Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
Questions on Air intake systems?

I have 1-3/4" SLP long tube headers with 3" high flow cats along with 2.5" Magnaflow aggressive exhaust sytem, programmer and K&N CAI. I'm not to familiar with the Diablo sport tuning on air and fuel mixtures. Don't have a track close by to really get a good feel. I'm just using the sugested tune as of now. But it runs and sounds great. I'm getting over 28mpg on the hwy. But in a few weeks I'm installing a Sinister functional ram air induction hood and want to know if this will even help the HP? I was also looking into the Big mouth 102mm throttle body and Intake manifold but not sure if the filter will alow the air to flow correctly to even amount to any power worth the money. But with all the combinations does any believe this would be a good add on. I like the look of it all and it's about $1,300 for the 102mm kits. It shows to be around 14HP extra installed on a stock system.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kertz View Post
I have 1-3/4" SLP long tube headers with 3" high flow cats along with 2.5" Magnaflow aggressive exhaust sytem, programmer and K&N CAI. I'm not to familiar with the Diablo sport tuning on air and fuel mixtures. Don't have a track close by to really get a good feel. I'm just using the sugested tune as of now. But it runs and sounds great. I'm getting over 28mpg on the hwy. But in a few weeks I'm installing a Sinister functional ram air induction hood and want to know if this will even help the HP? I was also looking into the Big mouth 102mm throttle body and Intake manifold but not sure if the filter will alow the air to flow correctly to even amount to any power worth the money. But with all the combinations does any believe this would be a good add on. I like the look of it all and it's about $1,300 for the 102mm kits. It shows to be around 14HP extra installed on a stock system.
Do you have any pics of these parts, are you referring to FAST 102mm throttle bodies and intakes?
I'm also considering similar setup, but was thinking more along the lines of a high ram intake. I've investigated the FAST approach but don't think it's the way to go unless you just want it for aesthetics, $1400 + labour for 14hp. is a waste in my opinion. However, if there is some evidence that it will increase low down TQ that would be a different story, (I'll take the 14hp, and TQ gains if they're substantial enough).
Nobody seems to be doing this except the guys that are getting custom sheet metal versions, and in their case usually stroking and forging the engine; of course it's worth $2k+ for a cool looking intake that contributes to their overall double or triple digit power gains.
My performance shop plans on testing some models shortly, I'd be more than pleased to share results with you in the future.
Please, let me know if you find any results as well, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by calbert1999; 06-13-2011 at 04:55 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I would save your pennies vs buying the FAST manifold...that money would be a big chunk towards something that could make the car go faster...or a lot of chicken wangs.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Firstly. I hate you. I have been fantasizing over the sinister hood for a year now. Just been unable to pull the trigger. But I should be more helpful. Yes the ram air will be beneficial for your hp. But only if your CAI has an open top that can make use of the ram air. If you have a closed box CAI (such as CAI Industries) then you won't really get much out of it.

All that said, get the hood. Even if it doesn't help your numbers, it looks amazing.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
RichieSSZ28
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS & 14' Sierra Z71
Got the hood and it seems to help with the air being routed to the intake. I don't notice a difference when it's winter anymore. So it must be helping in the summer.

Stig you need to get the hood. I love it.
SLP 1-3/4" LT Headers, 3" High flow cats,MGW short throw shifter with Orange SS, Magnaflow 2.5" Street series aggressive full system exhaust with 4" Tips, MGW Short throw shifter, K&N CAI, SLP 160 thermostat, Diablo Sport Tune by SLP, Sinister Street scene Package, Custom Two Tone paint scheme(Pearl black and Inferno Orange) by Owens Customizing, Two tone Engine cover, 22" Gianelle Cuba 10 matte black with ball cut details, Vredestein SUV assanta tires 265/35 and 315/30.
RichieSSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote