Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #183
yaniv901

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE
Issue not resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv901 View Post
I am at 420 miles right now. It happened again for the third time. I was dropping a friend home. We stepped out of the car and spoke for a few minutes. Got back into car and the annoying "Service Power Steering" error appeared again. I couldn't just wait in her drive-way for 15 minutes, she'd think I was weird. So I called her, stepped in and got myself a beer. Started the car after 15 minutes and the error had gone away.

The dealer couldn't figure it out the last time I took it in and he said "I know its not what you want to hear after spending 40k on a new car, but unfortunately we are unable to find the cause".

This is ridiculous. And its getting really annoying now.

I am trying to remember if there was a pattern. The one thing that was common in all three occurrences was that I did not lock the car. I simply walked away, came back after 5 to 10 minutes, and tried to start the car. Maybe I'll experiment this weekend, and see if I can force the "Power Steering Error" to appear again.

This has happened over 10 times now. No pattern. Happened after I locked the car. Love the car when it works. Hate the company's attitude. Hate the dealer's attitude. There is nothing I can do about it. I could take it to the dealer's shop and tell them to keep the car till they've fixed the issue - I don't think it'll help.

Last edited by yaniv901; 09-27-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
yaniv901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #184
yaniv901

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Apparenctly the remedy is , you move in with your ( friend ) have a beer every time you intend to drive the ZL1 and no more problems !!!
Haha, if only I could convince her !
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #185
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaniv901 View Post
Haha, if only I could convince her !
Just convince her that she came up with the idea.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #186
ffcars

Drives: 2013 Zl1 Convertible
Mine just failed... 1100 miles on it. Road side assist is on the way. I'll report back what the dealer says.
ffcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #187
ffcars

Drives: 2013 Zl1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcars View Post
Mine just failed... 1100 miles on it. Road side assist is on the way. I'll report back what the dealer says.
Dealer couldn't pull a code and the steering is working now.

I'm picking it up today.

Many people have posted that should this problem happen, low speed is a problem but higher speed is not. THAT IS INCORRECT!

This car has an electrical steering system and I can tell you first hand that at speed, this car is very dangerous without the power steering. I’m a big guy and I struggled to get the car turned at any speed.

When my car’s power steering went out yesterday it was like arm wrestling a bug guy around the turns at ANY SPEED. I won, but it took a lot of work.

The dealer couldn’t find a code and the problem cleared itself by the time road side assist got to me. Frankly, I’m pretty scared of what would happen if my wife were driving the car; especially with my 2 small kids in the back seat. I’m 90% positive that if this were to happen at high speed in a turn of any degree, the car will end up in the ditch or worse.

I really hope GM figures out this issue and sends out TSB’s to address this very, very dangerous problem.

I’m not happy that the codes cleared and the problem is gone because now the dealer has no way of fixing the car. I’m picking it up today, but I’m not very confident that the car is safe.

Be careful out there…
ffcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #188
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcars View Post
Dealer couldn't pull a code and the steering is working now.

I'm picking it up today.

Many people have posted that should this problem happen, low speed is a problem but higher speed is not. THAT IS INCORRECT!

This car has an electrical steering system and I can tell you first hand that at speed, this car is very dangerous without the power steering. I’m a big guy and I struggled to get the car turned at any speed.

When my car’s power steering went out yesterday it was like arm wrestling a bug guy around the turns at ANY SPEED. I won, but it took a lot of work.

The dealer couldn’t find a code and the problem cleared itself by the time road side assist got to me. Frankly, I’m pretty scared of what would happen if my wife were driving the car; especially with my 2 small kids in the back seat. I’m 90% positive that if this were to happen at high speed in a turn of any degree, the car will end up in the ditch or worse.

I really hope GM figures out this issue and sends out TSB’s to address this very, very dangerous problem.

I’m not happy that the codes cleared and the problem is gone because now the dealer has no way of fixing the car. I’m picking it up today, but I’m not very confident that the car is safe.

Be careful out there…
Did the dealer even check for a loose connection per the above earlier post with the picture? I am assuming they did and it was connected? Weird how some cars seem to do it. I have over 10K on my car and fortunately have not experienced it. Hope you somehow like the others here sort it out.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #189
Outwestjim

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
As a an update, my power steering failure & service suspension issues have not returned since the connector issue was discovered by the service dept.
Outwestjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #190
Badblu67

Drives: 2SS/RS 1LE
I'm in the middle of dealing with intermittent failures right now. My 1LE electric power steering failed on me Friday night after the dealer closed. Saturday, no issues, then it failed once again yesterday afternoon. I'm driving it around today hoping it will fail again during business hours so I can run it over to the dealership (leaving it running) so they can see it. I checked the front connector and it is secure, though I didn't pull it off to see if there was anything in the way...
Badblu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #191
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Oh no!

Feel free to send me a private message and we can take the necessary steps to get this inspected.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
William.. im really sorry the say this.....bc i love my ZL1 and love the way GM did a great job on it...but
why is it always a secret or private issue when we Customer's are here to know what the problem is and we are scared and need explanation on the issue.....is there someone shoting you down and tell's you to stay away from this because of dealer's lack's of knowledge....I Guess that you are only here for the IMAGE a not helping our community.....like i said i really love my ZL1 and i will even buy a C7 in 2-3 years but plz help us all .....before someone get serious injury and may be die you will have a certain responsibility to know about it and didnt do anything about it....

Eric.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #192
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
My thing is why havnt GM done any type of TSB or recall on this yet? I got my Z last Aug and this has happened to me on 3 seperate occassions since. But each occassion cleared itself after waiting 5-10 mins. Dealer said they couldnt duplicate the problem either and no codes were thrown so they cant fix the problem. I told my service guy if it could be the heat since our cars run so hot that it affects the wiring and electronics similar to how heat damages computers and laptops. He said I may be on to something there but says that there is no way to prove that so he cant just go ahead and replace the PS unit.
GM better fix this soon before someone gets killed. GM has known of this problem for over a year now maybe even more so I dont see why there's no solution to this yet. I know others have asked already but can chevy customer service provide any info on whether anything is being done and if so what is being done regarding this widely talked about problem that many of us are having? I mean is GM gonna actually wait until some is killed before anything gets resolved?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #193
580/556 ZL1

Drives: 2013ZL1/A6/T.BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
My thing is why havnt GM done any type of TSB or recall on this yet? I got my Z last Aug and this has happened to me on 3 seperate occassions since. But each occassion cleared itself after waiting 5-10 mins. Dealer said they couldnt duplicate the problem either and no codes were thrown so they cant fix the problem. I told my service guy if it could be the heat since our cars run so hot that it affects the wiring and electronics similar to how heat damages computers and laptops. He said I may be on to something there but says that there is no way to prove that so he cant just go ahead and replace the PS unit.
GM better fix this soon before someone gets killed. GM has known of this problem for over a year now maybe even more so I dont see why there's no solution to this yet. I know others have asked already but can chevy customer service provide any info on whether anything is being done and if so what is being done regarding this widely talked about problem that many of us are having? I mean is GM gonna actually wait until some is killed before anything gets resolved?
YES THEY WILL WAIT UNTILL SOMEONE GET INJURY SEVERLY BC WHO ARE WE TO DECIDE THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THERE ELECTRICAL POWER STEERING....WE ARE JUST STUPID CUSTOMER'S THAT DID SPEND 60K ON A GM CAR... THEY WON'T SPEND A PENNY ON A THINK THAT THEY DON'T DESERVE AS A PROBLEM.THE WORST THINK IS DEALER'S WON'T SEND ANY TECHNICAL PROBLEM ABOUT IT BC THEY CAN'T SEE ANY CODES OR DEFECT AT IT! SO HOLD ON YOUR STEERING WHEEL WITH BOTH HAND'S ALL THE TIME AND GET READY FOR THE WORST!!!
I got the same problem with my Toyota FJ Cruiser we have Engine Bay Body Rips (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html) its a 2008 and Toyota did make a move to resolve the problem in 2011 so i guess GM won't even take a look at it until 3-4 years or that someone die's or get sever injury.
All those big compagny work's the same way!!! they have the money and lawer's to back them up.........

Last edited by 580/556 ZL1; 10-07-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: im bad in grammar i know
580/556 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #194
yaniv901

Should post screenshots and links about this on Camaro/Mustang/Challenger forums. Be nice to let people know about this in auto shows as well. Never buying a GM again.

Last edited by yaniv901; 10-08-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Tense correction
Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #195
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
Well problems with my ps last night. I was going about 15 mph went it first messed up, felt like a bad spot*at a certain position in the*steering wheel, also made a noise. Also was screwed up all the way home on highway, any sharp turns to the right it would loose most power steering. Happens when the steering wheel was in a 2oclock position with a noise in the steering wheel you could feel and hear. Steering to left doesn't have the problem. Also no service messages or such
blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #196
ZL1-V

I have heard the noise before. It was a high pitched squeal when turned completely to right lock. The weird thing is it did it for two days never consistently and then disappeared and has not returned.