Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
7600 for a Sunfire is ridiculous, threathen your insurance company of pulling all cars out, that might work. If not, just get him into another insurance company. I hate Ontario for this reason, compared to Montreal, our insurance is like 10x theirs. For example, my uncle just bought a Ferrari 360 Modena, his insurance will be 4k for the year, and he still thinks thats too much. Wow, could you imagine what that would be for someone here?!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #16
kozmo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
PLPD car
kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
SSRider

Drives: Black 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Correct, get him off your insurance ASAP and tell your company he is in college out of state and will no longer drives your cars and then stick to it.
INCORRECT

This is all bad advice from people who are not experts in the insurance field. Sorry, I am not trying to offend anyone. I know that most of the responses are intended to help, but they do not. In the event of a claim involving your son you could end up in a deep mess if he is not properly insured on your policy. Keep in mind that you are financially responsible for his mistakes or neglegence if you are providing 51% or more of his financial support and/or he is living in your household and/or you are claiming him as a dependant. If he is underinsured on another policy, the court will look to you for the additional amount of liability due

I am giving you a small idea of the exposure, to your financial well being, that can be opened up if you make improper choices. Statistically your son will be involved in an auto crash while he is a teenager. My suggestion is to meet with your agent in person and give him/her the true facts so that they can properly assess your particular situation and make informed suggestions and give you options. If you are not comfortable having this conversation with your agent then find a new agent. If you are not comfortable with the options you are given try another agent. Keep trying till you find one that is willing to put forth the effort to do the best for your situation that is possible, Ethically.

Greg
Licensed Property and Casualty Agent for 16 years.

Of course I should add that this information relates to auto insurance obtained in the U.S and that auto insurance is regulated on the State level so there are some differences but the logic is similar even in Canada I would presume.
SSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
I would say if you get his own insurance then you wont be liable. But Im not insurance broker. As the guy above said check with your broker.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I would just do some shopping around for insurance for your son only!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK67 View Post
Got a message from the insurance company to call them back ASAP. My 19 year old son, who is occasional driver on my wife's 02 Sunfire, rate went to $7600 ( what the f#%%$@ ) from $990!
Sigh a waiver that he does not drive it the Camaro? Doesnt matter, 3 cars 3 drivers. His insurance solely on the Sunfire is $7600!
To top it off my insurance on the 2SS is $965 when my 08 Colorado is $1200. Man nothin is making sense tonight. OK, I need to drink heavily now.
Generally speaking, young drivers are the bane of insured motorists everywhere.
That being said, insured drivers are in a dwindling majority. Outlaw drivers are passively intent on ruining it for everyone.

And that's much of the reason your Son, and you by default, are getting tagged so hard in this.

37 years ago it was only my taking the high school's driver's ed. program and securing that certification that added $16 per month to my parent's policy.

Things have taken a change for the worst in the intervening 37 years. Illegal immigrant drivers are much of the cause. Gypsy cab operators too.
Sad.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
2LT/RS

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS
I'll agree there are stereotypes for alot of different types of drivers out there, but the main reason there are more accidents now than 37 years ago is because there are more cars, more roads, and a higher chance of running into someone else. Add newer distractions like cell phones, cd players, nav computers, coolers in the glove box, tv screens,..., there are alot of reasons accidents happen. I have no idea what the situation in Jersey is like, but blaming it mostly on one group of people seems harsh.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #22
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
You're in ontario. I suggest looking at belair-direct. they only do ontario and quebec as far as i know.

when i was shopping around for insurance for my cobalt, i was 19, just turning 20. and the cheapest quote i could get was 430/mo through TD. state farm wanted 630/mo and some were as high as 800/mo. Then i found belair, and they got me insured for 180/mo. That was me at 19 with a speeding ticket on a new supercharged cobalt.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #23
321LATER
321LATER

Drives: 2019 White ZL1 (On Order)
$7600 for a Sunfire is a crime. There must be more to this story especially if your 19 year old son has had no claims...Look around for other insurance companies and DO NOT LIE on the application.

Be Safe.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
tededfred

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
That's about par for the course, i'm afraid.

I've had my own car since i was 17, and for the first few years, i was paying 600+ a month for insurance (and i do mean I was paying. Not the parents). During that time I had a 97 Jimmy and then a 2004 Hyundai.

Luckily, I graduated from Seneca who has an alumni deal with Johnson insurance, and my premium dropped to about 300 a month.

I will turn 25 by the time my camaro arrives, and the quote i received was in the vicinity of 180$/ month.

FWIW, every person I've recommended to Johnson ended up saving at least some amount, so I would check with them.
tededfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #25
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tededfred View Post
That's about par for the course, i'm afraid.

I've had my own car since i was 17, and for the first few years, i was paying 600+ a month for insurance (and i do mean I was paying. Not the parents). During that time I had a 97 Jimmy and then a 2004 Hyundai.
$600 a month just for insurance?? That really sucks. I paid $110/month for my 9 year old jeep cherokee. Dropped considerably when I started college. I worked two jobs in high school and still wouldn't be able to afford $600 a month!

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #26
tededfred

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
$600 a month just for insurance?? That really sucks. I paid $110/month for my 9 year old jeep cherokee. Dropped considerably when I started college. I worked two jobs in high school and still wouldn't be able to afford $600 a month!
It was a constant battle each month to get the bills paid! But hell, it was worth it to have wheels. ...then again, being the only person with a car in my group of friends had a result that made me feel like a taxi driver a little too often :P

Plus my college program was only 2 years long, so I hit the 'real world' work force pretty quickly.
tededfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Dont lie to the Insurance company. Thats their job.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #28
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
He is 19 but only had license 4 months now. Took drivers Ed, no tickets. Thanks everyone. Im on a research mission this week!
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote