Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Last HU I bought was 2005. I listened to tons of units from every brand, and Alpine/blaupunkt had the clearest sound. Maybe Best Buy, Circuit City and Tower/Good Guys all had the JL on shitty wires or something to downplay them...
Old 12-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #16
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Believe it or not ....panasonic has come a very long way with their HUs

Not the low end ones in the store.....their online store
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #17
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
All this talk of 'High End' and 'Low End'. I have never been 'into' audio systems. But I did have one in my 2000 S10 Xtreme. So now I'm curious. What 'end' was mine?

The headunit and 12 disc CD changer were Pioneer and the 4 10" subwoofers and 2 900 watt amps were all Orion Xtremes (this was back in 2000 of course).

I'd never do anything like that again aside from changing the head unit (actually my Pioneer was designed to fit right into any GM or Chrysler vehicle with no alterations and I still have it).

I'd be happy with a regular (GM) sized unit in the new Camaro so I could just swap in that Pioneer head unit since I had it in my 2002 Camaro also. But I know that won't happen. I might have put it in the current '05 Aveo, but it's not like the Camaro where you just popped a little trim off to get at the radio so I didn't bother.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #18
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Low End = low quality
High End = high quality
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #19
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Tag, you hit the nail on the head brotha! SD card slot or at least a USB slot. I put a headunit in my old car with a USB in it, I LOVE it I never use a walkman. i'm always talking to someone or need to hear what's going on around me. Being a cop you know those things can get a man killed!

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Love the SD card slot idea. Now...how to scroll through all the songs to find the one you want to play while still trying to maintain the eyes on the road.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #21
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkbd View Post
Low End = low quality
High End = high quality
I understood what it meant, I'd just never thought about it and had no idea what mine was considered.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #22
Sick

Drives: Audi TT
I'd like to see an iPod jack - it'd save me the trouble of burning CDs and it would give me a final push into finally buying one of those damned things.

and I wouldn't want a CD changer that wasen't in the dash. I have a CD changer behind my seat in my Audi TT, and I can never tell which CD is which number on the damn thing.
Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 AM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I want to keep the steering wheel from the concept. That means that I don't want a bunch of buttons all over it. I do like the ease in changing music tracks, but I think I'd rather do it from a screen where I can read the track name instead of a wheel that looks fly as it is. I also do not want a CD changer of any kind. I don't like them as they have an awful tendency of jamming or making difficult the task of telling which CD number is which CD. Those things get confusing. I just want the iPod jack.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

If they can incorporate the buttons into the wheel and make it look good, I'm cool w/ that. I like the concept wheel too. I'm happy w/ them putting them on the back of the wheel. That would work for me too.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

It's nice to look back to some of these older threads and read what everyone had to say...and then to see the Camaro be offered with it. Seems like someone WAS really watching!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #26
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
Haven't herd of that before, but even with any advanced singnal processing capabilities it has, its still basically a line level converter, albeit with some nice quality improving features. But GM could save a lot of people a lot of money and grief by including a set of pre outs. It cant cost a lot more to include an amp bypass circuit in a HU, and if they do, at least we can buy our amps and subs and such and try them out with the stock HU before we take the plunge and get aftermarket
GM doesn't care about inconvenience to those who seek to modify their cars. They spend years building what they feel is a great automobile only to have a handful of smart and a heavy load of dumb car tuners ruin or change their great automobiles. In other words, if GM wanted to make it easy to tune, GM could do it, but GM wants to discourage people from breaking their vehicles.

It's a sad fact, I know, but so many break their cars with bad research and worse components and then blame their car for breaking. GM doesn't want to lose the hip tuner crowd, but GM also doesn't want to make cars so easy to modify that breaking cars is just as easy.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
The big problem with changing the HU is that alot of things are wired into the HU.like OnStar and your audio chimes like the "you left the key in the ignition ,stupid" alert. And there are aftermarket cures for that,but they sound horrid and nickel and dime you to death.I see the best way is stuff like the JL and fosgate stuff to increase the audio quality while keeping the factory HU(like everyone else said already).
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #28
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
GM doesn't care about inconvenience to those who seek to modify their cars. They spend years building what they feel is a great automobile only to have a handful of smart and a heavy load of dumb car tuners ruin or change their great automobiles. In other words, if GM wanted to make it easy to tune, GM could do it, but GM wants to discourage people from breaking their vehicles.

It's a sad fact, I know, but so many break their cars with bad research and worse components and then blame their car for breaking. GM doesn't want to lose the hip tuner crowd, but GM also doesn't want to make cars so easy to modify that breaking cars is just as easy.

Yea, buts thats why a set of pre-outs would make everything easier for everyone. Dont have to change the HU, dont have to muck around with extra hardware to "convert" the speaker level signal. It would be almost too easy to toss a couple of amps and a subs in the back and connect it all up......hell, if GM wired a set of Sub level pre-outs right into the trunk out of the factory, then absolutely NO modifications need to be done in the interior to add in a sub woofer of your choosing....

and it wouldn't screw with OnStar!
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote