Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #995
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5THGENRS View Post
we were suppose to start running at 9:15 if i read that correctly.
I cant speak for everyone especially when you guys set up the online registration to make things easier but my party completed our forms online and on time.

You did miss it, here it is right before your post:

My comments and complaints are based on constructive feedback. Just pointing out what happen and what i saw.
No offence intended JusticePete especially after sponsoring the event and standing up for me
I did not miss your thanks. I used your post to address this in general. None of this is about any one person. It is all about WE. Drivers. Spectators. C5 Members. AC Team. WE want more runs and more fun for IV.

When I asked the TEAM what I could do to help they told me to go run the Impala so they could get back to work.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #996
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
First and foremost, a big thanks to everyone who volunteered for auto cross. I never would have tried this if it weren't with the Camaro5 family. A lot of work went in to setting up the course and all the equipment that was provided.

I do understand the frustration of the drivers who didn't know what was going on. I'm sure in your meeting you discussed lessons learned and plan to improve the experience, Pete! Very nice to meet you. I drove on Friday morning and volunteered on Saturday morning. I think one thing that would make a world of difference is having a volunteer coordinator (or two). I also think starting a little earlier might give a little relief to the crunch we experienced. It WAS miserably hot...........and I think that contributed to some of the frustration EVERYONE felt.......and we only have mother nature to complain to about that.

These are some of my ideas:

1. If someone isn't signed up or they didn't complete their form.......they're not gonna drive
2. Take the group of drivers for each session, and split them up like Saturday morning, half works while the other half drives. That would be about 24 drivers for each session.
3. Have a bigger dedicated staff where the staff working can have some breaks. Have a dedicated worker meeting before the driver/worker meeting so all staff is on the same page and try to be consistent about the procedures.
4. Have a water cooler with cups for the drivers/volunteers (if it's really hot) so they can hydrate between runs.

That being said, I had a blast. I didn't really care about my times, but I know some did. I was in the Friday morning group.....and we had no idea how fast we went (except for some with the first runs). My extra 80 dollars paid for about 4 autocross runs and 4 drag strip passes..........but I had a lot more than $100 worth of fun........I met the Lingenfelters for the second time, GM VIPs at autocross, owners of most of the vendor booths, had a cool drag strip clinic, got some led reverse lights and hex hood vents installed and got a ride in a supercharged V6..........and some other things that are top secret

Can't wait for next year............I'll volunteer, I'll autocross............

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #997
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeokie View Post
These are some of my ideas:

1. If someone isn't signed up or they didn't complete their form.......they're not gonna drive
2. Take the group of drivers for each session, and split them up like Saturday morning, half works while the other half drives. That would be about 24 drivers for each session.
3. Have a bigger dedicated staff where the staff working can have some breaks. Have a dedicated worker meeting before the driver/worker meeting so all staff is on the same page and try to be consistent about the procedures.
4. Have a water cooler with cups for the drivers/volunteers (if it's really hot) so they can hydrate between runs.

That being said, I had a blast. I didn't really care about my times, but I know some did. I was in the Friday morning group.....and we had no idea how fast we went (except for some with the first runs). My extra 80 dollars paid for about 4 autocross runs and 4 drag strip passes..........but I had a lot more than $100 worth of fun........I met the Lingenfelters for the second time, GM VIPs at autocross, owners of most of the vendor booths, had a cool drag strip clinic, got some led reverse lights and hex hood vents installed and got a ride in a supercharged V6..........and some other things that are top secret

Can't wait for next year............I'll volunteer, I'll autocross............
VERY GOOD ideas, the first two were addressed in the de-briefing before awards. As far as having a bigger dedicated staff, that just depends on how many volunteer, then on how many of those volunteers actually show up (people seem to have a knack for disappearing when work is involved....). As for the fourth idea, I remember seeing a water cooler with cups near the staging area during the first two runs, after that I never saw it again. My guess is that it probably ran out, and after it was re-filled it wasn't returned to the staging area....I was dying out there too, lol.

I Can't wait for next year either. After seeing how much smoother the auto-x ran on Saturday, just think of how much it will improve with a whole year for THE SAME people to organize it! It's going to be GREAT, I assure you!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #998
xSSkier874

Drives: 17 Silverado, 99 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Well said...

And a big KUDOS to Garcmol and his team for VOLUNTEERING their time

..... did they at least get a run or two in?
You're welcome and yes we did get a few runs i think i got 4. I was running Friday afternoon and then helping out as much as I could between my run. I was the blue car parked off to the side up front.

For the people not happy as Pete said we are sorry we couldn't please everyone, but this is the first time for all of us volunteers and we did everything we could to make it run smooth. We all volunteered for next year pending if we can make it to the event, so it should be better having learned from our mistakes. If you have any input on how you may have done it in the past or maybe anything you think we could do different please let us know. I'm just glad I got the chance to work with and meet many amazing drivers. I will see you all next year
xSSkier874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #999
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
I gotta say I was pretty disappointed with the autocross. I was scheduled for the fri afternoon session but showed up for the early session and offered to help but was told none was needed then asked again after the course walk. I drove a thousand miles for this btw and got 4 runs. On Saturday am I asked about times and how the afternoon fast group was going to be picked or find out if I qualified and nobody knew. I went over to the vendor area for a little while then come back and see cars lined up. When I ask if this was the fast group I was told yes and we're the fast group because " they thought they were fast". WTH. I helped with the cleanup and walked away disappointed. My suggestion would be to get rid of the timing all together if it is having that many issues. Just go have fun especially if the times are not shared.
+1
2 runs on Friday morning ( total ) after arriving before 8am.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #1000
smokescreen

