Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Hope we won't lose the Camaro again...

after the 5thgen??? With the onset of the new CAFE std. (many on here seem to be ignoring) I have great concern over the future of our beloved Camaro. Sure there are plenty of resources to turn to but how much will it take before folks decide they don't want to spend the money on an environmentally high-performance coupe because all the technological innovations sent the cost through the roof??? Of course I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but it's only a matter of time before reality sets in.:( Scott, is there hope???
Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
dont be as negative nancy.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
Yes, the future of the internal combustion muscle car is in jeopardy. Thing is, even current electric tech is showing that it can make cars faster and lighter than IC cars.

PS. I'm even LOVING the styling of the Volt. http://www.gm-volt.com/wp-content/up.../volt-side.jpg

PPS. And yes, I know it has vestiges of the 5th gen look in it.
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Don't grow too attached to the Volt's styling. Bob said it made for depressing aerodynamics and it would have been better if they put it in the wind tunnel backwards. It is being completely restyled now.

The rest of the RWD projects were put on hold when the new CAFE was first considered, but the G8 and Camaro were too far along to stop. They'll have to keep them out for a while to make the development worth the cost. Also, GM can afford to keep a few performance cars and still make the standard, and people will still buy it.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Here is how CAFE works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAFE

For the purposes of CAFE, a manufacturer's car output is divided into a domestic fleet (vehicles with more than 75% U.S., Canadian or—after the passage of NAFTA—Mexican content) and a foreign fleet (everything else). Each of these fleets must separately meet the requirements. The two-fleet requirement was developed by the United Automobile Workers (UAW) as a means to ensure job creation in the US. The UAW successfully lobbied Congress to write this provision into the enabling legislation. The UAW continues to advocate this position.[14] The two fleet rule for light trucks was removed in 1996.

Fuel economy calculation for alternative fuel vehicles multiplies the actual fuel used by a "Fuel Content" Factor of 0.15[15] as an incentive to develop alternative fuel vehicles.[16] Dual-fuel vehicles, such as E85 capable models, are taken as the average of this alternative fuel rating and its gasoline rate. Thus a 15 mpg dual-fuel E85 capable vehicle would be rated as 40 mpg for CAFE purposes, in spite of the fact that less than 1% of the fuel used in E85 capable vehicles is actually E85. [5]

Manufacturers are also allowed to earn CAFE "credits" in any year they exceed CAFE requirements, which they may use to offset deficiencies in other years. CAFE credits can be applied to the three years previous or three years subsequent to the year in which they are earned. The reason for this requirement is so that manufacturers are not penalized for occasionally (due to market conditions, for example) failing the targets, but only for persistent failure to meet them.

Fleet fuel economy is calculated using a harmonic mean, which results in slightly different values than simple averaging.[2]

Nother good note...

Calculations of MPG overestimated

The EPA laboratory measurements of MPG have consistently overestimated fuel economy. This results in a shortfall of about 15% in actual vs. measured CAFE goals. Starting with vehicles in model year 2008, the EPA is improving their estimates of MPG.[48] This change does not affect CAFE ratings, only Consumer Guide values will change to reflect more realistic fuel efficiencies. [49]

The NHTSA spends a third of one percent of its budget on CAFE or 0.0004% of US gasoline expenditures.[50] [51]

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
What pisses me off is that our beloved high performance cars get threatened with figurative castration or extinction altogether, yet the light trucks will always continue to get horrible fuel economy while no one ever mentions discontinuing those models.

I understand that performance cars are a "niche market" and trucks are a necessity, and that trucks sell a lot more than performance cars, but I just wish they'd focus more attention on trucks instead of making every muscle car enthusiast worry about their favorite car getting the axe (again for the Camaro).

Ah well, enjoy it while you can.

Last edited by Warghost; 12-20-2007 at 06:42 AM. Reason: My dog ate the spellchecker.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
The Goverment over here is even worse on cars then over there. My plan with this car is to buy it and enjoy a petrol run power car while I still can and the petrol tax hasn't been souped up too much. It already makes the gas cost three times the average cost then in the US.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can't take much more of this doom-and-gloom crap.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Anyone notice the E85 loophole? 15mpg gasoline = 40 mpg E85 rating. So all GM has to do is make half their cars E85 capable and they are set. Add to that some hybrids and the volt and the are laughing
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
As long as they don't close that loophole
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
As long as they don't close that loophole
Exactly. Hopefully, that loophole be enough to keep the Government happy for a while.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Anyone notice the E85 loophole? 15mpg gasoline = 40 mpg E85 rating. So all GM has to do is make half their cars E85 capable and they are set. Add to that some hybrids and the volt and the are laughing
I don't understand how that works though. E85 actually gets LESS mpg than regular gasoline. So how do they come up with an, obviously, unrealistic number?
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

^ Not only that but E85 also emits more CO2 than petrol and there's no real infrastructure outside of the Midwest, but yet GM markets the crap out of it.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=24