Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Nobody will answer!

Ok, so I posted this in the other section but nobody answered. Will somebody please help me out with this? I need an answer fast I am going to a muffler shop and I need to be able to explain what this guy did so I can get the exact same set-up, so here is the post from the other section! I am really worried about drone, I am going to a muffler shop tomorrow to get a quote, I am going to buy the resonated x-pipe for 100 bucks from apex and I am worried about droning and annoyance in the cabin, I am doing a muffler delete and running 3 inch pipes from the resonated x-pipe and then 3 1/2 inch tips, is a resonator delete needed? Can somebody explain this set up to me so I can explain it to my dad and he can explain it to the guy at the muffler shop? Thanks in advance! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288401 Theres also a video on there of the cold start and takeoff. Did he floor it on that take off?
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
There are 2 kinds of drone, AFM drone (4 cylinder mode), and V8 1500-2000 rpm drone.

AFM drone is if you have an L99, you either need a tune, or a range afm disabler device.

The more common drone, is the LS3/L99 drone around 2k rpm. The way to get rid of this, is with J-Pipes. SOLO makes an axleback with j pipes that changes the length of the pipe, altering the frequency, getting rid of the drone. They replace the mufflers, but arent mufflers. Basically straight pipes with J-pipes.

Now, an other wise stock system with SOLO axleback, will be a little loud, but not very loud. (You can hear it, but its not going to turn heads)

I have LT headers, HF cats, STOCK resonator, and SOLO axleback with j pipes. I would never remove the resonator, or driving would be unbearable. I think its the only thing keeping my exhaust from being too loud.

That being said, right now its perfect, loud outside the car, and under 2k rpm, you can barely hear it inside. But it will make people jump when you start it up, and is really loud when you stomp on it, but doesnt hurt your ears.

I have ZERO annoyance in the cabin with my setup, and I think the resonator is what I have to thank for that, as well as the J pipes.

LS3's resonator is smaller (louder)
L99's resonator is bigger (quieter)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
OP: you need to do a lot of reading before you start jumping into this as you seem to really not understand. To begin, what do you think you are going to accomplish by adding 3" piping from the resonator back? Also with a muffler delete there will be drone, so if you are worried about that, be prepared for it unless you add J-pipes.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
There are 2 kinds of drone, AFM drone (4 cylinder mode), and V8 1500-2000 rpm drone.

AFM drone is if you have an L99, you either need a tune, or a range afm disabler device.

The more common drone, is the LS3/L99 drone around 2k rpm. The way to get rid of this, is with J-Pipes. SOLO makes an axleback with j pipes that changes the length of the pipe, altering the frequency, getting rid of the drone. They replace the mufflers, but arent mufflers. Basically straight pipes with J-pipes.

Now, an other wise stock system with SOLO axleback, will be a little loud, but not very loud. (You can hear it, but its not going to turn heads)

I have LT headers, HF cats, STOCK resonator, and SOLO axleback with j pipes. I would never remove the resonator, or driving would be unbearable. I think its the only thing keeping my exhaust from being too loud.

That being said, right now its perfect, loud outside the car, and under 2k rpm, you can barely hear it inside. But it will make people jump when you start it up, and is really loud when you stomp on it, but doesnt hurt your ears.

I have ZERO annoyance in the cabin with my setup, and I think the resonator is what I have to thank for that, as well as the J pipes.

He has a V6, no AFM. I know you know that but I'm guessing you think the OP has a SS.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Well, if you want it like the guy in the other thread, you want to delete the resonator. That's what he did. It says in his very first post.

So xpipe, 3" tube straight back. IMO, I would go with 4" double walled tips.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Well, if you want it like the guy in the other thread, you want to delete the resonator. That's what he did. It says in his very first post.

What do those 4 inch tips do differently and how much are j pipes and can I include them in my set up? Just saw you have to have the correct length for the j-pipes do you know the correct length for my v6 camaro?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post

With a muffler delete he'll have pretty decent drone.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
He has a V6, no AFM. I know you know that but I'm guessing you think the OP has a SS.
Haha, well shit, didnt see it written anywhere, and usually the V8 guys are worried about drone.

Disregard what i said.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
What do those 4 inch tips do differently and how much are j pipes and can I include them in my set up?
4" tips do nothing, just astetic. Several places sell them, plus any decent shop can make them.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
4" tips do nothing, just astetic. Several places sell them, plus any decent shop can make them.
They can make the J-pipes for a v6 and how much for both of them do you think? I was alos thinking quad tips i know I will have to change the rear bumper but I was just thinking about it and will that change the sound?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
They can make the J-pipes for a v6 and how much for both of them do you think? I was alos thinking quad tips i know I will have to change the rear bumper but I was just thinking about it and will that change the sound?
Quad tips wont change the sound much, definitely not in a bad way, just different.

You dont need a whole new bumper for quads, you can buy the 1LE DIFFUSER for under 100$.

OR you can cut your diffuser with a dremel to fit quad tips like I did, for free.

Not 100% sure how the j-pipes work with v6. Read this thread for info on J-Pipes (aka Helmholtz pipe). http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=helmholtz It has all the math and calculations needed.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
There will be no noticable sound difference with changing to quad tips.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
RedVictory
Luv my LS3

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3
Quote:
Haha, well shit, didnt see it written anywhere, and usually the V8 guys are worried about drone.

Disregard what i said.

Still, Kudos for taking the time to write all that out.

Its good info for the newbies.
RedVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:

I have a vert with the L99, and I am planning on getting the Solo j-pipe kit for mine for this very reason.