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
First off I would like to say THANKS to Pete and his team, as well as the volunteers from C5. The second thing that I would like to say is that I apologize. I was supposed to assist in the saturday am session, but ended up bed ridden with an oce pack on my knee and a percuset. I texted one of the other memets and let him know this. I showed up to the fest even though i knew i was going to go down for knee surgery this coming wednesday. All that i can say is i really wanted to help and be part of the C5 family. If i am able to attend next year you can be damn sure i will be willing to help out. Again, my apologies.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #1001
Stingraye

Drives: 2011 2SS / RS M6 LS3 IBM
I would like to apologize for using my last post to only vent my pent up frustration and not extend my gratitude to the workers of the event who made it possible. I was told on Friday that the course working was being done with the pm session drivers working am and am drivers working pm. So knowing I was registered for sat am I expected to be working sat pm. When I was there sat am I asked a few people what the plan was or what to do all I got was "I don't knows" or "were good for now." I think a volunteer coordinator would be great to have for the next event. I wanted to help more I just felt there was a total loss of communication amongst the group and if there is a way I can help that next year you can sign me up. Again I'm sorry if my last post offended anyone who helped organize and run the event, it wouldn't have been possible at all without you and I did have a lot of fun still. I just hope we can find an effective way to communicate to everyone who's driving
And who's working when and where and try to keep the whole group informed. I'll do my best to fill an empty volunteer position next year if I am able to make it to the event.
Stingraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #1002
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I have thick skin and a pen with paper. Any feedback is welcome; harsh included. I/We wanted you to have the best time possible and drive the wheels off. If you were disappointed, it's discussed above a refund procedure. But I hope the bulk of everyone had fun!

Pro drivers walk a track before they run it. Even if they've run it before. That's important and won't change. And it takes time. It will cut into a session.

Times are important if for nothing more than talking smack in the parking lot afterword. (I think someone had wearing a skirt as a bet involved).

The smile of folks kept us going. We lived Friday on some ham and chese out of a cooler.

It'll get better. We were strangers Friday; friends Saturday. Thank you all for your efforts and your time at the fest miles from home.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #1003
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingraye View Post
I would like to apologize for using my last post to only vent my pent up frustration and not extend my gratitude to the workers of the event who made it possible. I was told on Friday that the course working was being done with the pm session drivers working am and am drivers working pm. So knowing I was registered for sat am I expected to be working sat pm. When I was there sat am I asked a few people what the plan was or what to do all I got was "I don't knows" or "were good for now." I think a volunteer coordinator would be great to have for the next event. I wanted to help more I just felt there was a total loss of communication amongst the group and if there is a way I can help that next year you can sign me up. Again I'm sorry if my last post offended anyone who helped organize and run the event, it wouldn't have been possible at all without you and I did have a lot of fun still. I just hope we can find an effective way to communicate to everyone who's driving
And who's working when and where and try to keep the whole group informed. I'll do my best to fill an empty volunteer position next year if I am able to make it to the event.
We'll get better. I didn't break the groups into heats on Friday. AM session was to be split in two. Half drive, half corners, then switch out Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1004
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I too want to make sure my thanks and gratitude were sufficiently expressed. None of this would have been possible with out Pete, Garcmol and their team of volunteers. My comments were meant to be constructive and are based on my limited experience with my local club runs. I'll get with the coordinators later on once every one has time to rest from the past weekend to see were I can be of use.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #1005
99RedRagSS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS 'vert, red,white,6M,
First, I had an absolute blast running the autocross. If I understood correctly, this was the first fest with an autocross, so some issues were bound to happen. I know next year it will be better.
I saw some attitudes, good and bad, and I want to give props to the volunteers as they stayed positive, maintained their sense of humor, under less than ideal conditions to make sure we all had fun. Pete, Rob, both Bruces, both Dannys, Mike, Melanie, Norm and all the others, a big thanks to all of you.
99RedRagSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #1006
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedRagSS View Post
First, I had an absolute blast running the autocross. If I understood correctly, this was the first fest with an autocross, so some issues were bound to happen. I know next year it will be better.
I saw some attitudes, good and bad, and I want to give props to the volunteers as they stayed positive, maintained their sense of humor, under less than ideal conditions to make sure we all had fun. Pete, Rob, both Bruces, both Dannys, Mike, Melanie, Norm and all the others, a big thanks to all of you.
First Fest in Valdosta Ga. had an Autocross event, I had a great time running it.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #1007
Stingraye

Drives: 2011 2SS / RS M6 LS3 IBM
Here's an in car vid of my best run of a 38.0, I felt I could have knocked another second off my time atleast with another run, but still had a lot of fun.

Last edited by Stingraye; 08-06-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Stingraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #1008
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Nice man, wish I would have got more then 3 runs My first run I just drove threw it with a 44 sec time, just to get a feel for it. Then my second and 3rd I actually tried and got it down to a 40.2 with a 300lb guy in my car! I know I could have done a 39-38 with a few more try's...