Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle SS View Post
What's a ps3?
Xbox 369 ftw.
Xbox is great if you like red.

Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post

That problem hasn't popped up in a while, all the new 360s are very stable. And while I'm no fanboy (I've owned Nintendo and Sony consoles in the past), the 360 is by far the superior choice for online gaming, even if you do have to pay $50 a year for the service.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
RROD were user problems really, demand for the new system didn't provide long term testing, and demand for slim compact units compounded that problem of long term testing for heat problems in different enviorments.

A a true hardware flaw would have them all break, but no so
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
So why did MS extend the warranty to three years if it was user causes? Console gaming is ok I guess, but PC gaming is where it is at.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post

Ive never had an Xbox 360 get the RRoD. Even the 360 i got at midnight when they came out lasted until the new slim came out last year when i traded it in for the new one.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
I have a theory about the original 360's rrod. It wasn't really an overheat thing, and if you religiously kept your console horizontal, you may never see an RROD. Vertically, there's no airflow on the old design. Also, the southbridge chip isn't held in with any pins, just solder dots. If you kept it vertical and it got too hot, that solder got soft and separated on the southbridge a little...Which is why when you wrapped it in a blanket and set it horizontal and intentionally made it hot, that solder would soften and sort of reset itself.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I love red, but I only ever see greeeeen
Muscle SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
I have a theory about the original 360's rrod. It wasn't really an overheat thing, and if you religiously kept your console horizontal, you may never see an RROD. Vertically, there's no airflow on the old design. Also, the southbridge chip isn't held in with any pins, just solder dots. If you kept it vertical and it got too hot, that solder got soft and separated on the southbridge a little...Which is why when you wrapped it in a blanket and set it horizontal and intentionally made it hot, that solder would soften and sort of reset itself.
This.

I've always had my 360 in a well-ventilated, horizontal position and never had any overheat problems.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #23
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
PS3!!

FTW
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
RROD were user problems really, demand for the new system didn't provide long term testing, and demand for slim compact units compounded that problem of long term testing for heat problems in different enviorments.

A a true hardware flaw would have them all break, but no so
I remember reading articles that something like 80% of all Xbox 360s before the improved design had failed and needed to be repaired/replaced. Id bet the only ones who didn't have this issue are those that handled the system as mentioned above, with a ton of ventilation and in a horizontal position. I'd call that a hardware flaw.

Most people stick their video games in an entertainment center or leave them on the carpeted floor (the worst spot possible).
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I've had my xbox for 4-5 years now and only had 1 problem with it. I think it was an E64 error or something like that. I do have to say though, that the Microsoft support was fantastic. Mine was even off warranty and they still fixed it because of the type of error. I say fixed it, but what they really did was send me a new/refurbished one to replace it. They paid all shipping as well. Cost me nothing, and I was back up and gaming by the end of the week. I have the halo 3 special edition camo green/orange xbox. and the new one they sent me was even the same kind. So I usually stick up for microsoft in the console gaming world..... Windows is another story haha
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
The first company to realize that a new system that uses only flash will destroy! If steam and Microsoft or Sony teamed up they would be unstoppable! Games prices would drop and sales would increase with higher profit margins! another big thing is that flash memory is further compressed and requires less energy meaning that those systems would actually function better! You will see Flash memory is the future of all gaming!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #27
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedveins View Post
The first company to realize that flash memory and a new system that uses only flash will destroy! If steam and Microsoft or Sony teamed up they would be unstoppable! Games prices would drop and sales would increase with higher profit margins! another big thing is that flash memory is further compressed and requires less energy meaning that those systems would actually function better! You will see Flash memory is the future of all gaming!
I think cloud gaming (Like OnLive) is the future of gaming. The little console thing works amazingly well, as do their games when played on a low end laptop. Add to the cloud/stream gaming the ability to completely control their digital content (no pirating), and I believe you'll see more and more publishers jumping to this type of gaming delivery.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #28
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
I think cloud gaming (Like OnLive) is the future of gaming. The little console thing works amazingly well, as do their games when played on a low end laptop. Add to the cloud/stream gaming the ability to completely control their digital content (no pirating), and I believe you'll see more and more publishers jumping to this type of gaming delivery.
not until a vast majority of the US has reliable high speed connections. Meaning, 20 + Mbps connection that doesn't go down once a month.