and your car will be extemely loud (crazy get a ticket from the cops loud). And on cold start ups it will be explosive, most your neighbors will hate you.
I'm sure it's not stock. The only LS1 I didnt have longtubes on was my c5, and yes I miss them and appreciate how loud and aggressive sounding they make a car

I guess I was driving at

Why does the LS6 sound so much better with *probably* similar longtubes/catback setups than my LS1's did (and my WS6 was cammed for christs sake, longtubes, no cats, offroad x pipe, flowmaster mufflers)

AND

LS3 v. LS6 - running identical exhaust setups (longtubes, catbacks), which one would ultimately sounds *better* or *louder* or *more aggressive* .... you'd think that .5 Liters of motor would do something

Quote:
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jungle View Post
I had a 2002 C5 Z06 with Callaway intake and straight pipes. It sounded beastly. I have straight pipes on my SS and not even close in comparison. Here's a vid of my old Z06.

Nice

Quote:
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
LT Headers with your exhaust will be very similar

mine was like this before it was cammed... now it is a freaking demon.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
beeguz

Drives: 2012 ls
I owned a stock 02 zo6 a few years ago those cars have a lightweight titanium exhaust system but they are not that loud.

Most z owners opt for a louder exhaust and sell the z mufflers for about 300 bucks, they give up a 3 lb muffler for a 15 lb muffler to me that is nuts.

beeguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
samhardy2008

Drives: 2012 3.6 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jungle View Post

man that car sounds sweet!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
sleeptyt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I had two c6 Z's.. Both LPE cars - one heads/cam setup and one supercharged. The supercharged car had no headers on it but it did have a borla stinger and it sounded mean once you stomped it but mellow at a stoplight. The heads/cam setup with kooks headers had a custom B+B on it and it sounded pissed off all the time -- that car sounded amazing -- it is the headers that make the difference. I do have to say that I currently have 2" American Racing Headers and Magnaflows on my 2010 SS and it sounds equally amazing -- I love the way the car sounds under excelleration - so pure! The cam does help as well but soundwise I wouldn't say the LS6 sounded better or louder. It's all how you set it up. In a parking garage the sound is always sooo amplified as well..
2010 2ss/rs - Built by ADM Performance - 2" American Racing Headers (Ceramic Coated), 2 1/2" Magnaflow competition series catback, ADM race intake, ADM stage II blower cam, MTI six shooter shifter, ADM custom tune -- 450rwhp/430rwtq
sleeptyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Drives: Camaro Sold
A lot of it is in the architecture of the car as well. The amount of bends, angle of bend, length of pipes etc. All of these things can affect sound by affecting the way it travels.
Devilfish is offline   Reply With Quote