Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
StuHydermanDC
Stuey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
OOOOOPS!

OOOOPS!

I hit a pice of debris this morning that was lying on the roadway. Looked like an old catalytic converter or muffler.. Horrible bang..I stopped right away and guess what--the 6.2 was streaming oil from underneath.... So I decided that i could make the mile or so to the GM dealer and not get too low on oil..

I didn't really look under there, but is there an oil line hanging there? I just hope i didn't crack the oilpan..
StuHydermanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Geeze.

I would bet its the oil pan. Especially if it was still steering correctly, then you now its not power steering fluid.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuHydermanDC View Post
OOOOPS!

I hit a pice of debris this morning that was lying on the roadway. Looked like an old catalytic converter or muffler.. Horrible bang..I stopped right away and guess what--the 6.2 was streaming oil from underneath.... So I decided that i could make the mile or so to the GM dealer and not get too low on oil..

I didn't really look under there, but is there an oil line hanging there? I just hope i didn't crack the oilpan..
Oh no!

I'm truly sorry for that unfortunate experience StuHydermanDC. Glad to hear you got the vehicle to a dealership. We would appreciate any updates you have regarding the repair!

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Happened to me in my Impala SS when I hit someone's receiver hitch and ball that fell out of their bumper. The oil pan was steel, so it didn't crack. Just shoved it up into the oil pump and crank. Had to pull the engine to change it all out. The Camaro pan is cast, so it can split or shatter hitting something like that on the highway.

I still would recommend calling roadside assistance rather than driving to the dealership in that situation. Don't give them a reason to jack up the repair bill because damage was done driving it with a known condition. And insurance can potentially deny a claim if you continued to drive it after the incident

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
StuHydermanDC
Stuey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
The rate of leakage was not that bad..It was just a thin drizzle, any slower and it would have just dripped. I estimated I lost about a quart driving it in.
StuHydermanDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuHydermanDC View Post
The rate of leakage was not that bad..It was just a thin drizzle, any slower and it would have just dripped. I estimated I lost about a quart driving it in.
Oh, I saw streaming and that usually means alot to me. I see alot accidents on roads where a truck or car leaked oil, and then others end up skidding out and wrecking.

Not that you can stop the leak, but if on a road with a major leak, best to let it pool in one place (away from drains) so clean up can be performed much easier.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
That sucks hard. I had a dbag have something fly off his truck yesterday and I couldn't avoid it. But I was on way to dealer anyway, 2 hours away mind you, I think I got lucky and maybe just barely scraped the belly pan or muffler or something.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I still would recommend calling roadside assistance rather than driving to the dealership in that situation. Don't give them a reason to jack up the repair bill because damage was done driving it with a known condition. And insurance can potentially deny a claim if you continued to drive it after the incident
I agree
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
dang, I wouldn't have driven it, nothing like a burning up an engine(w/o lube)...lucky.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Oh no!

I'm truly sorry for that unfortunate experience StuHydermanDC. Glad to hear you got the vehicle to a dealership. We would appreciate any updates you have regarding the repair!

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I must say, every time I have been to a GM dealer, I have been greeted and treated in the utmost friendly and professional manner. Today I had to have a replacement key cut and programmed, they did it no charge and gave me a drink while I waited. It's truly little things like this that have made me American brand loyal. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
What was hit?
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
that sucks! hope it was nothing major!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Fiery re-Creation
Danger Zone

Drives: 2001 F-150; 2013 Black ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Fiery re-Creation
That sucks! Hope it is an easy fix.

I had something similar happen 2nd time I was driving the car. Pickup coming towards me on the highway lost a drawer out of a desk that skidded across the highway. Damn ZL1 sucked it over like it was a magnet. Tried to avoid it, but any further over and I would have been in the ditch. Ended up scratching the plastic rear valance on the passenger-side when it exited, but thankfully that was all the visible damage I could find.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I was driving behind a state road crew carrying signs once in a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner and ,you guessed it ,one came off the back of the truck and I hit it ,blew a tire and puntured the oil pan,they sent out a rollback and fixed the oilpan and a new tire paid for by the Georgia tax payers.