Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #617
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Lol seriously gm? Old style keys? We back to the 90s early 2000s?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #618
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
I like the fob for the new corvette and the new Cadillacs. They look nice, and I wish they could give us one of those somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #619
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
In high school I had a buddy with an older Camaro. The accelerator stuck to the floor one night when we were doing things we weren't supposed to be doing! He panicked and I reached over and shut the key off. Lot's of backfires and a exhaust pipe that looked like a peeled banana but we coasted to a stop! Personally, I want to have that control if it's ever needed!
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #620
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Welcome to the new "idiot proof" world we have created. The problem is the idiots keep procreating at an incredible pace.
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #621
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Absent the key being jarred losing airbag function...and correct me if I am wrong...this airbag safety thing seems to be the issue....

1. install a new Airbag control module to keep the airbag function on for a specified period of time after the ignition or key is intentionally or unintentionally switched off.

2. install a proximity push button system likely compatible with existing learning key fobs

Retrograding a 5th gen Camaro after a 10 year hiatus to pre 2000 technology seems an easy quick fix and does not adequately address consumers. I humbly believe GM should offer more than just a "key" to fix this. I love my Camaro..and have 5 GM vehicles in my driveway...I am a loyalist...always will be to Chevy...

However....

A simple fix of a pre 2000's key is insulting. A fix yes, a simple fix, yes...to comply with NHTSA regs and or to prevent future litigation....but GM, IMO should offer more than a retro "key" to new technology...that being a 5th gen Camaro.

My opinion is materialistic of sorts, but it also addresses consumer demand. Did I buy the Camaro because of a cool looking key fob? No. I also expect a choice whether it be a free fix or an IMPROVED proven tested design (proximity push button start) at a reasonable cost and as a choice.

GM needs to think here...520k Camaros...do the homework...the math, the number crunching. How much will GM save with the retro key fix in future litigation? A TON! In the hundreds of millions possibly. Offset the costs (bottom line) with offering a choice of fixes for this issue and not just a quick buck, easy way out.

And I am going to go out on a limb here..GM's vehicle volume was decreasing every year from 2000 until 2009 with the introduction of what vehicle? Yep...the 2010 Camaro. The Camaro is what helped GM out of the slump and since 2009, GM car volume has leveled off and not declined since. Was the Camaro the sole reason for the upswing in sales? Not specifically. The Cruze had a big part to play too..GM sold 25k Cruzes in the US up to 2010 with a threefold (3 to 1) margin over the Camaro since 2011. I surmise what point I am making is that when you tally up the production numbers AND mean price per unit, that 3 to 1 volume decreases to roughly 1.6 to 1 based on average price per unit (Cruze vs Camaro). In essence, people buying Camaros brought GM back. The Camaro dramatically made GM come back and a force in the global market. GM needs to step up and at LEAST come up with a solution more profound than just a $5 key. And don't just offer this proximity key fob fix to just the Camaro..offer it to ALL affected vehicles. Offer a $5 key fix OR offer to the CONSUMER (without economic loss to GM) an entry and start system commensurate to the technology advanced vehicle that the Camaro is.

And if this is going to be GM's solution, and it's ONLY solution, I will rethink my position on what GM believes customer loyalty to be.

Bottom line...I didn't buy the Camaro for the key fob...but I have issue with just one solution (retro key) for a technological marvel (Camaro) with technology (proximity push button start) that's been around for what? 20 years?

Off my soap box.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Last edited by Banshee; 06-14-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #622
liberty
Garage Queens - Not

Drives: '78 Camaro Z28, '80 Camaro Z28
Bought my first vehicle with keyless start (Toyota RAV4 V6) - a real convenience. Probably will not buy another vehicle without it.
liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #623
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Meh...much ado about nothing really.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #624
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
This is just stupid.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #625
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
I am not getting my switchblade key swapped out for a 1990's IROC key. Kiss my A$$ GM, I didn't buy a brand new $45k car to have an old key put in. Take care of us the right way and do what's right, don't pawn off all your old garbage left over crap. Take care of us, we the people bailed you out anyways so use our money to take care of us lol. Honestly hate to say it I haven't owned an american car for 16yrs since I had my 5.0 mustang in high school and it's cause of crap like this I haven't. Worked for Honda and Acura for many years, no way they would give customers a cheesy fix like this. Seems nothing has changed.

If you read it affects small people with their seat up high and forward. I am 6'1 and my legs aren't anywhere near the damn key. Rant over carry on lol.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #626
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Wow, I ran all over like crazy on Thursday to get my deal done and take delivery of my car. I did not want to take delivery on Friday the 13th. Guess I lucked out 'cause she's in my garage!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #627
wilson55

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2LT
Camaro Recall

Anyone know if this recent recall for ignition switches in Camaro's affects 2014 models as well? I feel like its a dumb question but I'm skeptical taking it in if I don't have to. Especially because I read they may swap out the switch-blade key with a standard key version. NO.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #628
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Yes all 14 at dealer or on transit to dealer are effected if you already own a 14 it is affected as well
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #629
durbojones

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro, M6, AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE1 View Post

If you read it affects small people with their seat up high and forward. I am 6'1 and my legs aren't anywhere near the damn key. Rant over carry on lol.

I am 5'5" and I don't have any issues with this.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #630
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Are you f/n kidding me GM? If they really want to make this right they can upgrade ours to same as the corvette/Cadillac proximity systems. How it should have been from the beginning. I mean $30k+ to $75k cars and it didn't even come with the proximity systems? Should have at least offered it as an option. Now with this recall you want us to go back to the Pass key system and seperate key FOB from the 90's.
The proximity system will work in our cars just have to be installed like anything else. There are aftermarket proximity systems for our Camaros out there. GM if you want to fix this give us upgrades to the proximity system. Not downgrade us to a 80's and 90's systems.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall