Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Finally decided on an exhaust...heres my Magnaflow setup!

UPDATED: 9/19/2012 Stock resonator delete video added.

UPDATED: 7/31/2011 A few drive by videos added...this is with Vararam intake which adds some decent growl over the previous AirRaid. Video at bottom of post.

(5-11-2010 - added in cabin video)

OK, so for those that don't know, I've been deliberating over what exhaust setup to get for a very long time. So much so that I put together the V6 exhaust sticky thread on the home page of this V6 section. Watching all those videos and reading every thread made it worse on me.

So without boring you all on why I made the decision I did, I finally went with a custom magnaflow setup. Mufflers (# 11235), a resonated X-pipe (# 11385), and 4" double walled tips (# 35177). The X may not have been needed, but I wanted to do all I could to avoid as much drone and rasp as possible, and I think I've accomplished that goal.

I'm very happy with my new sounds, and with only about 100 miles on them now, they should hopefully get a tad better over time. This system has a really nice low, smooth tone from initial RPMs through the 3500 RPM range...and from there the highs of the V6 start comming through again, but still not like stock and there is barely any rasp during reving...dare I say no rasp under a load. In cabin sounds wonderful (v8-like) and I experienced almost no drone. Only a few times during my hour trip home did I experience what I consider to be a little drone, around the 71 - 73 MPH speeds, but its not bad and didn't seem to be consistent. Again, this could change over time. Its not real loud, which is what I wanted, but noticeable over stock. My ONLY negative (well, cant really say its a negative) is that I was thinking I'd get a bit more burble/snarl/growl in the upper rpms, but its just smooth. Wouldn't mind a bit more rumble.

In the end I feel I got a system equal to, or very near the cat-back kit Magnaflow offers, for 4 to 5 hundred less than retail. I have to give a shout out to Rods muffler shop in Union Missouri for doing a quality job at a great price, not to mention being friendly people. They'd copy my setup for around $650. Subtract the X and your looking at closer to $500 - $550. (get cheaper tips than I did and that'd help to lol)

Check out some install pics and a youtube video below. As always, sound is always better in person, but if you happen to have a nice PC sound system, or good headphones this isn't bad. Thanks to everyone, cause honestly lots of people helped me out with what I wanted.

H-pipe removed:

resonated X in:

Installed from below:

Out back:

Added: 5-11-2010. In Cabin video. Think this turned out pretty good. Gives ya a nice idea of the sounds, cept for two differences I've noticed. If you have a good PC sound system (with woofer) or headphones you may notice a couple spots that sound a bit "boomy" at times...that tone is there in real life, but I think the mic amplified it a bit. The other thing is that it didn't seem to pick up the sound as good as I'd hoped over 3,000 + rpms, but oh wells, what can ya do!

A take off and a couple drive by videos. Fairly hard take off, then light to medium throttle drive by, and finally a hard drive by...but I had to let off way before I wanted so it didn't turn out like I had orginally planned. Oh wells...hopefully have more sometime. This one is with the Vararam intake installed which has added a nice amount of growl over the AirRaid. Thinking about changing up the exhaust a bit for more sound/growl but I wanted to take this video first!

New video added with resonators deleted:
Not quite the change I was hoping for....it really didn't do much at all but there are some minor differences. Basically just a TAD more growl, but I also think it added a tiny bit more drone unfortunately...

Last edited by KMPrenger; 09-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Cool stuff!!!

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Tx1Lt
Mark it ZERO!

Drives: '10 Black Camaro
Nice!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Sounds a lot like stock, but a little deeper. I would still go with the MRT 2.0 for that money.

Good job though! Nice to know what you thought worked out when it does I know that feeling because of the setup I came up with, I was scared to death worried if it didnt sound good.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Sounds good to me. I'm planning a magnaflow cat-back set-up someday.
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Sounds a lot like stock, but a little deeper. I would still go with the MRT 2.0 for that money.

Good job though! Nice to know what you thought worked out when it does I know that feeling because of the setup I came up with, I was scared to death worried if it didnt sound good.
lol yeah...my first words after they finished was "ok..well I hope it sounds as good as I hope" lol.

Definitely much deeper than stock..but as I said in the original post, I was hoping for a bit more up top......same as this guy:

I have his exact mufflers, but he has no X pipe like I do.

Anyways, I'm happy now and stickin with it!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
redman

Drives: 18 2SS Vert
Sounds nice and deep. Did you leave the stock resonators in place?
redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
Add an Injen CAI and you will get a better sound at higher rpm's. I had the same thoughts after my exhaust upgrade, but with the Injen added, the higher it revs, the louder it gets!
Sounds great and turns heads.

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
Sounds nice and deep. Did you leave the stock resonators in place?
Yep, I left them in place as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFH View Post
Add an Injen CAI and you will get a better sound at higher rpm's. I had the same thoughts after my exhaust upgrade, but with the Injen added, the higher it revs, the louder it gets!
Sounds great and turns heads.
Thanks KFH! I've been kicking around the thought of getting this CAI since it came out....and the more I read and hear about it, the more I want it lol. And whats better, is that its not any more expensive than the others...and in most cases, less expensive than the others.

I could just go snatch it up now I guess lol, but I'm usually pretty frugal with my money...so maybe in a month or two I'll pick one up.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
MRT V1's for me
xBlackout_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
sounds very nice.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackout_Camaro View Post
MRT V1's for me
Well, I should have mentioned at the top...if you want in your face loud....this system is not it.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
buddylok

Drives: -
finally!!

I'm glad that you like your new setup
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
That's a nice set up there. I think we could classify this as one step under the mrt v2's. That would be perfect for someone that wanted right in the middle. I just guess it depends what you are looking for. I personally like the v'2 because when I rage out I never have to give someone the finger. The car does it for me when I zoom past them in high rpms. lol. I did notice right away that you have an evil wall just ready to eat your paint job. I had that wall in germany and I went to the craft store and got a long sheet of grey foam and glued it to the wall. Saved me about 3 times in 5 years. Thats for showing us your videos.
Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote