Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #43
Carls2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS M6
My Signature pic says it all!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #44
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Well, I'm doing my share to keep the cult alive. Living in the Chicago area, I drive my Shelby Cobra replica every day (except in the rain). Then I'll drive the SS when the weather gets too cold to go topless - and with snow tires, all winter long.

In my neighborhood, it's probably 90% SUV's. Boring.

Life is too short to be concerned about MPG's.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #45
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Went to a car show yesterday which proved my point. Lots of oldies but goodies from the early 30s on up to the 70s. The only modern entried were new camaros mustangs and challengers. The only foreign was an old MG, a mazda rx7 with a chevy v8 and a restore rolls royce. No toyotas or other similar cars.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #46
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Car culture is simply not the same now as it was in the 1950's - 1970's. A car was freedom and prosperity. You were encouraged to buy a car to express your personality. Everything revolved around cars. Not just gas stations and specific car related things. But there would be no drive in movies or diners or even drive thru prescriptions without cars. No suburbs, motels, malls, supermarkets, or even campgrounds. A cross country road trip was a vacation and big thrill.

Today all these things that came about because of cars are taken for granted, and the car's role in their existence forgotten. Now the car is simply a point A to B appliance. All positive things are forgotten. Manufacturers focus on gas mileage and safety instead of the thrill and freedom of driving. And the media targets cars as the enemy.

So cars are simply not the same. Manufacturers no longer produce stylish individual designs. Everybody copies everybody because they are afraid something too different will be rejected, and they will lose sales. Even a 1957 Chevy, Plymouth or Ford were unique, stylish, and colorful even though they were the bottom of the line mass produced cars. Now everything is the same basic 4 door appliance in your choice of shades of gray.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #47
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Car culture is simply not the same now as it was in the 1950's - 1970's. A car was freedom and prosperity. You were encouraged to buy a car to express your personality. Everything revolved around cars. Not just gas stations and specific car related things. But there would be no drive in movies or diners or even drive thru prescriptions without cars. No suburbs, motels, malls, supermarkets, or even campgrounds. A cross country road trip was a vacation and big thrill.

Today all these things that came about because of cars are taken for granted, and the car's role in their existence forgotten. Now the car is simply a point A to B appliance. All positive things are forgotten. Manufacturers focus on gas mileage and safety instead of the thrill and freedom of driving. And the media targets cars as the enemy.

So cars are simply not the same. Manufacturers no longer produce stylish individual designs. Everybody copies everybody because they are afraid something too different will be rejected, and they will lose sales. Even a 1957 Chevy, Plymouth or Ford were unique, stylish, and colorful even though they were the bottom of the line mass produced cars. Now everything is the same basic 4 door appliance in your choice of shades of gray.

Exactly.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #48
Mersades
Web Geek Chick & NHRA fan

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post

It's so true. Car culture was already going to the wayside when I was going up... My parents and uncles were alive to see the golden days, and they are the reason have a passion for vehicles and aeronautics. I crave car shows and car museums because I am envious that those beautiful works of art used to be commonplace on the streets of America. The amount of detail to the old designs amazes me.

I always go through a few days of mild depression when Hot August Nights ends in Reno and the roads go back to looking bland and vanilla.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #49
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
my beater . . . its not numbers matching big money but i did it ALL myself. i screwed up/learned a lot.
Attached Images

JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #50
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Kids are being taught that cars destroy the environment. We need to drive Smart cars and Priuses....hey did y'all know there are 4 of them now...one to fit everybody's need as long as its not needing a car that turns heads or goes fast...those are wasteful and ruin the environent and hoard our recources that WE can't use while we send aid to Brazil so THEY can drill baby drill. That way when unrest breaks out in the middle east we get to pay 4.00/gallon at the pump. I'm waiting for a solar powered dream machine that runs on the beautiful warm sun rays and unicorn flatulence.

Sorry, I'll stop now.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #51
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The "scene" is way better today than back in the day. The cars are way faster and handle too. Car people are generally more knowledgeable.

There is less real street racing, but that's good. The roads are too crowded today. The best old cars now are the one's treated to modern technology. The stock oldsters are fun to drive around on a sunny Sunday, but try living with them 24x7.

Not knocking them but putting nostalgia in perspective. Rose colored glasses to me.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #52
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
I stopped today and I took look around me. I noticed how boring the strEets looked of car...ugly boring cars. Sure cars are better today but extremly boring, even the 4 bangers running turbos are quick but boring even if they are 150 mph. Sure I grew up as a kid in 60s and 70s cars were not as good because tech is always evolving but the streets were really cool back then. Cars had style they were quick and they left a legacy. People knew cars were cool. Today most cars seem to be built for soccer moms and stuckup yuppies. Even cars from the 50s were cool back then. Today there are just the camaro mustang challenger and charger the rest are run of the mill cookie cutters. Am I really so wrong to feel this way?
Exactly why I bought a 12 SRT8 Challenger, I prefer the look of old muscle.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The "scene" is way better today than back in the day. The cars are way faster and handle too. Car people are generally more knowledgeable.

There is less real street racing, but that's good. The roads are too crowded today. The best old cars now are the one's treated to modern technology. The stock oldsters are fun to drive around on a sunny Sunday, but try living with them 24x7.

Not knocking them but putting nostalgia in perspective. Rose colored glasses to me.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Look at some postcards from the 1950's showing parking lots. Even though they were just average cars when new, they now look like works of art. Hard to believe something like a 1959 Cadillac was built just to drive to the store and work and not specifically made to be shown at car shows. Compare that to any parking lot today. Mostly bland 4 door and SUV's in shades of gray. Nothing to get excited about there.

Also, it is a complete myth that all old cars need to be modernized in order to be driven practically. I had a 1979 Lincoln that was used as a daily driver for 16 years. Absolutely nothing needed to be done to it other that normal maintainence and repairs. No it did not handle like a Porsche. But with a 6.6 liter V8 it got 13 mpg compared to my 3.6 liter V6 Camaro that gets 16 with half the weight and engine. Anything 1955-1980 can be driven daily with no problem. Only 1930's and earlier might not be practical.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #54
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I'm going to have to disagree entirely. The internet has connected those of similar interests. Before the internet it would have been 10x harder to do anything enthusiast related. Checking out other cars, seeking help/advice, researching and learning new modifications/fixes, all of this stuff is much more involved thanks to the internet.

Look at this site for example!

I say the street scene is bigger, and more widespread. It may just appear smaller because small, local car groups have been replaced by much larger, more regional car clubs. Meaning, instead of having a small group for your town, its more like your entire state or county or whatever.

It is a more mature scene as well, because car ownership costs have dramatically increased. This is a good thing. It means less kids can afford to get on the road and be irresponsible. Its better than they must wait until late teens/early 20s to be more financially sound, then they can afford a car.

It keeps the whole scene more mature.

Today its just easier to relay info and buy parts on line. Thats about it. In the 60s and 70s there were street machines and and wanna be street racers all over the streets not online. Plus in my area there were speed shops all over the place. Don't see many speed shops around much now.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #55
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post

I disagree. Actually the cars from the 60s and 70s rode really nice. They were smooth and comfortable, at least the big luxury cars or personal luxury sports like a Grand Prix, T-bird etc. No you could race them into a tight corner because they were highway cruisers.