Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #85
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I don't have any doubt that there will be a V8 Camaro priced within reach of a comparable Mustang. GM has said this and it has been confirmed by others. There WILL be a V8 priced within a few hundred of a comparable Mustang. The question that I think most of us have is, which V8 will that be?

I mean, you can put the L76 in the Camaro and it will crank out just under 400 HP and that will still beat whatever will be in the 09 Mustangs. The problem is that no one on here really wants the L76. We want the LS3. Therefore the question becomes; will they put the LS3 in the Camaro and have it priced next to a Mustang? I dunno. I mean, should a 350HP mustang cost the same as a 450HP Camaro? I hope so.
That is pretty much what I am guessing at right now as well, but I am still rooting for the LS3.

I think the LS3 might need to be the base V8 engine

As far as Ford is concerned, I don't think we will see the repeat of the 90s and early 2000s. The biggest gripe among Ford loyalists since 1996 is the lack of displacement and power, and I really think Ford is finally starting to pay attention. If nothing else, I garauntee that you will not see a SOHC or DOHC 4.6L engine competing against a 6.3L LS engine.

An inside look into Ford. They are developing the Hurricane engine series, that will probably be renamed "Boss". The engines will initially offer OHC 6.2L and 5.8L variants with the ability to exceed 7.0L in future aplications. I'm pretty sure Ford knows it is time to quit ignoring displacement when they are facing 6.2L HEMIs and 6.0L LS2s and 6.3L LS3s.

I also think that is why Ford is waiting to change the Mustang after the new Camaro comes out. They will see what the Camaro offers and then respond in kind with thier own larger displacement engine. The 4.6L engines will not be around for much longer.

So I really think it is in GMs best interest to drop in the LS3 as the base V8 and figure out how to price it competitively.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Last edited by Rock36; 04-24-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 AM   #86
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
It probably will be under $30,000. $29,995. Just like the Solstice could be had for under $20,000 at $19,995.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #87
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
That is pretty much what I am guessing at right now as well, but I am still rooting for the LS3.

I think the LS3 might need to be the base V8 engine

As far as Ford is concerned, I don't think we will see the repeat of the 90s and early 2000s. The biggest gripe among Ford loyalists since 1996 is the lack of displacement and power, and I really think Ford is finally starting to pay attention. If nothing else, I garauntee that you will not see a SOHC or DOHC 4.6L engine competing against a 6.3L LS engine.

An inside look into Ford. They are developing the Hurricane engine series, that will probably be renamed "Boss". The engines will initially offer OHC 6.2L and 5.8L variants with the ability to exceed 7.0L in future aplications. I'm pretty sure Ford knows it is time to quit ignoring displacement when they are facing 6.2L HEMIs and 6.0L LS2s and 6.3L LS3s.

I also think that is why Ford is waiting to change the Mustang after the new Camaro comes out. They will see what the Camaro offers and then respond in kind with thier own larger displacement engine. The 4.6L engines will not be around for much longer.

So I really think it is in GMs best interest to drop in the LS3 as the base V8 and figure out how to price it competitively.
You make a very good point. I don't think anyone expects Ford to sit on the sidelines with a 300HP Mustang as their top V8 (less the gt500 as it is in a price range of its own). The question I have always had is what will they bump it up to? 350? 400? I think that with the challengers and camaros running around anything less than 400 would not be competitive. Plus if they hit the road running with 400HP, then we can be fairly certain that we will not see the L76 as the Camaro will not come in with a V8 with less power than the Mustang....

The L76 is rated at 368HP on the Pontiac G8 from what i have read. IMO, GM coming out of the gate with anything less than 400HP is not acceptable.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #88
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
We are all sounding so hopeful, and I agree with everyone here on what they are saying, I think it was whiterag who said to (and this is to the best of my memory) " use common sense to determine a price guestimate, and then do the opposite".
I can comfortably say we've managed to do that very well. I will stake my life that a base LS3 model will NOT be above 30,000 dollars. It just can't be, GM cares for this car way too much (not to mention what the car means to the company).
And I'm tired of people thinking that the LS3 is GM's answer to the GT500. It isn't, It is the next engine in the LS series: i.e. LS1 < LS2 < LS3....
The LS7 could be the answer, some might even argue that the corvette is the answer.......BUT THE LS3 Isn't!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #89
Casull

I agree. the LS3 by itself is not the answer. It could be if the Camaro had the weight of a Corvette, but that is not going to happen. By itself, the LS3 is somewhere between a GT and a GT500, probably being closer to the GT500 but not quite there. Throw a s/c on that bad boy and you have a GT500 mongoose!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #90
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Casull,
Also, I wasn't necessarily comparing the GTO to the Camaro. The GTO is in a whole other ball park. It wasn't just the price that killed it (although I think it was the main factor). But, it was also it's styling. They could have done a better job w/ that one as we all know. No...I'm not knocking the car. I do like it, but my main concern is the price...immediately followed by the fact that GM decided to call it a GTO... It should have been given a different name IMO. Now, the 5th Gens style???!!! Oh, yeah...
I wasn't referring to anything you said in particular. I was just generally stating that I thought using the GTO as any form of a benchmark for pricing is rather pointless because I really don't think GM will make that mistake again. Like you said, the GTOs were just priced too high. The MSRP should have been what they were selling for at the end of the 06 MY run... around 29-30k.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #91
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And I'm tired of people thinking that the LS3 is GM's answer to the GT500. It isn't, It is the next engine in the LS series: i.e. LS1 < LS2 < LS3....
The LS7 could be the answer, some might even argue that the corvette is the answer.......BUT THE LS3 Isn't!

Ahhhh but isn't a supercharged LS3 still an LS3 at heart? Me thinks so

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #92
Mr. Wyndham

Sure, force feed me that spoonful
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #93
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Wow, thanks for the powercrunching of the numbers dude. I know that I gotta have a V-8 Camaro, because I can just be content with my Lumina,lol. Well, my wife's car and mine are paid for, for a 96, I only have 114K miles on it, which means with proper maintenance she'll give my oh, 3-4 more years (including tranny main10nance). So, I am going to keep the Lumina for work, scrap up 5K- 8K for a 450-550/mo note for 60 (or72 if I have to)on a Z-28 at 29K-32K sticker , and play with my toy on the weekends. It may benefit me even more if I persue relocating to Charlotte,NC from Chicago(a 40% drop in cost of living expenses) in the next year or so. I just went from psyched to SUPER-PSYCHED!
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #94
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
I agree, one that us future Camaro owners have to be aware of is "Speed Traps". My wife's uncle is a state trooper here in Illinois, and he told me that, if you are pulled over driving,I dunno, a Chevy Lumina, 6-10 miles over the speed limit, chances are you CAN get out of getting a ticket. But do the same in a speedy "looking" car, like a Camaro, you're toast. You can't manuever your way around it, Take the ticket and slow down, is what he told me. So a Z-28 cranking out 325-350HP will suit me just fine. Ooo, I cant wait!
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #95
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyseth1 View Post
Wow, thanks for the powercrunching of the numbers dude. I know that I gotta have a V-8 Camaro, because I can just be content with my Lumina,lol. Well, my wife's car and mine are paid for, for a 96, I only have 114K miles on it, which means with proper maintenance she'll give my oh, 3-4 more years (including tranny main10nance). So, I am going to keep the Lumina for work, scrap up 5K- 8K for a 450-550/mo note for 60 (or72 if I have to)on a Z-28 at 29K-32K sticker , and play with my toy on the weekends. It may benefit me even more if I persue relocating to Charlotte,NC from Chicago(a 40% drop in cost of living expenses) in the next year or so. I just went from psyched to SUPER-PSYCHED!
I know what you mean. My wife and I moved to Indianapolis about 6 months ago from Chicago (Naperville). It is amazing how much more we can afford. We went from having a $1200/mo rent payment to a $625/mo rent payment, and it doesn't take 4 hours to get everywhere.

When we were looking at houses up there we couldn't have even started to look unless we were ready to drop 300k and pay 10,000 in property taxes. Now we are looking at a house here in Indy with about 3900 sq feet on .7 acres of land for around $200k and $2500 in taxes! Needless to say, big city life isn't worth it, at least it wasn't for us!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #96
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Pricing??

Hey. Hope I'm not repeating anyone elses posting here, but has anyone seen any updated guesstimates on the prices of the Camaros? The last one I seen here was 08/06 and if that guess is close then damn, that's gonna fall right within my comfort zone price range.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #97
camarogrl42

Drives: 01 ss
does anyone have a guesstimate...

on how much the new camaro will roughly run price wise once its out?
i was hoping maybe someone could take a guesstimate at it
camarogrl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #98
Mr. Wyndham

There are at least 3 threads full of info and rationale for priceing, you'd get a quicker answer there, I daresay.

But, for my finger's sakes . 20k - 21k base, and no higher than 32k for Z28-SS (or whatever you want the top-dog to be)