Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What should be an option on the 1SS?
Leather heated seats 80 31.37%
Complete Convenience and Connectivity package 137 53.73%
Ambient Lighting 38 14.90%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #71
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
if they offered leather as an option I probably would switch from a 2SS to a 1SS... maybe lol idk because I really like that ambient lighting

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #72
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Sorry dragon eye I dont follow that logic the wiring etc will be there its going down the same assembly line why could they not have offered that option what could there extra cost be 200?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #73
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Sorry dragon eye I dont follow that logic the wiring etc will be there its going down the same assembly line why could they not have offered that option what could there extra cost be 200?
It's not the point. They don't just pick and choose when they run a car down an assembly line.

The pick a build combination....

a....1LT RS with stripes.
or a 2LT with stripes
or a 1LT with stripes and C&C
or a 1SS RS
or a 1SS with chrome rims
etc
etc
etc
etc
(you can imagine the hundreds of thousands...if not millions...of combos on the early Camaros)

For every possible trim + option combination there is a build code. The more build codes you have, the more complicated (potentially effecting quality), and expensive it gets to build a vehicle. So, they weigh the possible return on investment for every option. If it's not worth it, they don't offer it.

This is why offering the gauge pack and some options through the dealer is more effective for the less-popular options. Perhaps enough people are projected to want it that it might effect sales, but not enough to justify the production costs...well, they can still get them, but by going through the dealer; it doesn't effect the build combos.

Like I said...I'm no expert -- but that's how it is. The more options you offer, the more complex and expensive it gets to build. So they throw out less profitable options.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #74
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You guys need to understand the process of building and equipping cars. I'm not in the industry...nor do I pretend to be. But...generally, the goal...is to balance personalization and options with costs associated with build-combinations. This is the reason the Auto Industry shifted towards option packages, and now...less option packages.

The SS is clearly for enthusiasts and the performance-oriented buyer, yes? Therefore -- it's not meant to sell in near the same numbers as the V6. This makes SS optioning more critical -- because costs will be spread across fewer vehicles. So, with that in mind:

The 1SS is intended to be the "bare-bones" performance Camaro. Clearly...it's far from bare-bones: power-everything, leather surfaces, Stereo, A/C, etc... however, it is stripped of options -- thus eliminating unnecessary** build costs there.

The 2SS in contrast was meant to be the fully-loaded SS. The people who need to have this stuff will cough up for it. Those who want this stuff...sorry -- we're in the minority.:(

**unnecessary: if you add Ambient lighting, C&C, etc...you'd might as well just opt for the 2SS. That's why they put all the luxury amenities in the 2SS. It's really not that much more for what you're getting -- and grouping things like this lowers cost so you can get GT500 and SRT8 performance for far, far less.

I still want them to offer C&C on the 1SS...but we've got to understand why they didn't.
Yes, but why not do it this way.....

1SS = Basic
2SS = All that it currently has except Leather Seats
3SS = Includes All off 2SS Options Including Leather.

My point being to GM is that there are a lot of enthusiasts out there, but are being turned off the SS, because in order to get what they want they are being forced to take the leather seats which is something they don't wish for so in the end they settle for a 1LT loaded and a lot less power. By dropping the Leather from being standard, the 2SS would start around the $32,000 price and the 3SS would still be the $33,000 or so it the 2SS was. Might end up selling more vehicles in the end! To me I would never make Leather as a standard feature unless you were building a Cadillac.
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #75
ArcAngel

Retro Dude hit it on the head!!!! thanks man see what I mean Dragoneye?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #76
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
MSRP on the C&C for the automatic 1LT is 655.00
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #77
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDude View Post
To me I would never make Leather as a standard feature unless you were building a Cadillac.
Technically...it's not standard.
But tell that to Dodge, or Ford. To get to their high-powered models; you have no choice. At least Chevy's giving you that choice. Unfortunately; at this point -- you'll need to weigh what's most important to you: toys and gadgets, or performance?

Again...they study all this. It's not decided willy-nilly...Perhaps they'll look at MY10's sales results, and decide to offer the C&C package for the 1SS...who knows?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #78
ArcAngel

I wonder what the break down is per model out of the 11000 pre orders anyway we can find out??
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #79
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
Technically...it's not standard.
But tell that to Dodge, or Ford. To get to their high-powered models; you have no choice. At least Chevy's giving you that choice. Unfortunately; at this point -- you'll need to weigh what's most important to you: toys and gadgets, or performance?

Again...they study all this. It's not decided willy-nilly...Perhaps they'll look at MY10's sales results, and decide to offer the C&C package for the 1SS...who knows?
They should have studied this with you and me or with people on these boards. It is quite apparent (like getting hit in the head with a baseball bat) that C&C is highly desirable on a 1SS. Who, what, and where did they research to come up with a different conclusion?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #80
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Quote:
I wonder what the break down is per model out of the 11000 pre orders anyway we can find out??
The only breakdowns I've seen is V8 vs V6 not trim-level specific.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #81
Blownhotrodder

Quote:
Actually...the 1SS comes with Leather-wrapped and stitched steering wheel, shifter, door-armrests, and center console. Think of it as a "medium-equipped" interior.

The bluetooth and cargo net (never saw the point of those things) is part of the C&C package, I believe. (which isn't offered for the 1SS.:()
If its standard on both then why even have it under the C&C option?
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #82
Mr. Wyndham

They brought in 15 enthusiasts of diverse backgrounds, ages, and regional locations to provide input along the development. AND...they've done estimates/research like this for about a 100yrs or so...

Look, I don't like it either! I want C&C...But I trust they had their reasons...and I understand you, me, and others around here may not not important enough to shift the optioning of this vehicle. I DO anticipate this option being offered for the 2011MY. I agree -- it seems to be quite popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
If its standard on both then why even have it under the C&C option?
Because the 1LT, the ONLY car available with this option, does NOT have those things standard.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #83
Blownhotrodder

Ahhh okay.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #84
ArcAngel

well dragoneye there so called research has gotten them in the pickle they are in today, so maybe they need to start doing things differently no?