Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Aktos

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2SS
Tires not breaking loose

I have a 2012 SS Auto (that is all 100% stock) that I took out today, drove it for 4o minutes or so then got on it and it will not break tires loose. It is about 80 degrees here, only use 93 octane, did fuse pull overnight after I bought it and refilled. Anyway put it in sport mode turned off TC and Stabilitrac and from a stop I punch it and all I get is a chirp wtf? Also can we not power brake these new cars anymore?

I did not try tap shifting usually it would break tires free in drive with traction control on.

Is it the perelli tires? or the warmer weather? Why is my V8 performing like a 1995 Geo Metro 3 cylinder?
Aktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Two things
1. You're in Texas and the warmer temps really make the stock Pirellis stick.
2. Torque managment

My car and many other stock L99 A6s would not spin the rear tires in warm weather (cooler air yes, but warm/hot weather, no). The Pirellis do hook well in warm conditons.

I got my car tuned (engine and transmission) and then it would spin the rear tires (even in hot weather). My car picked up about 30 ft lbs of torque below the curve (where you want it) from the tune. That is what gets the tires spinning off the line.

And don't worry. When you (if you) get modded, you'll be wishing your tires would hook up. My car has bolt ons + converter and I can't hook up to save my life on the street.
So traction is actually a very good thing to have.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Two things
1. You're in Texas and the warmer temps really make the stock Pirellis stick.
2. Torque managment

My car and many other stock L99 A6s would not spin the rear tires in warm weather (cooler air yes, but warm/hot weather, no). The Pirellis do hook well in warm conditons.

I got my car tuned (engine and transmission) and then it would spin the rear tires (even in hot weather). My car picked up about 30 ft lbs of torque below the curve (where you want it) from the tune. That is what gets the tires spinning off the line.

And don't worry. When you (if you) get modded, you'll be wishing your tires would hook up. My car has bolt ons + converter and I can't hook up to save my life on the street.
So traction is actually a very good thing to have.
+1. Well put. Torque management is the true culprit here. A custom tune is the best route to go if you don't mind possibly voiding the warranty. If you don't plan on getting into heavy mods a simple Diablo Sport or Superchips tuner will get the job done.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Aktos

does the torque management override the power braking even when traction control and stabilitrac are off?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
+1. Well put. Torque management is the true culprit here. A custom tune is the best route to go if you don't mind possibly voiding the warranty. If you don't plan on getting into heavy mods a simple Diablo Sport or Superchips tuner will get the job done.
the diablow and superchips will still void your warranty, no?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
the diablow and superchips will still void your warranty, no?
Yes they will.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
dannykay

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktos View Post
I have a 2012 SS Auto (that is all 100% stock) that I took out today, drove it for 4o minutes or so then got on it and it will not break tires loose. It is about 80 degrees here, only use 93 octane, did fuse pull overnight after I bought it and refilled. Anyway put it in sport mode turned off TC and Stabilitrac and from a stop I punch it and all I get is a chirp wtf? Also can we not power brake these new cars anymore?

I did not try tap shifting usually it would break tires free in drive with traction control on.

Is it the perelli tires? or the warmer weather? Why is my V8 performing like a 1995 Geo Metro 3 cylinder?
I'm in the boat as you.....fuse pull last night....93 oct....100% stock other than flow master exhausts and I can't even get the tires to scream.....doesn't seem like my car has the initial jump that it's suppose too
dannykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Aktos

can we not power stall anymore?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I have heard that the 2012 A6 SS cars have a a system that limits how the engine revs while the brake is applied. The older cars do not have this system (thankfully).

Seems they are trying to prevent us from playing with these cars!!!

Get a custom tune if your more interested in performance then warrantee. If it were me, I would put around 4000-5000 miles on the car in its stock form. Generally, if something serious is going to happen, it will happen early on and you will be covered under warrantee.

Once the car proves its self some that there are no problems that need to be corrected, then likely there will be very few issues with the car that the warrantee will cover anyway. They get a custom tune.

A good tune that turns off your torque management system will turn your L99 into a totally different beast. Its truely amazing the difference you will feel with a custom tune. Not only that you will get better shifting and fuel milage as well.

I would recommend Ted Jannetty at JRE racing and his crew 100% for tune and any other aftermarket performance parts as well as support, as good as any one or shop out there.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Try it in manual shift mode, first gear...
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Drive it for a while to make sure it is mechanically solid then get a Jannetty tune. Then learn how to feather the throttle to keep it from spinning when you don't want it to
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i dont think you will really break it loose until more power. even my 450WHP camaro doesn't really have traction problems in hot weather. and that a lot more power over a stock l99.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Mine is a 2011 and if I press and hold the button until both lights come on; on the dash; I'm as loose as a goose (power brakes like a champ). I can't press the pedal all the way down from a light if I want to KEEP traction, with the lights on, with Stabilitrac on it gives me about 6 bouncy feet before it clamps down on the tarmac. Just sport mode and I'm a neutered house pet (little chirp). 340 rwhp 360 TQ from factory no tune no parts A6 L99.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
My manual breaks em loose easy. I'm running G Max AS-06 tires which are not as sticky as the PZeros. Seriously sorry as its disapointing. PZero is an amazing tire and designed to stick like glue in warmer climates and they do.