Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
GMPP should sell tunes.

I have checked around and see that tunes run around 600.00 or so. And of coarse we have no drivetrain warranty if we do them. BUT what if GM would come out with some good tunes that are comparable to what you get from tune shops and charged say 1000.00 to 1500.00 for them. And you get the to keep the full factory warranty. Would you buy them?

I am just thinking if we could show GM that there is enough interest in them they may make them. The extra money for tune is there to cover something if it does break during the warranty. I just really think the L99 so much more than the LS3 has been nannied to much and GM selling a tune would rock.

What do you guys think?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Never happen. They cannot alter anything that enable them to acheive their MPG & durability ratings.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009

Last edited by HaveBlue; 11-05-2009 at 07:49 PM.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Really, care to explain the Cobalt tunes and the dodge srt4 tunes then?
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
Or...they could endorse some of the reputable tuners for a percentage of what they charge for the tune and not void the warrany if one used these "select" tuners......pretty much pure profit, win-win for all!!! Use their knowledge & experience for GM's (and the consumer's) benefit.
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Never happen. They cannot alter anything that enable them to acheive their MPG & dirability ratings.
MPG ratings would before any tuned installed and as far as durability, I would
bet the tunes would have little to no impact on it. Only time I've seen a problem with a tune is when some knucklehead doesn't know what they are doing. To answer the OP question, no I would not buy a tune for $1500, maybe at $1000, but I better have lifetime tweaks available if I need them.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
MPG ratings would before any tuned installed and as far as durability, I would
bet the tunes would have little to no impact on it. Only time I've seen a problem with a tune is when some knucklehead doesn't know what they are doing. To answer the OP question, no I would not buy a tune for $1500, maybe at $1000, but I better have lifetime tweaks available if I need them.
I would think they would be fair in pricing at $1500 as it would allow them to add in additional insurance for breakage that is going to occur. Higher HP = more breakage...that's statistics speaking not whether you consider a tune damaging or not. If GM were to continue powertrain coverage with a tune, they would have to charge more than your streetcorner tuner as they have to cover breakage that the streetcorner guys doesn't.

As far as GM "getting in bed" with select tuners...I don't know if this would work as those tuners would have to have their hands tied as far as "custom" work on covered vehicles...or have GM approved and GM disapproved tunes for sale.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Again gm already sold injectors/ pulley upgrade for the S/C cobalt with a tune.

If GM sold a tune only for the Camaro for $1500 and people bought it, they should be killed. Both GM for selling it at that price and the dummy who pays $1500 for a generic tune.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
Higher HP = more breakage...that's statistics speaking not whether you consider a tune damaging or not.
HP gains from a tune on a stock Camaro are not enough to overwhelm the
drivetrain in my opinion. I just have not seen that much gain with a tune alone. Now you add that with other go fast goodies then yes the weakest
link is more likely to be exposed, but just getting your car tuned to be as efficent as possible is not going to be a problem. In fact a tune, CAI and exhaust in my opinion will not test the cars limit.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
RipGear

Drives: '74 Vette Coupe
I agree they should sell tunes and I don't even have my car yet! This would be an easy way for GM to pull in some extra revenue and the dealerships already have the necessary equipment on hand. I'd pay $25 - $30 per rear wheel pony with a non-voided warranty.
2006 Troy-Bilt Weed Eater, I1 4-Stroke, M1
2010 Camaro #64281, 2SS/RS, L99, RJT, Black Leather, Black Rallys
RipGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I thought that GM came up with one for the Sky?
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

the sky too, I forgot about that one. Basicly Im saying GM can and has done it. It just appears they wont for the Camaro. Theres more money to be made in voiding warranties than cpu upgrades.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Man I wish MPG would be an issue because the car only has to meet thos standards when new. Once its purchased all bets are off.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
HP gains from a tune on a stock Camaro are not enough to overwhelm the
drivetrain in my opinion. I just have not seen that much gain with a tune alone. Now you add that with other go fast goodies then yes the weakest
link is more likely to be exposed, but just getting your car tuned to be as efficent as possible is not going to be a problem. In fact a tune, CAI and exhaust in my opinion will not test the cars limit.
So, adding horsepower does not add stress? You might not see the HP from a tune breaking something immediately, but the added HP could shorten the life of pieces of the puzzle and cause added warranty claims.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
So, adding horsepower does not add stress? You might not see the HP from a tune breaking something immediately, but the added HP could shorten the life of pieces of the puzzle and cause added warranty claims.
Of course adding hp adds stress. All I'm saying is these cars are not maxed out on what they can handle from the factory. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I can chime in here and give some specifics on how much the stock parts can take.